Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 And the bestselling game of the year is...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 04:10
Call of Duty 4 biznotches!

Apparently it' s beaten out Halo 3 on Xbox Live as well.

Activision has announced that combined data from NPD, Chart Track and GfK shows that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was the best-selling game worldwide in 2007.

Since release in November, the game has sold over seven million units and has also become the most popular game played on Microsoft' s Xbox Live service.

" We' re very excited about this achievement especially given so many competitive titles this year," said Will Kassoy, senior vice president of Activision.

" Consumer and critics agree that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of the best games ever created and further establishes Call of Duty as one of the premier brands in the industry. This ground-breaking game and franchise continue to establish new standards by which all other action games will be judged," he added.

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 04:15

Hopefully this will force Bungie to get off their asses and fix halo 3. As of right now, CoD4>All
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 04:19

As of right now, CoD4 Multiplayer>All

*Fixed

I' ll be honest. CoD4' s campaign was alright, and most certainly better than three, but it' s almost like it was too much.

Enemies spawned left and right, anybody who' s completed the entire game on Veteran can back up my statement here. Until you pass a certain point, the terrorists just don' t stop spawning, which is incredibly disappointing from a studio with chops like Infinity Ward. That mechanic alone almost kills " Veteran" mode. It makes it a trial-and-error sprintathon, unlike CoD2 where you actually had to rely on reflexes to survive.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 05:21

Enemies spawned left and right, anybody who' s completed the entire game on Veteran can back up my statement here.
The tv station. [:' (]
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 05:23

Enemies spawned left and right, anybody who' s completed the entire game on Veteran can back up my statement here. Until you pass a certain point, the terrorists just don' t stop spawning, which is incredibly disappointing from a studio with chops like Infinity Ward. That mechanic alone almost kills " Veteran" mode. It makes it a trial-and-error sprintathon, unlike CoD2 where you actually had to rely on reflexes to survive.

I agree 100%. It really discouraged a tactical, well executed strategy. I eventually ended up doing the old run and gun manouver far too much for a wartime situation. The campaign was still fun, but I felt too rushed at times where I don' t think I should have been. Running into houses filled with enemies and grenades is a bad idea, but you had to do it to cut off the respawns inside.

As for the fact that CoD4 was the best selling game worldwide, it' s great news. I couldn' t think of a more deserving game. I' ve played all the top games of last year excluding metroid, from start to finish and for overall value CoD4 tops it for me. Add in the fact that you can always meet up with a few buds online and not worry about long join times(I' m looking at you Halo 3), and you have great replayability.

I am struck by the quote

Consumer and critics agree that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of the best games ever created and further establishes Call of Duty as one of the premier brands in the industry. This ground-breaking game and franchise continue to establish new standards by which all other action games will be judged
from activision Vice Prez Will Kassoy.

If CoD is such an important brand, one that sets standards for its genre and means so much to the company. Then you would think Activision wouldn' t want to tarnish CoD' s image by letting Treyarch get their grubby hands on it.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 06:04

Until you pass a certain point, the terrorists just don' t stop spawning, which is incredibly disappointing from a studio with chops like Infinity Ward. That mechanic alone almost kills " Veteran" mode. It makes it a trial-and-error sprintathon, unlike CoD2 where you actually had to rely on reflexes to survive.

That why i didnt finish the game yet and was so frustrated.
I thought that i was doing something wrong since i like to kill all the enemies then advance to the next point.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 07:04
Spawning and cutting them off by reaching the next trigger has been a feature of all CoD games, but it does seem much harder to get to the next point in 4 than the others. Still it was the best all-round game of the year for me, so it is good that it was the best selling game too. Here' s hoping some of the goodness rubs off on 5.
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 07:14
First off I am going to agree with all of you about the freakin monster closets, which is why I as well have not beaten it on Veteran yet. Although I found the campaign on regular to be very satisfying and epic with a great cinematic feel.

If CoD is such an important brand, one that sets standards for its genre and means so much to the company. Then you would think Activision wouldn' t want to tarnish CoD' s image by letting Treyarch get their grubby hands on it.

Damn you beat me to it. You would think that the sales alone would show that IW=awesome, while Treyarch=gayness.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 08:18

ORIGINAL: immortaldanmx

Hopefully this will force Bungie to get off their asses and fix halo 3. As of right now, CoD4>All

Where does Halo 3 need fixing? It is a damn good game IMO and amoung many others' .
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 08:46
Even if it sold a bit better then Halo3(even if MS doesnt agree) it came for pc+ps3 so Halo3 is still the best selling game in my book.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 09:21
It said game, not console game.

Anyhow, I' d be astonished if Halo 3 didn' t hit the PC at some point in the future.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 29, 2008 15:40

Anyhow, I' d be astonished if Halo 3 didn' t hit the PC at some point in the future.

With Windows Live, there is no question that it will hit, especially after fact the last two games have hit PC. Its release on PC is certain.

The question is when. With the aforementioned fact that Live is now on Windows, I would put my bet on the fact that it will be sooner than the last two games, though not so soon as to lose any possible 360 sales. I' m thinking we should see it on PC towards the end of the 360' s lifespan.
immortaldanmx

RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 30, 2008 02:06

Where does Halo 3 need fixing? It is a damn good game IMO and amoung many others' .
Spawns, Melee, the BR' s " loosness" , the sniper rifles hit detection. All bungie had to do for the multiplayer was make it play like Halo 2 with new maps and weapons, instead the took a shit all over the game by making it a BR spray spawn-fest with shitty hit detection and weaker weapons all so it was " more accessible to new players" .
locopuyo

RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Jan 31, 2008 09:56
Halo 2 blows goats for quarters.
immortaldanmx

RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Feb 01, 2008 02:17

Halo 3 was made noob accessible, which ruined the game for people who could actually aim.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Feb 01, 2008 05:29

Halo 3 was made noob accessible, which ruined the game for people who could actually aim.

As opposed to the trigger aim-assist in COD4? What kind of junk is that?! In COD4 I got killed so many times by getting shot in the ankles and thighs by somebody motionlessly crouched next to a wall. At least in H3 I know when I get killed I was in a real fight with someone who can attack and evade.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Feb 01, 2008 05:55

ORIGINAL: Torr

IW=awesome, while Treyarch=gayness.

You don' t know what the fuck you' re talking about.

Treyarch developed both United Offensive and Big Red One before Call of Duty 3, both of which kicked ass. They were given one year to develop the third Call of Duty game... for five platforms. There was no way it was going to maintain the stellar quality of the previous games.

Infnity Ward had two years to develop CoD4, and Treyarch will have had two years to develop CoD5. I not only expect it to be far better than the third game, i expect it to be almost as kickass as the forth.

Rushing CoD3 was the only way to jump into this leapfrog development strategy where Infinity ward will develop the even numbered entries and Treyarch the odd, with two years development time for each companies game. It was unfortunate, but necessary and in no way a reflection of Treyarch (or Gray Matter' s) development skills.
locopuyo

RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Feb 01, 2008 11:57

ORIGINAL: immortaldanmx

You are messed up in the head. Halo 3 has way, way, way, wayyyyyyyy less auto aim than halo 2 does. Also you actually have to lead your shots instead of shooting where they are and just hoping they are within your " lag range" . In halo 2 you can aim 2 feet to the side of someones head, fire, then wip your cursor around there head and get a headshot. The melees in halo 2 are horribley inconsistent. The weapons aren' t balanced at all, I could go on and on about how shitty it is compared to Halo 3.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: And the bestselling game of the year is... - Feb 01, 2008 17:03
Maybe this will force Activision to move away from WW2.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll