Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 info - as fresh as can be !!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 05, 2006 23:23
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 05, 2006 23:43
Does anyone think that' s a good idea?.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 00:01

it seems that the hard disk is to be used exclusively for multimedia content and will not contain any system features

THAT is interesting.

I' m wondering how fast the HDD can be accessed and whether developers will be able to actually use it as we' ve previously speculated. I would have expected some sort of hardware intergration.

The PS3 comes equipped with, in addition to a default hard disk, a " large amount of flash memory"

THAT is VERY interesting.

It makes sense but i doubt it was always the plan. Flash memory is very cheap and is probably the best way to do what they need, but it does mean that a fully fledged version of Linux is higly unlikely.

Sony will be achieving backwards compatibility on the PlayStation 3 not through software emulation, as previously announced, but through physical hardware.

THAT is not so interesting, but it' s a smart move on Sony' s part. As Quez and i previously mentioned, software emulation would have been doomed to the same kind of issues Microsoft is having.

It DOES mean that even if there are relatively few titles available at launch, at least the early adopters will be able to play their PS2 games on the platform.

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 00:58
Did HDD really make a diffrence for us with xbox?
I mean in terms of loading.

I never had better loadings then a ps2 or a GC.

In OB you dont have to reload when you enter the same house thanks to cache,but who here gonna not have a HDD when marketplace exist?

They already said that Core package is for people who cant afford much.
Nitro

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 01:04
It didn' t really help on Xbox, but 360 should be able to take advantage of it, -- if ofcourse there' s a HDD present.

Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 02:07
I wish most games would follow in line of COD 2 in terms of loading as the only major delay is when you switch form the main menu to the mp menu. Does anyone know if that is due to the HDD or not?
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 02:48
I remember a interview from TGS where Mark rein said,we would gladly change HDD for the 512 ram that we got by MS,that will let us stream many things seemless,much better then having a HDD,and we knew from the start that we shouldn' t dev with a HDD in mind.

There wont be loadingtimes on the screen cliffy also said.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 02:57
The Saturn and the Gamecube barely ever had any long loadingtimes. Why?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 5 Jun 06 18:57:42 >
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 03:29

The Saturn and the Gamecube barely ever had any long loadingtimes. Why?

The Developers?
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 06:04
gamecube is simple; mainly because of the dvd small size , that' s 100% correct.

saturn, this one i' m not taht sure , but saturn has a lot of ram in contrast to psone, so loadings were faster..

just try withj your own pc, with 512mb , half life 2 take forever to begin, with 1gb it' s much much faster.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 07:06

The Developers?

dvd small size

lot of ram

Nah, I think it was love.
Nitro

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 07:27

wish most games would follow in line of COD 2 in terms of loading as the only major delay is when you switch form the main menu to the mp menu. Does anyone know if that is due to the HDD or not?

The memory size (say 512Mb - 2Gb) doesn' t have any effect on the game' s performance on PC, but it DOES help loading considerably.

The 360 version uses the HDD if present to aid loading (just like in Oblivion), and loading times are longer if you don' t have a HDD.

Will Halo 3 have long loading screens?
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 19:08
yeah,i loaded a bit faster with my 1gb ram in OB to pc.
But look at Tomb Raider Legends,the demo loaded basically as fast as my pc.
Perhaps 1 second diffrence,not more.

Abasoufiane

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 06, 2006 23:33
you can never be sure of that one second difference quez :)
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 07, 2006 00:02
Xbox games like ninja gaiden or doa had blazing fast loading times after the first loading (and that first loading was only the first time or after you' ve played different game)

The use of HDD helped a lot but there was no core pack to make it obvious.

Ram for PC is important if you have many apps running or visual effects of your OS.If you have less ram then needed , some of it must be constantly reloading data it needs.

While GCN had awesome loadtimes , the same cannot be said about PS2 - it had the longest loadings of the three systems.

PS3 Hdd is 100% confirmed to be used as cache , so it shouldn' t be bad - but the other thread with RSX and Cell info , while really disturbing, is most likely bullshit - as it always is with " not too honest" sites.

Still...it' s Sony so It' s not hard to believe :)
Abasoufiane

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 07, 2006 01:09

The memory size (say 512Mb - 2Gb) doesn' t have any effect on the game' s performance on PC, but it DOES help loading considerably.

the differnce might be HUGE in some games, those who recommend 1gb or more, almost all recent games requiere that, call of duuty 2, condemned , quake 4... those will run of course with a 512mb, but much longer loading times, and during the gameplay you will notice frequent freezes, which is very annoying, whenever you eneter a new area, pull up a new gun, whenever the omputer had to load something new it freezes, you almost cannot play a game like condemned with 512 mb.
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 info - as fresh as can be !! - Jun 07, 2006 02:27
Yeah but,diffrent kind of ram works diffrent fast,also the ram in your pc is working on many diffrent programs,not only for your game.

Look at xbox it used 64mb ram,use that in your pc and try and play hl2/doom3/kotoir and it will laugh at you and then explode.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll