Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Console codenames & concepts
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 04:35
What was your favourite codename for a console?!

Do you think the names consoles end up with were the best choices?

What SHOULD the console codenamed Revolution be called?

Personally i would have prefered Dreamcast to stay as Katana, i think it sounds more agressive, and although it probably wouldn' t have had much effect as a whole, it' s possible publishers would have found it more marketable.

Also, post pictures of either official concepts, and/or fakes. I think this 360 design is pretty cool, but i can' t see where the games would go...

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 04:43
Sega Giga Drive will forever remain my favorite
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 06:18
Sega Neptune:

Sega Saturn Prototype:
< Message edited by Adam Doree -- 22 Jan 06 22:21:10 >
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 06:32
I figured you would post the neptune.
I have never seen or thought about the prototype Saturn.
I' ll see if I find some of the proto Dreamcasts...

here is a link though I not sure/too lazy to post the pics http://superfami.com/dc_protos.aspx
< Message edited by Kannon -- 22 Jan 06 22:43:29 >
Nitro

RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 07:06
The Atari 3200 was codenamed Super-Stella, Sylvia and PAM. They are rubbish names for a game console.

My how times have changed...

Now, i had a grey Japanese Saturn and my brother had the black UK version, but the Japanese white Saturn beats them all...

Sega even allowed Samsung to release a version of the Saturn in Korea, the aptly named Samsung Saturn...

Terry Bogard

RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 07:51
I also liked JVC' s Mega Drive and Mega CD combo known as the WonderMega!

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 09:32
The Wondermega was cool. It came out in the US as the JVC X' Eye (what a FANTASTIC name). The difference? JVC decided that it HATED gamers in the US and removed the S-video jack. Oh well. At least my Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo has direct RGB out which can be converted into S-video and/or component!

I prefer the Sega Black Belt over the Katana and the Dreamcast.
Nitro

RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 10:17
Before the Sony Playstation as we know it was born, a man called Ken Kutaragi and the company he works for had been developing a custom sound chip for the SNES. When Sega and NEC moved to using CD' s, Nintendo gave Sony the task of creating a CD drive for their console.

2 products were to be made. The first, a CD drive that would sit underneath the SNES (16Bit), and the second was to be a standalone 32Bit Nintendo Playstation. Due to disagreement over who would own the rights to licence the technology to other parties the deal fell through and Ken Kuratagi asked his bosses to let him finish the console and launch on their own.

The original SNES w/add-on was to look like this...

While the Nintendo Playstation prototype looked like this...

There is still confusion as to who actually owns the rights for the PlayStation name, as it was the name used internally by Nintendo while they and Sony were developing the SNES add-on.

It' d be amusing if they called Revolution - The PlayStation..
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 10:32
I also liked the Katana name, and I didn' t even mind the codename for SOA' s rival machine either, Blackbelt. But I was pretty happy with the originality of the final Dreamcast name.

Then again, I' m not sure if it' s the name, or the whole brand (logo, fontface, flagship colors, etc) that is most important; I' m thinking of the Japanese branding versus American or European by the way - but I could imagine that if everything was the same (orange swirl, cute white console, etc) with " Katana" , in the DC font, it would still have looked like sex. Imagine the Japanese TV ads, at the end, as the swirl unravels and then ravels back up and childrens voice: " Kataaaa-na!" Instead of the usual.

OK I think I' ve said enough for now.

As for Revolution. I don' t think you' ll have to wait that much longer to find out the final name now...
Terry Bogard

RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 13:41

Imagine the Japanese TV ads, at the end, as the swirl unravels and then ravels back up and childrens voice: " Kataaaa-na!" Instead of the usual.

I have always loved the Japanese Dreamcast commercials and how they all ended with the sound of children shouting " DREAMCAST!" . Always wished Sega of America used those damn ads over here in the U.S. instead of wasting all that cash in creating newer, less exciting TV ads from scratch..
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 13:53
That' s odd. I seem to remember the kids shouting sounding more like " Duhdeemcasto!" It may have something to do with the Japanese inability to end any word on a consonant.

Children' s voices do not help make a videogame system appear " cool" as Sega and Nintendo found out. Damn I hate the giggling child when I start up my Gamecube. It actually makes me quite angry. The Segata Sanshiro commercials were the best. He MURDERED children for not playing Sega Saturn!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 23 Jan 06 5:55:44 >
Nitro

RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 21:04
The Dreamcast' s prototype controllers were pretty bad...

But saying that, the prototype consoles they did look nicer than the final unit...

Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 23, 2006 23:58
wasn' t that like the revolution controler ???

coincidence ?? very weiiiiiiird
Nitro

RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 24, 2006 02:04
Perhaps if you squint hard enough...
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Console codenames & concepts - Jan 24, 2006 02:42
Bloody hell, I' d forgotten all about Katana and Blackbelt even though for a period of my life thats all I talked about. Cheers for that.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll