Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Anybody here read fantasy?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 31
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 19, 2005 07:28
Looking for anybody else here who reads fantasy. I just finished off the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and it was excellent, highly reccomended. I' m working on her second trilogy now, and so far love it. Also, has anybody read Chainfire, Terry Goodkinds latest enty into is multi thousand page gospel? The last 2 haven' t been so hot, but I' ve been hearing good things about this one.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 19, 2005 15:17
to be honest, i never heard of those books or writers, altough i did enjoy HitchHiker' s Guide to the Galaxy. Is the second ' the restaurent at the end of the universe' any good?
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 19, 2005 15:32
Chainfire screams at me to buy it everytime I' m at the bookstore. I' ll probably pick it up soon now, since I finally finished The Dark Tower series. I have to say though, the cover art (if it can be called that) is some of the worst I' ve ever seen.

BTW, I want to shamelessy plug Jim Butcher' s Dresden Files again. This series about a wizard detective is great. All of them are paperbacks, so they are relatively inexpensive.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 19, 2005 20:52
I looked longingly at Chainfire the other night as well, but like mxpx182 said, i wasn' t overly impressed by the latest installments by Goodkind.

I just started the Farseer trilogy by Hobb, that is some good stuff. I am waiting to get my hands on the second book. Fantasy novels are like my drug of choice.
mxpx182

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 20, 2005 10:08
Yoshimitsu, I have to agree with you that The chainfire cover art is hoffible! yikes, ugggggly. but man finally somebody to talk about the dark tower with! What did you think about the final ending to the book?! I loved it. Some people hated it, but to me it was absolutely what I wanted without even knowing it.

Rikka, glad to hear that you are liking the Robin Hobb stuff. It gets pretty difficult to read, not in that it' s not any good, just in that things really don' t go the way you want them too. At least that' s how it was for me. Reading all night, and hating whats happening. And then Barely being able to put it down. As a second note, quit looking longingly at chainfire, just go ahead and buy it!! You know you want to, so just do it!!
Rikka

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 21, 2005 11:13
It is not a matter or wants, it is a matter of money, and me having none of it.
mxpx182

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 21, 2005 12:27
Money Schmoney!!!! Sell some blood!!! buy it buy it buy it!!
yoshimitsu15

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 21, 2005 14:43
I saw the ending coming. I almost quit reading where Stephen King suggested, but as they say, " Curiousity killed the cat" . I think it was a bit sad, but then I thought all that happened in that last book was pretty sad. The ending fit, and I also liked the nice little touch about the horn. Probably the best thing about that book was that I finally finished that series. Now I have to wait for Robert Jordan to spit out the last 5-6 Wheel of Time books and George R. R. Martin to finish his A Song of Ice and Fire series. Not to mention Harry Potter and the Dresden files, both of which are top notch modern-fantasy series. I know I sound like a broken record, but Butcher is writing one of the best fantasy series I' ve ever read. I' m just surprised I had never heard of him before...
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 22, 2005 07:09
Love Fantasy! I' m currently re-reading Tad Williams' Otherland series. Just a few of my fav authors are Robert Jordan, Sara Douglas and Terry Goodkind.
yoshimitsu15

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 22, 2005 15:12
It seems like none of you have heard of George R. R. Martin. His series, A Song of Ice and Fire, is one of the best out there...if not THE best. He doesn' t really focus on stuff like magic. He mainly focuses on the conflicts between all the major houses in his books. The great thing about his series is that summer and winter sometime last for years. The main story line focuses on a family that are the first defense against an ancient race that were banished years ago across the Ice Wall. A good description would be like the Ring Wraiths in LOTR, except they have bodies and love the cold. So, the main parts of the books are focused on all of the families trying to become the new royal family, but in the background you have this great feeling of approaching danger. As the Stark family motto states....Winter is Coming. BTW, I haven' t told you anything that you wouldn' t read in the beginning of the first book. I' m not sure I could even put any spoilers here because all of the books are so huge that it' s kind of hard to remember all the little things. When I say huge, I mean it...somewhere around 1,000 pages on one of the books I believe.
Rikka

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 22, 2005 16:28
LOL

I was just thinking about Martin. I love his books, i think they are the best i have every read. I even own the board game based off of " Game of Thrones" . What a brilliant writer and a delicious series.
yoshimitsu15

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 22, 2005 17:44
www.dragonmount.com

That' s a good place to find the latest info on The Wheel of Time books. I just checked back today and was reminded that The Knife of Dreams is coming out in October...only 9 more months. I just hope it' s a little better than the last book...the last was good, but not as good as the first 5.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/

I' m not going to go into why you should read this series anymore...I swear...

http://www.jkrowling.com/

For all of you Potter fans...I regularly check here because there is a door which opens sometimes with nice little riddles that tell you information about the upcoming books...very handy.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

The official website for A Song of Ice and Fire. He recently updated saying that the latest book, A Feast for Crows, is still not finished. He said that it is already at 1,300 pages, several hundred that are still in rough draft, and still more chapters that have not been written. This book is going to take months to read.
mxpx182

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 23, 2005 17:52
Martin' s books are amazing, but I have to say I' m getting really frustrated with the long wait here! I' ve played the game of thrones board game as well Rikka, what do you think of it?? Do you like the strateg involved??
Yoshimitus, I give you credit for sticking with Jordan. I read up to bo 9, but I just can' t do it anymore. I' ve never read books by an author who just seems to enjoy seeing how many words he can put in type. It' s just getting rediculuos how little happens per book. I really enjoyed them up till book 4 though.

You guys and gals should check out Greg Keys' Kingdom of Bone and Thorn series. Book 1: the Briar King, and Book 2: the Charnel Prince are already out, and they are awsome.
yoshimitsu15

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 23, 2005 19:18
I have a special way with dealing with Jordan' s series. I know there is a great story underneath, so when I' m reading and I see about three paragraphs explaining how a forest looks I usually just skim those and move on. So basically I know a lot about the actual story in the Wheel of Time, but I couldn' t tell you how beautiful the city of Camelyn is.
mxpx182

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 24, 2005 06:20
That' s not a bad strategy. My way of dealing with it is to no longer read his books. Trouble is I am still mildly interested in the story that got me hookd inthe first 4 books, so I simply read one of the numerous chapter summaries that are available for his new books that other people wrtie for the frustrated masses. That way I' m assured of never having to read about Nyneave tugging her braid again!! Joy!
Rikka

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 24, 2005 09:36
Mxpx182.... I said i OWN the game, i have yet to play it. I have to find the time and patience to sit down and learn it, but from what i hear it is a good game (if not a little aggressive)

I too have read the Briar King and Charnal Prince. They were pretty good. The problem is, now i have started all these series, but there are no more installments ready for me to read, so i go on to the next series, and now they are all jumbled in my head. I have to sit for a minute and think about what happened in which series and which characters were involved in what.
mxpx182

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 24, 2005 09:50
Well I reccoemnd playing it with someone who wants to, sure to be a good time. And hey, I' m established now!!!!! sweet.

Hey, I' m thinking of going out and buying chainfire today. Anybody think this is a good idea? Anybody else buying it?
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 1/24/2005 10:02:24 AM >
yoshimitsu15

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 24, 2005 13:43
I' m probably going to swing by the local bookstore sometime this week and make a purchase. I don' t really have anything else better to read...
Rikka

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 24, 2005 20:48
I am thinking about picking it up as well, just have to wait for the paycheck... then it will likely be mine.
mxpx182

RE: Anybody here read fantasy? - Jan 25, 2005 06:26
wow, looking back at this thread, it looks like Gollum and Brad Pitt must love eachother! Yoshimitsu, if you haven' t read the briar king by Greg Keyes yet, pick that up when you go to the book store this weekend. It' s paper back 7 bucks or something like that, and you will not be dissapointed, you' ll only be slightly frustrated that book 3 and 4 aren' t out yet, and that you' ll have to spring for the hardcover of the Charnel Prince, book 2.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 31

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message