Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 12:36
Source

Microsoft Corp. November 6 announced agreements with CBS, MTV Networks, Paramount Pictures, Turner Broadcasting System Inc. (TBS Inc.), Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to bring an initial lineup of over 1,000 hours of hit TV shows and movies to Xbox 360â„¢ gamers in the U.S. by the end of the year. Furthermore, Xbox 360 will be the first gaming console to bring standard and high-definition TV shows and movies via digital distribution over the Internet directly to the consumer.

Beginning Nov. 22, on its first anniversary, Xbox 360 will be the first gaming console in history to provide high-definition TV shows and movies directly to gamers in their living rooms. Xbox 360 gamers will have access to the full-length TV shows as downloads to own and movies to rent via download from the Xbox Live® network, the worldwide leader in online distribution of high-definition gaming and entertainment content. This announcement also brings with it several additional " firsts" :
* For the first time, consumers will get an integrated gaming and entertainment experience on a gaming console that includes downloadable high-definition TV shows and movies. This new full-length content adds to the ever-expanding number of choices gamers have on their Xbox 360, whether they want to play games or play a movie on a disc or as a download in high definition or standard definition.
* For the first time CBS will deliver high-definition download-to-own TV shows including " CSI," " Jericho," " Numb3rs" and remastered " Star Trek" episodes; gamers can buy them and watch them repeatedly.
* For the first time on any platform, NASCAR.COM will deliver download-to-own condensed versions of select NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series races from " Race Rewind."
* For the first time, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will make 50 of its most intense fights available for download as well as select episodes from the original season of " The Ultimate Fighter" reality series.

" This groundbreaking announcement is a win for everyone," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. " It connects our partners with one of the most coveted audiences in entertainment today, and provides even greater value to our Xbox Live community, allowing them to enjoy the games and entertainment they want, when they want it."

The initial lineup of TV shows available for download to own and feature films available for download to rent will include a growing catalog of popular hits. Examples of content that will be available on the network by the end of year include the following:
* " Robot Chicken" and " Aqua Teen Hunger Force" from Adult Swim
* " CSI," " Survivor" and " Star Trek" from CBS
* Emmy and Peabody award-winning " South Park" and " Chappelle' s Show" from COMEDY CENTRAL
* " The Real World" and " Pimp My Ride" from MTV
* " Avatar: The Last Airbender" and " SpongeBob SquarePants" from Nickelodeon
* " Skyland" and " The Nicktoons Network Animation Festival" from Nicktoons Network
* " M:i:III," Nacho Libre" and " Jackass: The Movie" from Paramount Pictures
* " Carpocalypse" and " Raising the Roofs" from Spike TV
* " Race Rewind" provided by NASCAR.COM
* Select episodes of the original season of " The Ultimate Fighter" reality series and the " UFC: All Access" shows from the UFC
* " Breaking Bonaduce" and " Hogan Knows Best" from VH1
* " The Matrix," " Superman Returns" and " Batman Forever" from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

Microsoft seem to be upping the ante coming into the holiday season. Looks to be only for gamers in the US as well. I don' t really mind, as there' s not much that interests me at the moment, but we' ll have to see how far Microsoft is willing to take this. We' ll have to see what is available for the rest of the world. It' s also a clear indication that Microsoft will be releasing a bigger HDD soon - maybe in time for the holidays.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 7 Nov 06 4:38:51 >
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 13:29
It it wrong to want a system that just plays games?
C*Dub

• Total Posts : 86
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 14:16
Good idea,
They are really gonna need to add on bigger hard drives though.

I don' t think I will download anything bigger than a tv show, I am too impatient to wait for a hd dvd download.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 14:38

In this day and age? Yes.

But then remember, Nintendo is the only company based in video games, so if you want a system to only play Video games...go with Nintendo...Sony will always push Video, Microsoft will always push Internet/online capabilities.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 15:33
Pretty cool. I may just pick up that datel file transfer thing and store the stuff on my external PC hard drve

I skimmed over that article quickly but didnt notice it mention anything on pricing. Thats what Im more curious about.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 7 Nov 06 7:34:20 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 15:55
the most annoying thing is, that denmark is such a tiny country that subtitles for movies, probably wont happen, and that sucks since i think it would be a great way to rent movies!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 17:03
At the event yesterday where all this was announced, a 70+ GB HDD was used...

Gizmondo

This is like the 3rd time i' ve posted about a larger HDD. They need to make it happen dammit!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 18:28
Yeah, like I surmised in your previous thread, it' ll be an 80GB HDD. Probably around 70GB will be accessible because of BC (roughly 8GB) and other things.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 20:34
No!!

MS should of let the consumer use any HD they wish on the 360 from the start. What the hell has the 360 USB ports. all this locking out of features pisses me off.

Then again i dont blame MS as these fools will pay £££ / $$$ of extra money for a way overpriced HD.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 20:38

ORIGINAL: Alecrein

In this day and age? Yes.

But then remember, Nintendo is the only company based in video games, so if you want a system to only play Video games...go with Nintendo...Sony will always push Video, Microsoft will always push Internet/online capabilities.

Nintendo is not just games... hell you can check the weather with it.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 20:45
heh, funny thing is, MS and Sony think there reaching mass market with these extra features but its actually NINTEDNO that is reaching to the non-gamers.

In japan recently Nintendo have been releasing " none games" DS packs.. IE " common sense bible" .." the Cooking recipie bible" " poem writer" .. these have been selling 10s and 10s of thausands in japan..

And of course over here you actually get Ur moms playing the likes of Braintraining, Nintendogs.

Nintendo have all this planned and more for Wii too. Wii is gona be MASSIVE im tellin ya.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 21:08

ORIGINAL: f3hunter

heh, funny thing is, MS and Sony think there reaching mass market with these extra features but its actually NINTEDNO that is reaching to the non-gamers.

In japan recently Nintendo have been releasing " none games" DS packs.. IE " common sense bible" .." the Cooking recipie bible" " poem writer" .. these have been selling 10s and 10s of thausands in japan..

And of course over here you actually get Ur moms playing the likes of Braintraining, Nintendogs.

Nintendo have all this planned and more for Wii too. Wii is gona be MASSIVE im tellin ya.

I actually wanted to ask you why you never posted more Japanese specific stuff, like say Famitsu scans or whatever...
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 07, 2006 22:22

At the event yesterday where all this was announced, a 70+ GB HDD was used...

Click to enlarge

Gizmondo

This is like the 3rd time i' ve posted about a larger HDD. They need to make it happen dammit!

So is this official?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 08, 2006 02:48

selling 10s and 10s of thausands in japan..

lol, 10' s of thousands.

In all seriousness though, its a good thing, but do we want more mainstream idiots gaming?
Eastwood

• Total Posts : 158
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 08, 2006 02:54
well, I' m certainly going ot download Superman to try it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 08, 2006 02:58

Pretty cool. I may just pick up that datel file transfer thing and store the stuff on my external PC hard drve
That thing is a freakin godsend. I love it.

In all seriousness though, its a good thing, but do we want more mainstream idiots gaming?
Whether we want ' em or not, we' re gonna get ' em. Games are becoming an accepted part of culture. Hell, videogames were an example used in a test I just took. It' s going to be interesting to see how the casual gamers/movie watchers & hardcore game players are going to be different.

Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 08, 2006 04:05

Nintendo is not just games... hell you can check the weather with it.

That is true, but Microsoft has a financial backing of Windows. Sony has Videos and Electronics... What does Nintendo have? Games.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the 360 Marketplace - Nov 14, 2006 10:30
You know, the closer this " movie and tv series" thing gets, the more intrigued I' m becoming.

If the prices are right, this would be very cool for me, seeing as how I don' t have a TiVo, but there are a couple of shows I' d like to watch. If the episodes were cheap ($4 or under) then I' d be inclined to purchase a couple. It would be cool if you could use any hard drive you wanted, though.

I mean, 70 or 80 gigs!? That' s not nearly enough if you' re downloading HD movies!

What if MS announced that the HD-DVD drive was a BURNER as well!! I' d sh*t my pants!!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll