Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 UPDATED: My Early First-Hand Impressions Of ' Wings Of War'
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
UPDATED: My Early First-Hand Impressions Of ' Wings Of War' - Sep 02, 2004 13:49
The ' UPDATE' is after all of the originally posted writing, so look below...

Ok...I called the game store...and the game was in, so I picked it up.

After a few chores and errands, I finally got my chance to play Wings Of War.

Here goes my early first-hand impressions...

First thing I noticed was the game box...no multi-player!!! What is going on with this? This needs to change...

After a short introduction, you press the ' start' button to get to the main menu. Your choices are the usual for a title like this: Campaign, Quick Start, Training, Options.

I chose to train first...the objectives are pretty straight forward. By the time I got to the second training session, I was ready to get into the Campaign. So, I exited the Training mode to begin the Campaign mode. Training mode is good for those who need to brush up their skills, but is not really needed, or is it required, to start playing the Campaign mode.

In Campaign mode, I learned that the officer briefing me is British by his accent. This actually adds to the game' s atmosphere. Now, when the briefing actually occurs - beware! The briefing will go through up to 8 (at least what I saw) objectives...one right after the other. I was shocked that the game explained all of the objectives, in detail.

How was I going to remember the entire briefing? Worry not, my dear friends and countrymen(and women)...upon completing each objective, the game (specifically your wingman) automatically discusses your next objective and you can see the new objective' s direction and/or location on your radar (lower-right screen). Now that' s cool...a no non-sense approach...

Also, the game will throw in bonus objectives based upon performance, so you will get the chance to do extra credit work to up your chances at getting medals or awards (more about that later).

Flight is as simple as pressing the right-trigger to up the engine rpm (left-trigger to reduce rpms) to begin rolling down the grass (or whatever) field. Pull up (back on the left joystick) to begin flying. The controls are standard airplane controls with the option to reverse the " Y" axis (go to options).

If you wish to look to your left or right while flying, just push left or right on the right-joystick.

Combat is as simple as flying toward your target and pressing the " A" button for the main weapon, the " B" button is your secondary weapon. There is a red square that forms around targets that, once you begin to cause damage, will change to yellow with a the top bar being reduced in size as your gunfire reduces the enemies ...for lack of a better word - " health" . Once the bar is gone the planes go down. The cool thing about shooting down the enemy is that evry plane shot down does not go through the same crash scene. If the pilot bails out...you can shoot them!!!

Damage is shown based upon the point of impact of the bullets, etc. I lost my wheels quite a few times, because the enemy decided to shoot them off so I could not land. Also, I hit two trees with my wing tips, and the wing tips showed damage accordingly...now that' s awesome!!!

Here' s one thing that is kinda wierd...if you finish one objective in a fighter, and your next objective requires a different kind of aircraft - like a bomber, a cut-scene plays that shows your pilot/character jumping from one plane down into the other like he (or she) is some kind of acrobat. Though it' s weird, the mission momentum is not lost. It' s just delayed a few seconds.

If you' re in the bomber, then you' re gonna be the gunner/bombadier/camera man. In this kind of mission, you most likely will not have to control the plane, but perform the duties of those positions mentioned.

I did have an objective where I had to bomb two ships and two bridges...beware the ships are loaded with guns - lot' s of them!!! You can see the tracer shots flying everywhere...hmmm, like would happen in real life combat - cool!!! You can bomb from the chase view, rather than trying to bomb from the bomb bay/bombadier' s view...it is easier that way, but some missions may require you to use the bomb bay/bombadier view.

The missions can get quite busy and you can easily find yourself overwhelmed, just concentrate on clearing the menacing planes and reach your objective and you will be fine. Since these are mostly bi-planes, the lower flying speed actually helps you line up and down those baddies quickly. Be assured that your comrades (the AI) are as involved as you are. The AI is right-on and this adds a nice touch that most other games leave out...having someone actually able to both watch and cover your back, that is.

On the other side of the coin is that the enemy AI is equally able to do you (and your allies) in.

Upon completing a series of objectives, you will receive your score and any medals/awards. I played through the first mission, which had 8 pre-set, and an seemingly unlimited number of bonus, objectives and it took me just short of an hour (52 minutes).

Medals and awards depend on your flying skills, but I was able to earn a service medal by the end of mission #1. Score appears to be based upon number of kills and objectives accomplished, but there is no explanation as to how the scores are tallied.

The sounds in the game are right on and compliment the game well.

The Quick Start option on the main menu is for deathmatch or co-op against or with ' bots' . This is how the developers get around the multiplayer option...by offering computer opponents. I will say that you can adjust the settings as to the number of opponents or team members, length of match or # of kills, arena, and type of day/weather. A nice substitute for multiplayer, but it still would have been nice to add the ability to player against humans - even if XBOX Live! was not used.

Based upon the gameplay to this point:

Graphics: 8.8 - solid close-up or nearby graphics, but a little grainy at distances.
Sound: 9.0 - appropriate for each mission or voice actor.
Gameplay: 9.2 - enjoyable, addictive, and pulls a player into the game.
Replay Value: 8.7 - looks to have a solid replay value, but loses points due to lack of multiplayer option.
Overall: 8.8 (not an average) - though Wings Of War is enjoyable and addictive, the lack of the multiplayer option cannot be overlooked (or understood).

Price: Listed as $19.99, but Gamestop charged me $24.99!

***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***

Everything holds true as stated above, with one exception...

The game periodically freezes, for no apparent reason, for a few seconds. This ' freezing' does not take from the game' s overall enjoyment, reposition you or the enemies, or cause any other problems. It does get a little frustrating in the middle of a major dog fight situation to have to stop and wait for a few seconds for the game to resume.

For this, I drop my Gameplay rating to 9.0 (rather than 9.2).

Otherwise, I have unlocked several new aircraft and have earned an additional medal. The missions are still VERY long, having up to 9 objectives to complete.

The second mission took me well over an hour to complete, as I could not find those da** cannons that were hidden! After that, the second mission still was well over an hour in length.

Bonus objectives are offered everywhere, but can be cancelled if the window of opportunity closes. Don' t worry...there are PLENTY of bonus objectives. The bonus objectives increase your score and earn you power-ups like increased engine performance, increased endurance (lessens attack damage), or additional health. These are few and far between...and that is a good thing, because it keeps the arcadey feel in the distance (rather than all over the game).

Next for me:
Third mission has those 9 objectives I spoke of earlier, and it looks like I am in for a long battle ahead of me.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 9/3/2004 7:16:19 PM >
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: UPDATED: My Early First-Hand Impressions Of ' Wings Of War' - Sep 03, 2004 19:18
If you haven' t already...take a gander at the hands-on review...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll