Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Doom III looking kinda.... generic
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 06, 2004 16:26
With upcoming shooters like Halo 2 and Killzone that offer up huge battlefield fights and amazing level design, I just re-watched the Doom E3 trailer and just went -- ugh! Amazing graphcics, yes. However, hallway style levels, doorknob AI, and uniteresting weapons has dulled my taste buds. The gameplay in the vid reminded me a lot of Serious Sam. Walk shoot, walk shoot, pull lever -- whoa! there' s something new!!! Granted it' s Doom and Doom was never about huge battlefields or crazy alien weapons, but you' d expect Doom III to be pushing the boundaries, not working inside of them. I may be wrong, but I hope that vid isn' t an indication of what the entire game will be like. Because Doom III looks like it could get real boring real fast, relying on great graphics to cover up gameplay holes.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 06, 2004 18:20
Yes, and you forgot to mention how bad the graphics are too. I dont mean low resolution or low polygon count, I mean generic, no artistic creativity bland graphics. Lets just hope the likes of HL2, Halo2, and Killzone don' t fall into this trap.
panzer_baiken

• Total Posts : 83
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 06, 2004 19:24
i' m hoping halo 2 won' t have the extremely repetetive level design of its predecessor.
killzone' s levels are looking great, and hl2 ain' t looking to shabby either. i haven' t seen any outdoor environments in doom 3 (to save from repetition), so here' s hoping for the best.
MuteCity

• Total Posts : 159
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 06, 2004 19:43
Valid points but sometimes I enjoy a game like serious sam 2 for example, just a good ol' fragfest. Plus it was kinda funny for a shooter...however I bought this in the bargain bin for 5 dollars so that could be part of it.

I' m hoping Doom 3 will be very atmospheric with a lot of suprises thrown in. I' m not sure I expect much as far as advancement in gameplay because as far as I can tell, id shooters have always been about fraggin' .
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 06, 2004 20:32
It really wants to blend survival horror with a FPS, but I' m not sure it will succeed. If I had to pick a game that is coming out in the near future to do that I would throw out the Call of Cthuhlu game. Lovecraft inspired, it' s focusing on scares but is going to be played out in first person. The guys over at Penny Arcade are very excited, and they usually know their games.
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 08, 2004 17:17
i agree....have to admit that i was expecting more...
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 08, 2004 19:55
DOOM 3 is getting so much hype, I could just vomit. It' s DOOM, with upgraded graphics. Yay.

I' m sure it will be fun, but it doesn' t look like this blockbuster revolutionary title, that' s for DARN sure.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 12, 2004 10:29
You are all right. I have been following Doom III since that video with Trent Reznor came out. Back then I thought it was going to be revolutionary. Now, I can see that all that is really new about it is the way they are making incredible graphics easy to process.

I had very high hopes for this title, and still do. I just hope they can come up with more than blast as much as you can into the flying skulls until they explode.

I used to think D3 was going to be better than HL2, but I can see now that Half-Life has the edge
SoulOfXion

• Total Posts : 21
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 14, 2004 22:53
i have never at all been intrenstead in doom3 or hl2, halo 2 though ohhhhhh yea......i will prob get hl2 on pc once i get a job :)

people just ignore my many typign errors it comes from too much cs, havign to type really fast so i do nto get shot
< Message edited by SoulOfXion -- 6/14/2004 10:54:35 PM >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 14, 2004 23:47
The sad thing is that there are some great-looking parts of DOOM3 that none of you present at E3 will have seen, because id Software thinks it is better to keep all the best screens and video under wraps to " build anticipation" rather than just get on with it and release the media like other competitng titles are doing.

They didn' t allow any shakey cam vids of the Xbox gameplay at the show last month and have begged and threatened any sites who posted any such videos to take them down. Which is slightly retared, as games like Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 are threatening to wipe the floor with Doom 3 in terms of both final quality on the two respective formats, AND retail level hype/sales.

Id' s arrogance in this scenario is utterly astounding and while I was really excited about the game a couple of years ago when it was first shown, and I' m still looking forward to playing a complete version, certain departments at id really need a punch in the mouth for being complete and total tools, and spoiling what is looking like a potent title for everyone else at the team, who is clearly working hard.

I say: Carmack, have a closer look at your (non-dev) team - it needs some serious attention IMHO.
< Message edited by Adam Doree -- 6/14/2004 11:49:08 PM >
jars

• Total Posts : 148
RE: Doom III looking kinda.... generic - Jun 15, 2004 01:15
it may not be technologically revolutionary anymore (everyone' s using normal mapping), but i disagree that it isn' t artistic. For a long time i' ve been waiting for a game that could capture the atmosphere and lighting of the movie Aliens, strobing lights and all. This looks to be the first game to achieve it.

Doom was one hell of a scary game, there were certain levels with corridors that i just didn' t wanna walk into. This new version looks to be even scarier. Perhaps ID is so arrogant about it and not releasing footage, because they probably know that there' s something about this Doom that people will still want to get, even with Half Life 2, Riddick and Halo 2 on the market.
< Message edited by jars -- 6/15/2004 1:17:51 AM >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message