Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 05, 2006 14:18
I became a fan of the series with Ridge Racer V for the PS2 and loved Ridge Racers for the PSP as well. I just got done downloading all of the Kikizo Ridge Racer 6 videos and MAN that game looks SLOW --- to the point of being *Gran Turismo driving-sim slow*. Yuck. I' m still anxious to check the game out but from the videos alone it looks a bit uninspired, lifeless, and significantly slower than Ridge Racer 5 and Ridge Racers..

I' m curious as to whether this game was even done by the Ridge Racer team OR Namco decided to just let their interns handle this project all on their own.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 5 Feb 06 6:20:58 >
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 05, 2006 17:47
Once you play the game I' m sure you' ll change your mind completely.

I thought it was a let down at first, but once you unlock the 3rd car class it all ramps up. The speed is so much faster and the gameplay much more exciting.

After going back to the PSP Ridge Racers game I have to say RR6 is much better. The only bad thing about RR6 is that it hasn' t got any of the classic tracks from previous Ridge games, and none of the old music.

Other than that it was the most fun I had with my 360 so far, bar perhaps DOA. I took back the only two launch games that interested me (PGR3 and PDZ)
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 05, 2006 22:08
The game starts of decent enough (and if ur used to the jerk 30fps-ness of PGR3, ull find RR6 and its ' never going below 60fps ass' SUPER-SMOOTH)

As you go up classes it gets more intense and the speed really starts to kick off (F-Zero GX speeds- no joke).. ive now got rid of PGR3 as i don' t play it since i got into RR6 and its ' true' arcade gameplay (Found PGR3 BORING anyway, it doesent know what the F^%k it wants to be.. a sim? or an arcade game? and it fails on both,has no hook to its gameplay atall, just dullness)...

BTW the superclass cars in RR6 are AWESOME!! (ive unlocked 3 so far)

RR6 is a solid arcade racer and is the only other 360 game besides DOA4 thats actually runs at constant 60fps no matter whats going on.... (sorry this is a factor i feel most 360 games should have, dodgy framerates really put me off especially when on a supposedly super-next generation console.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 05, 2006 22:15
F-Zero? What?

NO!

Ridge Racer 6 starts out really slow and stays really slow until you get into the last class, then it' s fairly fast but slower than Need For Speed Most Wanted once you' ve tuned you car.

It' s REALLY bloody smooth but the small number of courses and crappy game mechanics don' t warrant spending $50 on it.

If you don' t like PGR3 or NFSMW then you should wait for Burnout Revenge!

I loved RR4 and RR on PSP but i hated RR5 and despise RR6!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 05, 2006 23:00

to the point of being *Gran Turismo driving-sim slow*

I guess you haven' t played GT4 yet (or not with the right cars)

I think RR5 sucks comparing to Ridge Racer Type 4 , But RR6 looks promising - and reviews are great (for RR fans - since they state that for people who didn' t like RR this game won' t change that).

(Found PGR3 BORING anyway, it doesent know what the F^%k it wants to be.. a sim? or an arcade game? and it fails on both,has no hook to its gameplay atall, just dullness)...

That' s exatcly what I thought about Metropolis Street Racer , PGR and PGR2 (although I liked PGR2)
Terry Bogard

RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 06, 2006 01:16

I guess you haven' t played GT4 yet (or not with the right cars)

I played GT4 Prologue, that was MORE than enough of a miserable experience for me to steer clear of the full version game

As for Ridge Racer 6, Don' t get me wrong, I already own the game, unfortunately I can' t play it yet, the territorial lock-out implemented in the Post-Launch shipments of the game means I won' t be playing it until I get a U.S. 360 unit ;)..

It kinda sucks to hear you have to wait till you reach higher classes before the sense of speed improves, that' s how WipeOut Pure was for the PSP.. I liked the " we' re fast from the start" gameplay of Ridge Racer 5 and Ridge Racers! Regardless, I still enjoyed Wipeout Pure a great deal, so I can' t wait to check out Ridge Racer 6, at least the game ' looks' like it controls really well..

As for the classic Ridge Racer tracks not being available, BOOO!!!!!!
I want my " DAREDEVIL" and " SAMURAI ROCKET" tunes!!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 06, 2006 01:41
I hate Gran Turismo. It' s boring. Some people swear by it but i don' t see why, it' s mind numbingly dull!
Terry Bogard

RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 06, 2006 01:49
I bet I hate it more than you do
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 06, 2006 01:50
If you only played Prologue then no wonder you hate it Terry! Prologue felt so slow and was totally different to the full game. I think they got the speed right in GT4, just there isnt enough detail on the sides of the track to make you feel like you' re going fast.

You ought to try the Toyota Minolta (fastest car) on Nordschleife and then you might understand why people like it so much. Tbh the physics isnt all that and the AI is shocking, but the detail that PD put into the game is phenominal. Especially as they managed it on PS2.

RR6 is a simple game really, if you dont like what it offers then you' re bound to hate it. I just like doing 360s! Easily pleased I know.. :P
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 06, 2006 07:38
You should play GT4 with manual Gearbox and all asists OFF - that' s when it is unrivaled.

The speed is there (not in GT1 , 2 and 3 - but in GT4 it' s incredible)

It' s pure gameplay if you like simulation (I' m a huge fan of Ferrari F355 Challenge for DC and Arcades and it is the hardest sim game of this decade , so I kinda like this type of racing games).

I do however understand people who don' t really like the GT MODE of the game since it' s getting boring when you have to play it all over for the 4th time :)

(anyway that game is just amazing - enough said :) )
Stephen Rowley

• Total Posts : 75
RE: WOW! Is Ridge Racer 6 really that bad? - Feb 06, 2006 08:03
Ridge 6 is good; the lack of speed disappoints, but not as much as the fact that it could have been great... if it wasn' t a launch (ish) title

More tracks, some old tunes and faster and it' d be getting much better scores. It' s still a decent enough game, just lacking compared to other Ridge games, Type 4 in particular.

Still think it' s better than the insipid Most Wanted (which in hindsight, should have been scored lower, damn), despite the lower speed. And racing sims bore me to tears...
< Message edited by Stephen Rowley -- 6 Feb 06 14:40:58 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message