Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Like Board-style War Gaming? Then The XBOX Title Dai Senryaku: Modern Military Tactics Is For You...
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Like Board-style War Gaming? Then The XBOX Title Dai Senryaku: Modern Military Tactics Is - Feb 22, 2005 10:57
I recently received my pre-orderd copy of Dai Senryaku: Modern Military Tactics, and thought I would share my initial impressions with you.

As many may not know, Dai Senryaku: Modern Military Tactics is basically the first strategy modern-war game for the XBOX. This title plays much like those board-style war games that are found in your local hobby shops.

Tutorials: Though there are many tutorials, I suggest you go through each prior to playing against the computer. Even if you do not use a specific tutorial' s teachings, you can sure bet the AI opponent will.

Modes: There are single, multiplayer (non-online), and map editor options.

Single Player allows the gamer to get the feel of playing against a computer opponent that can have their difficulty set anywhere from easy to hard.

Multi-Player, though not offering an online experience, does offer you (and up to three friends) the chance to duke it out on the same map.

Map Editor mode allows the gamer to make, and play on, their own maps...a BIG plus for any title these days!!!

Gameplay: You better be ready for up to 800 different vehicle/troop types from 8 countries! Do your homework, and learn each vehicles' attributes, movement limitations and combat capabilities prior to entering battle, or you could easily end up on the losing-end of the war!

Vehicle/Troop types include transport and supply trucks, recon vehicles, APC' s, artillery, mobile missile-based anti-aircraft vehicles, tank destroyers, tanks, and various types of combat and transport helicopters and jets, infantry, paratroopers, and special forces.

And it doesn' t stop there...and for each weapons-carrying vehicles/unit, there are up to 3 choices for weapons payloads. This allows you to adjust the ordnance to fit the situation.

Each gamer has to manage funds, fuel, military fleet, and the terrtiory they control/wish to control. The gamer gets a certain $$ amount for each city, factory, refinery and airport they control.

City - war vehicle production capabilities are determined (within the 5 adjacent hexes).

Airport - determine aircraft production limits (1 squadron per turn).

Refineries - determine the fuel production limitations.

Though you can usually start your turn by moving, you can perform other functions for combat-ready (not newly produced) vehicles first. You can also choose to start by attacking enemy units or performing scans (radar, basically). Also, you can produce new vehicles for use on your next turn.

Movement is determined by terrain. As such, the green area indicates normal fuel cost, while the red are indicates expedited movement at double the fuel cost.

Combat is simple enough in that you basically highlight the unit you wish to use for the attack, then choose the weapon to be used against that enemy, then indicate which eligible enemy you' re targeting. All this is done with a few presses of the " A" button (confirms selection) and the directional pad (to select weapon to be used). Keep in mind that the target must be both within range and a suitable traget for the weapon to be used.

A short graphical display shows the firing of your unit' s weapon, then switches to the targeted enemy unit to show damage. Then the display will show the enemy' s response (if applicable) and the resulting damage to your unit.

The whole exchange is similar in appearance to RPG' s from the SNES and Genesis days where the attacker and defender are shown, one right after the other, with minimal graphical motion. Not bad for this kind of game...since there are so many of these animations per turn that you would get tired of seeing it after a while.

Camera: The game' s default camera angle is top-down. However, you can easily adjust the angle with the touch of the right stick. This not only allows you to see at a better angle, but couple this with the left and right triggers to zoom in and out, and you' ve got one real chance at a great look of the battlefield.

Game-Length: You might want to put aside a few hours to play this one...the basic scenario alone took me just about 8 hours to play. Thankfully, you can save during your portion of each turn.

Graphics: The graphics are adequate for each screen, and animations are excellently depicted actions at appropriate times.

Sound: Appropriate to the on-screen actions. Dolby 5.1 not required for this type of game.

Replay Value: With the sheer number of single and multi-palyer scenarios, coupled with the map editor, there will be no shortage of replay value for those war enthusiasts out there.

Summary:

Gameplay: 10 - for this type of game, the gameplay is easy and quite enjoyable.

Graphics: 9.5 - for this kind of game, too much flash would ruin the gameplay.

Sound: 9 - though this aspect could have been better, it really isn' t a requirment to improve the sound for this game type.

RePlay Value: 10 - More than enough in the replay department without the online aspect. Not to mention...most people would not stay online through an entire conflict/scenario due to the lengthy time requirements.

Over-All: 10 - for anyone who is a war enthusiast, you' ve gotta get THIS one!!!

I will let you in on how MY first scenarion went...I lost, because I did not plan and execute my military affairs appropriately against my AI opponent. However, the game did last about 8 hours (approx. 39 turns)!

Maybe better luck next time...

UPDATE: After that first crushing defeat, I decided to take on a preset mission. Missions are better suited to help develop a young General-in-the-making, as it starts you out with a simple objective - take over all island installations. You have only what is issued you from the mission start - no reinforcements!

Thus far, I am successfully progressing northward from the south end of the island. I have gained control of approximately 25% of the island, and expect to take the island in either the next session or the session thereafter (I usually only play for about 3 hours at a time).

I will update as more play time has been completed...
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 25 Feb 05 13:13:18 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message