Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 02:07

PC gaming is currently in " disarray," says Bleszinski

Epic' s Cliff Bleszinski has said that the studio is focusing on producing console titles for the time being, claiming PC gaming is currently in " disarray" .

" I think people would rather make a game that sells 4.5 million copies than a million and Gears is at 4.5 million right now on the 360," he told MTV Multiplayer.

" I think the PC is just in disarray... What' s driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and WOW and a lot of stuff that' s in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That' s the direction PC is evolving into."

" For me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we' re doing," confirmed Bleszinski. " It' s important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we' re at."

Bleszinski declined to name said games, refusing to be drawn on a much-rumoured sequel to the multi-million selling global hit Gears of War. However, he did say Epic is sticking to making games for the demographic it' s familiar with.

" I don' t want to win over [someone' s] little college sister, because that' s not the kind of game I do," he said. " I' m not going to make f***ing Cooking Mama."

Link
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 02:15
I think Crysis sales prove that he is wrong.
Vx Chemical

RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 02:22

I think Crysis sales prove that he is wrong.

you can make a game like crysis and sell 1 million, or you can make gears of war and sell 4,5 million, if your a buisness man, what would be your focus?
Evilkiller

RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 02:42
I think you should consider that Crysis has had very steap system requirements and still managed to sell over a million units. Obviously, Gears has sold more, but Gears has also been released for more than a year.

I just wanted to make a point that if you develop a good PC game it will sell. It' s not like there are less PC gamers out there than before, it' s just that with ever changing system requirements and the developement of new technologies the companys themselves shut out a big number of potential customers. If Sims or WoW had requirements comparable to Crysis when they were released (i.e. taking the newest hardware available back then when they were released) they wouldn' t have sold as well as they did.
Vx Chemical

RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 02:50
If buisness were as good on the pc as on consoles dont you think more games would be released primarily on the pc?
Evilkiller

RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 02:59
Of course it would, but as I already said, the problem is that with PC you have a constantly changing plattform and as system requirements rise, your potential customer base sinks. I mean, I can bet that the PC port of Assassin' s Creed won' t sell well because it requires a dual core processor to run. it would sell better if it could run without one.

Vx Chemical

RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 03:04

Of course it would, but as I already said, the problem is that with PC you have a constantly changing plattform and as system requirements rise, your potential customer base sinks. I mean, I can bet that the PC port of Assassin' s Creed won' t sell well because it requires a dual core processor to run. it would sell better if it could run without one.

and thats the downfall of pc gaming
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 06:58
Gears of War (360) did 2M on day one.

Halo 3 did 3M on day one.

Xbox 360 has the most profitable software market. Period.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 13:04
Mark Rein also said something along those lines recently. PC gamers cry throughout the world.

The PC will still remain the most experimental and cutting edge platform imo. So the devs after the most money will leave, and only poor devs that cant afford console licensing fees will stay....oh and Valve.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 15, 2008 16:11
the forever upward charge of pc specs is both a blessing and a curse for developers. Do they push for the sky and limit sales, or go for mediocre and hope it appeals to a larger crowd. For all its installed user base pc gaming really should have a larger stranglehold on the gaming market. EPICs viewpoint does seem the most pragmatic, get the sales from consoles and port to pc later.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: EPIC to focus on consoles (PC gaming is in dissaray) - Feb 16, 2008 03:13

....oh and Valve.

They also control (part of) their distribution, with Steam, which also ads to profits. But even they are starting to do simultaneous console releases.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll