Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Console of Mass Destruction
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
The Console of Mass Destruction - Oct 04, 2006 10:24
Well its my first post, i' m not sure if anyone has already seen this article or posted it but i found it very interesting if somewhat long read. Heres the link

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=51&ed=5&p=1

I was thinking shouldn' t it be ' console of mass DISRUPTION!'

Video games have been going in the direction of being more divorced from reality. The games keep getting larger, more absurd, with less use to everyday life, only to envelop the player into an electronic cocoon. As games keep going this direction, the stigma against gaming grows. Politicians become more embolden. Growth becomes flat and, in the case of Japan, decline occurs. Game players become seen increasingly as social misfits which demand massive advertising markets by Sony and Microsoft to convince their customers that they are not losers.

Nintendo has decided to swing the pendulum the other way. As gaming becomes more connected with our everyday life, the hope is that the stigma decreases. The politicians become fearful of gamers as they do of television watchers. Massive advertising budgets to convince the player that he is ‘cool’ and ‘mainstream’ vanish like vapor as gamers no longer feel the shame. Growth becomes monumental and previous declines, such as the Japanese Game Industry, are reversed.

I never really put much thought into Nintendos stragedy other then the focus on the Wii mote but this article puts alot of things into perspective.

are we not giving Nintendo enough credit with what they trying to do with the Wii?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll