Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 IBM Engineer Says PS3 Yields Not So Good
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
IBM Engineer Says PS3 Yields Not So Good - Jul 14, 2006 03:15

At what point in beating a puppy clean to death with a sack full of its own hardened excrement does an inhuman like me begin to feel this emotion you call ' pity' ? I don' t know — that day may never come. But even I, monstrous and morally deformed as I may be, am beginning to feel sorry for Sony. Because now IBM' s just flat-out saying that the Cell processor is way too expensive and complicated to make.

Tom Reeves, VP of semiconductor technology services at IBM, sez:

" With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you' re lucky to get 10 or 20 percent."

Our buddies over at Gizmodo inform us that this means that the PS3 will be available in very limited qualities (we already knew that) and that " Sony' s going to be bleeding money on these chips." Florian Eckhardt

This is something that Quez and i picked up on in Jan/Feb and it' s been a constant problem for IBM. Looks like they have decided to come clean and attemting to prepare people for really limited PS3 quantities at launch.

I said there would only be " seed quantities" and it' s definately looking that way.

Sony now need to stop with the " we' ll have 1 million for each territory and 1 million per month after launch" , it' s just not viable!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll