Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Blu-ray Movies
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
Blu-ray Movies - Jun 22, 2006 21:56
...Hey, did you guys know that Ultraviolet is available to own on Blu-Ray already?... ....infact the complete list of current films available on Blu-Ray at the moment reads;

50 First Dates
Hitch
House of Flying Daggers
The Fifth Element
Underworld: Evolution
XXX
The Terminator
Crash
Lord of War
Saw
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
The Punisher
Ultraviolet
Basic Instinct 2
Benchwarmers
Species
Stealth
The Last Waltz

...i' m pretty surprised that a decent selection of Blu-ray films are available so early.... ....i thought Blu-ray movies weren' t really gonna be available until well into next year, after PS3 had been on sale for a good few months....

....i didn' t realise that Blu-ray movies were so much smaller than dvds either...

Question: ....do Blu-ray films offer anything more than just high definition?...

....y' know how most people got sold to dvd' s because of all the extras included on them? ....well, is Blu-ray just the same but in HD?.... ...because i don' t think HD alone will convince most people to take it up...

...then again, if you were an early dvd adopter, you just might be coming to the time where you would be considering a replacement for your old machine... in which case an upgrade to Blu-ray might be considered viable....

....i thought BR films were going to be pretty expensive also, but Blu-ray Ultraviolet retails for $28.99 officially, which is cheaper than i expected.....

....anyway, do you think film fans will be abandon the dvd format?..
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 23, 2006 02:20
House of Flying Daggers
The Fifth Element
The Terminator
Lord of War

Well, ^^^ THOSE are good films. The rest suck ass!

Blu-Ray itself is just a larger sized disc, large enough to fit HD movies on. It offers nothing more than a higher resolution picture. But this and HD-DVD are fu*king pointless when it comes to film. Sure i could use larger capacity discs for backing up stuff on my PC, but i couldn' t care less about high definition movies.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 23, 2006 02:51
Isn' t high-defenition movies great if you have really huge TV' s?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 23, 2006 05:12
yep, thats the 1080p i think anyway. But not everybody has a tv the size of a bus so i dont think it will matter.

Hell i dont really care about hd. Its nice. thats all.
Bishonen

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 25, 2006 02:40

House of Flying Daggers
The Fifth Element
The Terminator
Lord of War

Well, ^^^ THOSE are good films. The rest suck ass!

...buy ' good selection' i meant a broad range of films which cater to various tastes and preferences....

...i am a little surprised that people here love their games in HD but seem to hate films in HD.....

...strange....

...personally i think the majority of consumers DO prefer their movies in HD, i was just asking if HD was attractive enough on it' s own, for people to abandon their fairly recent dvd+flat/widescreen set ups....

...despite it' s lack of new features, there is a potential ace up Blu-ray' s sleeve though..... ....most gamers never bought a dedicated dvd player!.....

.....the half a gazillion people who own a PS2 or X-box rely on their gaming machines as the sole source to watch dvds on....

...so now that we are all in the process of replacing our last gen machines, why would anyone bother with dvd?...

...you can still play your old dvd' s in in a Blu-ray/HD-dvd machine right?.....

...so why would you ask your mom to get you the standard dvd version of Ultraviolet, when you' ve just unwrapped your shiny new PS3 this Christmas?.....

...also, is it possible that Blu-ray films in the future will contain more content than the dvd versions?....

...slightly off topic: does any one know what price 360' s HD-DVD attachment will retail for?... ...or what it looks like??.... ...information about it seems to be scarce....

...and when is it supposed to be coming out?...

]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 25, 2006 19:21
I think that DVDs are only lately beginning to be what they were meant to be - we have some cool old movies released now , some independent stuff.When DVD started as a format you could have only some new movies on it.

DVD would be fine for another 3 years at least - if not more.

I' m staying with DVD - and some good upscanning DVD player
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 25, 2006 20:22
Majik you forgot one movie , CRASH

crash doesn' t suck ass, it' s a very good movie, i rated it 9/10, have you seen it ?

I hope NOT.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 25, 2006 20:31

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

I think that DVDs are only lately beginning to be what they were meant to be - we have some cool old movies released now , some independent stuff.When DVD started as a format you could have only some new movies on it.

DVD would be fine for another 3 years at least - if not more.

I' m staying with DVD - and some good upscanning DVD player

I agree, I think dvd still keeps a lot of people interested and serves it' s purpose well. I know a couple of people with hd tv' s (' ' 42' ' not necessairly the size of busses) but even they don' t seem to notice the difference that much,and most of them seem to be subscribing to sky' s ' ' hd' ' services anyway which takes away the need for a hd player to a degree seeing as you can record.
Nitro

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 25, 2006 23:03

Majik you forgot one movie , CRASH

crash doesn' t suck ass, it' s a very good movie, i rated it 9/10, have you seen it ?

I hope NOT.

Ok, but WHICH Crash is it?!
Bishonen

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 26, 2006 22:47

most of them seem to be subscribing to sky' s ' ' hd' ' services anyway which takes away the need for a hd player to a degree seeing as you can record.

...well that' s like saying, " there' s no point in buying dvd' s, c' ause i can just wait till my favourite movie airs on cable and then record it" ....

..and wouldn' t you want the extras that BR & dvd include?.....

...anyway, i think you and ]GaNgStA[ misunderstood my main point.....

... if you own a PS3/360, why would you bother buying the dvd version of your favourite film?....

...i' m just thinking that whilst most people would normally be pretty much indifferent to HD movies (myself included), because of consoles pushing HD so strongly this gen through Blu-ray and HD-DVD, it will likely signal the end of dvds pretty soon.....

...especially so with the PS3.... ...you' ve just sold a kidney for one.. ..and now you' re telling me that your going to completely ignore it' s Blu-ray films function and stick to watching dvd' s on that Panassonic you got five years ago?.....

....i think not...

< Message edited by Bishonen -- 26 Jun 06 14:49:58 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 27, 2006 01:56
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 29, 2006 00:46
High definition KICKS ASS! All you people saying it' s not a big difference need EYEBALL IMPLANTS! I mean, going from 480 interlaced (SD television) to just 720p is THREE TIMES the resolution! It' s like taking your computer monitor from 800x600 to 2400x1800!!! Well, whatever. I' ll just pray for you all.

Oh, and here' s a thread with a little info and a pic.

ORIGINAL: Gaiden BLACK

Thanks for that link ganagsta sounds interesting, do u think blu ray is the only thing ps3 have going for them?

Definitely not! The PS3 is a very capable game machine in the right hands (based on specs and what I' ve seen thus far). That being said, I haven' t really seen any games that have made me want it yet, but the Blu-ray capabilities do look very attractive to me.
Bishonen

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 29, 2006 03:10
....thanks for the link man....

...errr...

....hmmm...

.....i was going to point out that it' s price wasn' t included in that link.....

....but...

If it is connected via USB, just how piss-poor do you think the transfer rate will be?

....let me get this straight, it' s likely that it will send High Definition signals to your 360 via USB?..... ....are you serious??.....

...i presume that fire wire 400 and 800 ports are standard on PC' s, like it is on my G5, right?.....

....well....

.....i don' t wanna trash talk someone' s future HD player... but...
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 30, 2006 01:17
Do people actually think there will be a problem with HD-DVD playback on the 360?! Get serious! Microsoft knows their shit! I doubt that they' d release an add-on that cannot stream data fast enough!

Anybody see that Lik-Sang has a page for an HDMI cable for the 360!! YEAH!!
Nitro

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 30, 2006 10:08
I think he' s underestimating USB 2.0 actually.

See, HD-DVD, like Blu-Ray has a data transfer rate of 36 Mbit/s while USB 2.0 can transfer date at speeds up to 480 Mbit/s. USB is ideal for the add-on.

It' s might look ugly but at least they didn' t force you to pay for it and if HD-DVD fails Microsoft could easily release a Blu-Ray add-on.
Silentbomber

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 30, 2006 20:48
then Microsoft would have to pay Sony lots of royalties. which they wont like. Why do you think they are using HD-dvd?

And that reminds me, arent all Dvd players paying royalties to Sony becuase they helped co-devolp the dvd just like the blue ray?
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 30 Jun 06 12:55:35 >
Nitro

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jun 30, 2006 22:28

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

And that reminds me, arent all Dvd players paying royalties to Sony becuase they helped co-devolp the dvd just like the blue ray?

Absolutely not. Sony tried pushing their OWN DVD format and it wasn' t accepted. It never made it to market.
Eastwood

• Total Posts : 158
RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jul 01, 2006 03:20
when was that? 97?
Nitro

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jul 01, 2006 07:30

ORIGINAL: Eastwood

when was that? 97?

Around that time.
Silentbomber

RE: Blu-ray Movies - Jul 01, 2006 09:43
right, but didnt all the firms join together and form the dvd, Sony included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd

So who is getting the money now?
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 1 Jul 06 1:43:51 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages