Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 26 of 26
TXSPheonix

• Total Posts : 38
RE: DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases - Aug 10, 2005 12:23

This thread is laughable. It should be locked and deleted asap

Yeah,

I went extremely overboard...sorry, seriously.

I can' t believe I talked about me bringing those episodes to class...and arguing over this.

oh well
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases - Aug 10, 2005 12:57
Hey, this thread is cool. Compare it to some of those really dumb threads posted in the forums, then you' ll see that this is a pretty normal topic. Hey, even if you don' t like this specific thread, then why post here, huh?

And TXS, keep posting your thoughts. I' m really interested in your opinions...
TXSPheonix

• Total Posts : 38
RE: DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases - Aug 10, 2005 14:03

And TXS, keep posting your thoughts. I' m really interested in your opinions...

Ok

But, still, I did go abit over the line, writing like 9 paragraphs, after all, it' s just a game console...
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases - Aug 13, 2005 12:24
I' m not even gonna entertain the blatant platform fanboyism going on in this thread, LOL.. :P

Anyways BOTH handhelds bring something to the entertainment table and both are set to provide some very memorable gameplay experiences. Now admittedly, I' ve pretty much always been a PSP man cause quite frankly, I' m a sucker for powerful handhelds, which is why the Gameboy Advance was my first Nintendo handheld, I never owned the original Gameboy or Gameboy Color. Hell, I never even owned or wanted a Game Gear, I made a beeline straight for the 16-bit Nomad and Turbo Express. So with that said, yes I' m enamoured by the technical muscle of the PSP. But even the best graphics can' t hold a candle to great gameplay experiences, which both handhelds can easily provide.

While I pretty much have a truckload of games for the PSP, I purchased a DS for one game, and that was Nanostray. A beautiful game in motion but so uninspired as a shooter. But still I don' t regret the DS purchase at all cause I always have to get my shooter fix. It' s amazing that while the PSP is graphically superior to the DS by a significant margin, Nanostray looks way better than the current 3 shooters on the PSP combined!

As far as the gaming lineup goes, to be honest, I' m digging the PSP' s current lineup more. Despite the slowness in game releases there are a lot of enjoyable titles out for it right now.

However, as for the stuff coming out the rest of the year I definitely have to give it to the DS. It' s getting the better version of Viewtiful Joe in my opinion. An actual action-platformer instead of a Smash Brothers wannabe reject. And you have Castlevania of course, as well as Nintendogs, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Rush, Phoenix Wright, and yall are definitely gonna laugh at me but to hell with ya anyways, but the DS game I' m kinda looking forward to the most at this point is that Japanese all Male cheerleader game that Ricardo demoed on Gamespot' s ' On the Spot' show. The only PSP release I' m looking forward to later in the year is Ys The Ark of Napishtim.. I' ve never been crazy about the Grand Theft Auto series, the only one I enjoyed a bit was Vice City, and also I absolutely hate the Gran Turismo series.

On the subject of ports, watered down ports and what not, let' s not forget that the PSP isn' t the only one home to console ports, the DS is home to them as well, and when going from current-gen console to handheld GUESS which one is gonna be even more watered down? So trying to argue about the PSP getting ports and selectively forgetting about the DS getting them is pretty silly.

As for UMD movies, the naysayers at Gamefaqs were so adament that they would fail and now look at them, all the naysayers are now eating crow and I just love twisting that particular knife sometimes, LOL. UMD movies have been amazingly successful and as times even outperforming their DVD counterparts in total sales. I have a few UMD movies and I love being able to watch them on the PSP. Yes there' s the memory stick option to convert and transfer movies to but regardless of what high setting you use in converting, the visual quality of the UMD movies just blows them away! People can also argue about having some super duper surround sound setup at home with 56 inch screen TVs till they are blue in the face, AND they can argue about portable DVD players all they want, but NONE of those items are as portable as a PSP cause none of them will fit in your pocket . When I' m on the bus, train, ferry, or just hanging out somewhere with time to kill, all I have to do is reach into my pocket and pull out the PSP for some quick entertainment.

All in all, I think what many seem to be forgetting is that the DS went through a major gaming drought early on in its life. Remember January, February, March, and April?? The lineup was really piss-poor back then. The PSP actually launched pretty strong with a solid variety of titles available and not many will deny that it had a better launch line-up than the DS did at its respective launch. But as with any new hardware, developers need time to wrap themselves around the hardware and get stuff out.

The PSP will no doubt pick-up later on just like the DS will. Let' s not forget that Capcom has a Devil May Cry game in the works, there' s a WWE game coming out, as well as a truckload of previously announced titles. 2006 is gonna be an awesome time for both DS and PSP owners.

N-Gage owners on the other hand, have my deepest condolences
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases - Aug 13, 2005 17:14
To me the PSP is just another hand held. It is much more powerful than previous handhelds, but it is just another handheld. And as a rule I generally hate handhelds. Previous to the DS I had a Neo Geo Pocket Color (the " Neo Geo" term was sure misleading) and a GameBoy Advance, both of which quickly collected about 9 inches of dust. But the DS is cool because it offers a new experience, handheld or not. The DS wouldn' t work if it wasn' t a handheld.

I still only see one game on the PSP that I want to play, and that is Ridge Racer, but I can play that at home on my PS2 (or a version of it) and I don' t want to spend a ton of money on a new version which is trapped on such a tiny screen. When I am out and about, I am usually trying to accomplish something, like driving or working. I don' t ride buses anymore (I don' t have to commute in NY either). But the DS has many more games that I will enjoy coming out or already out. Nanostray requires you look at the bottom screen to select your weapon, but I found that I could just keep the same weapon all the time and do fine. At first I complained about needing to remove my finger from the B button to select a weapon via the touch screen, but the L button works as fire so you can just hold that down. The game is fair. Feel the Magic and Wario Ware Touched bring a whole new style of play that is immensely fun! The upcoming Castlevania will be great, even though that will be mostly conventional, but that' s OK.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 14 Aug 05 1:16:37 >
Jakfan3

• Total Posts : 26
RE: DS vs PSP: Upcoming game releases - Sep 06, 2005 13:03
DAxter and burnout legends duh
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 26 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages