Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 EDGE magazine Scores
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 05:02
Have not read a games magazing in the flesh for a long time, especially EDGE.

From what i played the reviews are very accurate:

Mario Galaxy 10
Uncharted - 8
Assassins Creed - 7
Crysis - 9
Mass Effect - 7 (i think this should of been an 8)
Call of Duty 4 - 9
Kane and Lynch - 6
Tony Hawk: Proving Ground - 6
The Simpsons Game - 5
Zack and Wiki - 8 (i would of given this a 9)
The Witcher - 5
Bladestorm - 8
Castlevania Dracula X - 7
Silent Hill 0rigins - 7
Hellgate: London - 6
Timeshift - 6
Mutant Storm Empire - 8
Guitar Hero III - 6
Beowulf - 5
Need For Speed: Prostreet - 6
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 05:29
Games tm is a better mag, I get it every month. Most of the above scores are accurate but I don' t think I can forgive them for giving Prime 3 only 7 and Halo 3 a 10.

Here is what they said about Mass Effect: " Mass Effect is still enjoyable enough to warrant 24 hours of play (completion with sub-missions), and the stops it makes en route are visually stunning. It just doesn’t find what it goes looking for: the myth and exotica to accurately follow Star Wars." Now how ***ing dumb is that statement!
< Message edited by Duffman -- 23 Nov 07 21:36:43 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 05:40

Prime 3 only 7 and Halo 3 a 10.

I know, WTF?
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 05:43
how the hell can they give mass a 7 , the same issue gave Kane&lynch a 6, that is a 1 point difference wow?!! their opinions became invalid for that.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 06:40
I think the lack of good RPG in recent years has left a lot of new reviewers unable to rate the génre. Sometimes i think they rate a game like Mass Effect low because it will give more hits, hey these guys dont like the big game, why is that. And it turns out its for no reason apparently.

The eurogamer reviewer clearly had no idea how to play an RPG, and should have been fired for stupid review like that.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 07:11
7 is a good score. besides, ME clearly is not a game without it' s faults, there' s alot of room for improvement and tweaking. It definitely deserves around 7/8 due to it' s ground-breaking Interactive Narrative alone . This factor of ME wipes the floor with all before it.

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 23 Nov 07 23:11:48 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 07:29
ME deserves a 9/10 at least, I' d give it a 10.

As for the SW comment, I like ME is because it' s not star wars. Star Wars is childish and goofy, ME has a much more serious " Space opera" type of thing which is what I like.

< Message edited by emofag -- 23 Nov 07 23:32:00 >
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 07:38
I' m going to stick up for Edge here. I get the magazine every month and more often than not agree with their opinion. They aren’t afraid to say what they think and have given a few big name games lower scores because they didn’t feel the game reached it’s potential. Bioshock for example only got an 8 if I remember correctly. Mass Effect might have gotten a 7 but for Edge that’s a good score. They hardily ever give away a 10 despite the few they’ve given recently. Read the review before you bash the score. They bring up some great points about Mass Effect and justify them. It’s not all bashing for the sake of making a name for themselves.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 07:44

It’s not all bashing for the sake of making a name for themselves.

True, if they wanted to do that, they would have (the almost faultless) SMG a 7. That would of gain much more attention as it only recieved -near-perfect socres while ME has seen a quite a few lower ones already..
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 23 Nov 07 23:46:14 >
emofag

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 07:49

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

It’s not all bashing for the sake of making a name for themselves.

True, if they wanted to do that, they would have (the almost faultless) SMG a 7. That would of gain much more attention as it only recieved -near-perfect socres while ME has seen a quite a few lower ones already..

Not really, the only major place that gave it under 9.0 was game spot.

EDGE gave it the lowest score its gotten so far anywhere.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/930279.asp
< Message edited by emofag -- 23 Nov 07 23:50:22 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 07:53

Not really, the only major place that gave it under 9.0 was game spot.

still lower than galxies though.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 08:20
ME is goty.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 08:25
ME might not be without faults, but you cant compare it with games like Kane and Lynch, Silent Hill Origins, and its certainly got one up on AC as well.

I call edge a bullshit magazine.

They gave the witcher a 5, it might not be the best title but its more than a 5, edge doesnt know RPG' s it seems.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 08:50

ME might not be without faults, but you cant compare it with games like Kane and Lynch, Silent Hill Origins, and its certainly got one up on AC as well.

well exactly, they gave lynch a 6, mass effect is just one point higher, this is bullshit, i didn' t play lynch yet but i know it' s game full of problems and that' s according to many reviews

Gameranking K&l ==> 70%

Mass effect ===> 93% so far

now that' s what i say pretty accurate, mass effect is absolutly great, it should get a 7 just for the narrative if everything else was average , but mass effect got amazing graphics and art direction, great voice acting, decent control, phenomenal atmosphere and evrything else which have smaller factors are between average and good. 7/10 is a joke.
emofag

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 08:57
Bottom line is something like ME doesn' t come along very often, it shouldn' t be getting 7' s there no other RPG this gen that even comes close to it.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 09:02
Id personally swap a few of those scores around. ME for Crysis for example. Also AC deserves better. I think AC and ME both get marked down for their flaws, but in comparison to the brilliance their worth it.

Crysis on the other hand, I cant forgive such a cheesy plot. The gameplay is merely FarCry + Force Powers. And the graphics are irrelevant to me, since I dont have a machine that can run it. By the time I do, something else will have come out that looks ' photorealistic' . They built the game to sell the engine. Definitely not a 9.

I used to really like Edge too.
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 10:03
Is this a thread about review scores?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 10:03
Looks that way to me.
Majik

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 10:04

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Looks that way to me.

Well you know what we should do...

/joking
Majik

RE: EDGE magazine Scores - Nov 24, 2007 10:16

Anyway, i' m 4 1/2 hours into Mass Effect and i' m seriously impressed, ...if not in awe.

The story is engaging and genuinely interesting, the character models are nothing short of sublime, the voice acting is perfect, the sheer attention do detail is overwhelming, and it looks fantastic to boot.

It' s a benchmark for western RPG' s.

That said, it comes with the usual Bioware traits:

* Inconistent framerate
* Tearing (although the severity depends on what cables you' re using)
* Collision detaction problems
* Terrible NPC AI

I got out of a lift and noticed Ashley wasn' t following me, so i tried the regroup command, nothing happened, ...so i tried the move to command, ...nothing happened. Anyway, after mesing about trying to unblock her for a minute or two she tells me that the terrain is too rough?

WTF? It' s a fookin lift darlin, with a laser cut floor!

Then i noticed that my AI teammates constantly take up the spot i was to use in combat and i have to manually move them. That' s a pain.

The issues aren' t game breaking, but they do stop the game from being a 10/10.

Obviously i need to finish the game, but so far i' d say giving it a 7 would be criminal. It' s not as polished and balanced a Super Mario Galaxy, but it' s easily one of the best games this year, if not the past two years.
< Message edited by majik -- 24 Nov 07 2:16:44 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread