Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 News Story: Next-Gen Games An Endangered Species?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
News Story: Next-Gen Games An Endangered Species? - Sep 09, 2004 11:40
NEXT-GEN GAMES AN ENDANGERED SPECIES?

Expect much fewer games on next-gen consoles, warns developer, as development times prepare to shoot through the roof

13:16 The number of games releasing on the likes of Xbox 2 and PS3 are likely to become less and less, an industry developer has warned, claiming that technological advancements and demands for more complex software will lead to projects requiring at least two years preparation before they can enter development.
" We have the opportunity to elevate games to be the tenth art," said Tameem Antoniades, the co-founder of Just Add Monsters at last week' s European Game Developers Conference. " [However] the expectations of players and publishers are rocketing. With every new generation, people want more realism."

Then - referencing the nine-moths his Cambridge-based team has already spent prototyping a next-gen samurai slasher entitled Heavenly Swords - he added : " We found that everything takes a very long time to make."

Antoniades' warning echoes similar comments recently made by EA' s vice president Jeff Brown, who told BBC News that due to a rise in development costs, companies have to invest extra time into ensuring that their products are good enough to sell.

It is a progression that is also likely to see a reduction in the number of independent developers unable to recover from just a single failed risk.

" I don' t see the retail price increasing as games are already expensive," added Antoniades, allaying initial fears that the rise in costs would be reflected at retail. " In the past, sales of 500,000 units would be a hit. Now you need to sell millions.

" In the next generation there will be far fewer publishers, sinking their money into far fewer games. I believe that most independent developers will disappear, either through going bust or due to merger or acquisition."

Of course, this is a trend that is already being witnessed with the current crop of consoles. Galleon developer Confounding Factor is suspected to have closed after spending literally years developing the Xbox game, while developer/publishers like Rage went bankrupt after big investments such as David Beckham Soccer failed to recuperate sufficient revenue at retail.

Still, as the famous saying goes, it' s quality not quantity, and while fewer games may be mooted on the next batch of home consoles, as long as the quality is sky-high, should us gamers really be complaining? Of course, a big concern is that of originality and innovation, which may be sacrificed in favour of big sequels and licenses. Plus, a monopolisation is rarely good for any industry.

How the gaming world pans over the two next years or so will make for very interesting reading indeed.

Stephen Daultrey
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: News Story: Next-Gen Games An Endangered Species? - Sep 09, 2004 12:47
Good read.

And to be honest, I wouldn' t mind seeing a few less games the next time ' round. I can' t keep up as it is.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: News Story: Next-Gen Games An Endangered Species? - Sep 09, 2004 14:41
Yeah...I must admit...I would like to see a more steady stream of great games spread out over time rather than getting plastered with tons of games that may be mediocre at best.

That would give me time to save up for the games I want, and allow me to try a few new one' s, without having to worry whether I can fit them into my budget.

I' m in the same boat as you, fathoms, I can barely keep up with all the games coming out right now...

I most likely won' t be jumping to next-gen until well after its launch...hoping to get it after the first or second price drop. By then, there should be plenty of titles that are reduced in price and worth buying.

Until then, there will still be plenty of support for the original XBOX...
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: News Story: Next-Gen Games An Endangered Species? - Sep 09, 2004 15:26

Yeah...I must admit...I would like to see a more steady stream of great games spread out over time rather than getting plastered with tons of games that may be mediocre at best.

Actually, that' s not really the problem for me right now. Yes, there are indeed a ton of crappy titles, but there are ALSO a ton of great titles, especially since 2001. 2004 is shaping up to be another stellar year, and if you' re a multi-console owner like I am, it' s virtually impossible to play all the fantastic games available. I don' t like missing good games, ever.

I hate to say it, but it' d be easier to continuously indulge in quality if there were less games to choose from.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll