Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 17, 2003 05:16
It could be anything *except* for the quality of the games themselves (since there’s already a thread about this, and another would be repetitive).

So are you upset with game prices? Or do you find them acceptable? How about the politics of the industry? How developers treat their customers? How stores treat their customers? Business dealings between companies? Whatever???

What do you like or dislike about the videogame industry at the moment?
< Message edited by lotusson -- 6/17/2003 5:18:26 AM >
drew93084

• Total Posts : 114
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 17, 2003 06:28
game prices are starting to come down so it' s not really that bad
and with XBOX the online aspect on certain games make the price not bad

I hate casuals that know diddely poo about games

I hate monopolies with a cult following like EA

I hate Gamespot and them being so biased

I hate most reviewers

I hate how SEGA gets the shaft a lot

I hate how Sony gets praise for what they' ve done but people villify MS

more to come...
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 17, 2003 14:47
I' ve always hated the behind the scenes business dealing of the industry. It almost always goes something like this..

" XXXXXX" game has been announced for ALL platforms, Gaming fans rejoice!!!"

(1 month later)

" XXXXXX" game is now a PS2 exclusive for 900 years!"
Anthropic

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 24, 2003 05:20
Videogame journalism sucks. Other then some early NextGen issues, I' ve never seen videogame jounalism that was anything more then low grade material. There' s no comparison to the PC journalism establishment.
Dear Azel

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 24, 2003 12:06
the endless mergers, morphing companies I know and love out of business or warped into something I am horrified to look at.

Recently my big peeve is Square and Enix merger... I' m afraid there' ll be a mix of all the bad between both companies and hardly any of the good. I' m just waiting to see a game with outdated control mechanics (Enix) with obscene levels of bad writing and pretention (Square). God may I never be right, but I' m afraid I will....
lotusson

RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 24, 2003 18:55
I don' t like the way companies do sport games nowadays. I' m not talking about the quality of the product since they make some very good sport games. It' s just that they make another every damn year. There are times when a company will go well out of its way to make a *true* update to the series and do something that blows your mind. But it' s more or less slight tweaks here and there. Sometime for better. Sometime for worse. And what irks me more is that gamers eat this stuff up. It' s cool, they have every right to buy to spend their money as they so choose. But I can' t get the concept of owning like Madden 2001-2006. I, however, do fully understand the concept of why developers do this -=money=- If I knew I had a million seller ever year and all I gotta do is just a *little* bit of work per game, hell, I' d have my employees do it too. But I do wish developers were perhaps skip a year. Instead of NFL2k4, skip 4 and come out again in 2005 (however, that' s something the entire industry would have to do or the idea would fall horribly). Every console has the ability to get online, so you could have instant rooster updates throughout the year. And with 2004 open, the team could go to work on developing an original game or something. Either way, I just think the industry doesn' t need a slighlty updated sequel to every sports game every year.
< Message edited by lotusson -- 6/24/2003 6:56:58 PM >
HELLBENT

• Total Posts : 58
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 24, 2003 21:51
Like:The surge of videogame awareness and popularity as a valid form of entertainment that isn' t just kid stuff.

Dislike:The surge of videogame awareness and popularity which has led to games being blamed for violence, as well as " suits" attempting to make a quick buck from the industry by making crap games to capitalize on the latest buzz or movie....and the idiots who buy those games.

Dislike:Nintendo and their stubborn adittude towards the console market. When the heck are they going to give it up? Their contribution to videogames as far as consoles go ended with the Super Nintendo. Their value is in their games, not their quirky add-on happy machines. If Sony' s handheld is even remotely popular, then Nintendo is in for a bruising over the next few years. Both Sony and Microsoft have other profitable entities that provide the financial base for their machines. Nintendo doesn' t. If they think they can hang, they are sadly mistaken.
ibjeremy

• Total Posts : 6
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 24, 2003 22:15
Dislikes:

Dislike:Nintendo and their stubborn adittude towards the console market. When the heck are they going to give it up? Their contribution to videogames as far as consoles go ended with the Super Nintendo. Their value is in their games, not their quirky add-on happy machines. If Sony' s handheld is even remotely popular, then Nintendo is in for a bruising over the next few years. Both Sony and Microsoft have other profitable entities that provide the financial base for their machines. Nintendo doesn' t. If they think they can hang, they are sadly mistaken.

and this:

Stupid Person: " Gamecube sucks!"
Me: " Have you ever even played Gamecube?"
Stupid Person: " No, but I saw someone playing it once I think."
HELLBENT

RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jun 24, 2003 22:32
Is this your oblique way of accusing me of not even owning a GC? Cause if it is, your assumption is woefully incorrect.
lotusson

RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jul 08, 2003 17:19
Here' s something else that is starting to bug me -- Too many damn deals!

Take the X-Box for example. You can get the bundle with two games, or the bundle with a controller, or the rebate with the foot rest, and yadda yadda yadda.

The same goes for the PS2 and, to a lesser extent, the GC. It seems like every time I turn around there' s already a new deal on the horizon. I just can' t keep track of all the sales and specials companies are offering at any given second.

It seems like every company keeps trying to one-up the other company, and it' s happening so much that it' s finally starting to blur the mind.

It' s a good thing for consumers that there are so many great deals out there, but whatever happened to just getting ripped-off, huh?
HELLBENT

RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jul 10, 2003 12:30

It' s a good thing for consumers that there are so many great deals out there, but whatever happened to just getting ripped-off, huh?

That happens two weeks later when that deal console goes belly up on you!!
SpaceJase

• Total Posts : 170
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jul 10, 2003 14:54
Ignorant ' gamers' like Hellbent would be somewhere near the top of my list of dislikes!

Just to recap a few of Nintendo' s non-software ' contributions' since the SNES:

Analogue control as standard
Rumble features on joypads
4 controller ports as standard
Handheld to base unit connectivity

Add to this list some of the greatest games software ever seen and there' s absolutely no reason why Nintendo should even think about giving it up.

Hellbent? Hellbent on making a fool of yourself!
HELLBENT

RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jul 10, 2003 17:36

Ignorant ' gamers' like Hellbent would be somewhere near the top of my list of dislikes!

Just to recap a few of Nintendo' s non-software ' contributions' since the SNES:

Analogue control as standard
Rumble features on joypads
4 controller ports as standard
Handheld to base unit connectivity

Add to this list some of the greatest games software ever seen and there' s absolutely no reason why Nintendo should even think about giving it up.

Hellbent? Hellbent on making a fool of yourself!

-Analog control that was introduced with quirky ergonomics, that was later perfected by Sony.

-Rumble feature introduced with a battery powered rumble pack. Once again, taken to the next level and perfected by Sony.

-4 controller ports as standard. Great! How many worthwhile games supported it though?

-Well seeing how Nintendo has the handheld sector currently on lock, and the fact that anyone who plays their GBA on their T.V. is a freakin goober, I will totally disreguard this one. [They better hope that Sony doesnt continue the trend, and their new handheld overtakes Gameboy]

EXACTLY!! Great games. You dont need a hardware system that is supported by staunch outdated business practices that alienate 3rd party developers to play great games. Just do like SEGA, let the hardware go, and do what you do best. GAMES.
SpaceJase

• Total Posts : 170
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jul 11, 2003 13:52
Can you not see where your argument falls in on itself?

WITHOUT NINTENDO SONY WOULDN' T HAVE HAD ANYONE TO STEAL ALL THESE GREAT IDEAS OFF AND YOU' D BE PLAYING VICE CITY ON A CRAPPY DIGITAL PAD.

P.S. A few great 4 player games off the top of my head:

Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Super Monkey Ball II
Goldeneye - for god' s sake!
Perfect Dark
Virtua Tennis
HELLBENT

RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Jul 11, 2003 18:12

Can you not see where your argument falls in on itself?

WITHOUT NINTENDO SONY WOULDN' T HAVE HAD ANYONE TO STEAL ALL THESE GREAT IDEAS OFF AND YOU' D BE PLAYING VICE CITY ON A CRAPPY DIGITAL PAD.

P.S. A few great 4 player games off the top of my head:

Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Super Monkey Ball II
Goldeneye - for god' s sake!
Perfect Dark
Virtua Tennis

LOL. I think Sony can do just fine without Nintendo' s " help" . In fact, your comment illustrates just how inept Nintendo is at capitalizing on its innovations, only to have the idea " stolen" and perfected by a company that isnt bogged down in a bunch of old world business practices.

My opinion still stands- Nintendo does' nt need a console on the market to continue making great games.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Aspects of the Industry you no longer like/do like - Nov 13, 2003 13:56
Nintendo would make a great first party MS developer. Anyway, the onlything that kept me from throwing my 64 out the window was golden eye, the only thing that stops me form destroying every GC i see is Super Smash Bros. Melee. If Nintendo would pull from the console market, (not the handheld, dont let those over inflated morons at sony have that market too) and become an MS publisher they would be forever secured as a game developer (MS has enough money to pay them all they' ll ever need) and turn the tide against Sony' s gay PS2. I mean, 2 controller ports, I need at least 2 mem cards just to save about 10 saves, the DVD player sucks, the graphics are usually blocky and the same as Dreamcast (though i actually liked the good ol' DC) and there is now 1 PS2 exclusive game that i want now that GTAIII and Vice City are headed to Xbox (FF10) name just one reason I would want a PS2. Sony has copied Nintendo for far too long to make it on its own.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll