Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Do Reviews Matter To You?
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 06, 2004 22:27
I’m split on this myself. If a Sonic game (as an example) was given a crap review I’d still buy it just because I’m a big Sonic fan. But if I’d seen a new game which was looking interesting to me but received a poor review I’d be wary and probably not buy it. Same goes with good reviews. If I see a game which looks interesting and it gets a good review I’ll probably pick it up. I won’t pick up every game which gets a glowing review however.

Some reviews have managed to get me to buy certain games I wouldn’t usually buy. Ico is a good example. It was a bit of a gamble but I was very happy with it. The same goes with Splinter Cell. It had been out for a while before I got a hold of it but I’m not a big fan of stealth games. Now I own both games in the series so far and eagerly await the arrival of the third.

I suppose over the years I’ve developed a taste of what I like and don’t like. Reviews only matter to me in games I’m undecided about.

What is everybody else’s opinion on this?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 06, 2004 23:46
Reviews are a useful guide, nothing more. I use them to help educate me more about a game and its features. If the game gets an exceedingly low or high review, I pay more atention to why it is being criticized or praised. I then weigh the options to determine if it matters to me or not.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 00:11
I agree with Joe -- the reviews are a helpful guide. If the review is poor and I' m still interested in the game, I usually will rent it and try it out before I consider buying it.
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 00:37
I really don' t pay attention to the reviews.. sometimes they don' t really know what they are talking about. I really just read them to like you all said get more information about it on why it was good and bad. They are helpful but many people have different tastes for games so it' s very hard to really rely on reviews.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 05:48
It would depend on who is doing the reviewing, first of all.

As a reviewer, all I want to do is provide information and some insight into the game' s quality. Contrary to popular belief, there are many elements of a game that can be objectively scored, and this will matter to potential purchasers. Beyond that, whatever they want to think is up to them.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 18:47
I don' t read reviews. I tend to go on what people say about a game on a well educated forum. There you' ll get many perspectives on a game, all from people who can say what they think, which unfortunately doesn' t apply to most videogame reviewers.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 19:00
For me Reviews have never mattered at all in terms of influencing my buying or renting decision.. Same goes for Movie reviews. I ESPECIALLY don' t pay attention to movie reviews evar!lol..

Like was said earlier, game reviews do serve as useful guides, info about a game -answering a few questions one may have about how a certain aspect of the game plays and what not. But If there was a game that I was totally looking forward to and it got a review of 2 out of 10 from most sites I' d still buy it regardless..
Vincent Cook

• Total Posts : 152
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 19:52
Reviews can' t change my mind what so ever. If I have my mind set on a game I want to buy or hire I will. Sometimes reviews can be helpful but other times they are a matter of opinion. OPS2 said that Vice City is a gold and 10/10 but i would give it a 7 or an 8.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 20:16
To go only on reviews is kind of silly. I use reviews as sort of a forecast for a game. There are going to be some mistakes, but it' ll be close to what they have said. Of course, there are a few games that come out that you can tell won' t be that good. I mainly just use what I' ve read about a particular game and decide if I would have a fun time playing it. That' s how I ended up buying Katamari Damancy. Such a fun game for such a simple concept.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 07, 2004 23:36

I don' t read reviews. I tend to go on what people say about a game on a well educated forum. There you' ll get many perspectives on a game, all from people who can say what they think, which unfortunately doesn' t apply to most videogame reviewers.

...except that here, several of the people you' re talking to write reviews for this site...

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 08, 2004 00:24
I usually adopt the opposite opinion of Terry Bogard' s (Josef L. Jacksoney) reviews, just out of spite. It doesn' t seem to anger him, so I' ll need to try something different, as that is my goal. My reviews at magic Box are all fact, no opinions. So if I say a game is great, it is fact. If I don' t like a game, it is fact that the game is no good. In fact (pun intended), I have never, ever had any opinion whatsoever. All fact. :)
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Do Reviews Matter To You? - Nov 08, 2004 13:09

Reviews are a useful guide, nothing more. I use them to help educate me more about a game and its features. If the game gets an exceedingly low or high review, I pay more atention to why it is being criticized or praised. I then weigh the options to determine if it matters to me or not.

I agree with Joe -- the reviews are a helpful guide. If the review is poor and I' m still interested in the game, I usually will rent it and try it out before I consider buying it.

Both Joe and Sharon have hit it on the [proverbial] " head" .

In summary...read multiple reviews, get to know the good and bad about the game in question, then either rent first or buy the game outright.

Welcome back, Sharon...how did the move go?
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 11/8/2004 1:12:06 PM >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message