Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Load Time Hell!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 08:36
It takes over 6 minutes for some WWE game on the PSP from the time you turn it on before you can actually play the game.
Clicky clicky:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/24/load-time-from-hell-psp-game-takes-its-sweet-time/

Hilarity ensues... and your patience is tested.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 08:53
That' s outrageous. 6 minutes is a long time, ...i mean, handheld games are supposed to be for short bursts and 6 minutes loading is 6 minutes wasted.

I remember my C64 would take half an hour to load. I' d start it off, go have my dinner, come back and it' d be either ready to go or would have failed half way through and would ned to be done again. It sucked!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 09:35
I LOVE the game but the loading is indeed insane.... To me the problem isn' t really the length of each individual load screen but how Frequent they happen... 1 load screen may take around 15 seconds, but when you go from one DIRECTLY into another 15 second load screen, leading to yet ANOTHER 15 second screen immediately after then it definitely adds up.. Forget about playing with custom characters!! After I imported my custom characters from the PS2 version I had to strip their attributes down and redo them on the PSP in order to speed things up a little bit.

Hopefully in this year' s edition of the game, if there is one, THQ figures out how to better optimize the next game so the PSP is able to access the data on both layers of the UMD.
Joe Redifer

RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 11:39
I' m curious as to how and why it would take this long to load. How much RAM does the PSP have? Let' s say that the ENTIRE contents of the RAM were dumped at the beginning of each load. Now let' s say the PSP has 20 megabytes of RAM (which is probably an overstatement). It shouldn' t take that long to read 20 megabytes from the UMD unless each 8 bits of data is in a different physical place. I wonder if they defragged the disc before publishing it if it would have been quicker.

Only the 3DO comes close to beating this. Oh man I want my $700 back for that thing!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 27 Feb 06 3:39:56 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 12:51
Some believe it has to do with the game using up the dual layers of the UMD disc (900 megs each side) and the PSP constantly having to access data on both layers.

I believe the PSP has about 32 megs of RAM total. Sony upped it at the last minute since developers literally begged them to.

My personal belief as to why it takes the game so long to load is due to sloppy coding . I don' t think they REALLY optimized it as effectively as they should have for the PSP. They probably dumped the PS2 code, trimmed the polygons down a bit, added some super DUMB mini-games and released it. Instead of bothering with the mini-games they should have spent that time elsewhere, like making sure the matches load a lot faster than the time it takes me to travel from New York to New Jersey

Grand Theft Auto loads pretty quickly and that' s no small game neither.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 27 Feb 06 5:12:45 >
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 13:07
I don' t have a psp so I don' t even know why I replied
Joe Redifer

RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 13:18
Because this thread would have no worth withut your presence.

Now does someone want to explain why the SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 has loading time?
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 14:49
If we start gaming with playstation and game till we die, I wonder how many days of our lives are spent staring at a loading screen. I would do the math and make an educated estimate but I' m way too lazy.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 27, 2006 19:22
AMAZING - thanks for posting Joe hehe that movie is awesome.

PSP has 32 MAin Memory but quite a bit of it is taken for the OS.If I remember correctly it leaves 24 MB of RAM for games (Main Memory).

Product Name: PlayStation Portable (PSP)
Color: Black
Dimensions: Approx. 170 mm (L) x 74 mm (W) x 23 mm (D)
Weight: Approx. 260 g (including battery)
CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
Main Memory: 32MB
Embedded DRAM: 4MB
Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors), Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers
Main Input/Output: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi), USB 2.0 (Target), Memory Stickâ„¢ PRO Duo, IrDA, IR Remote (SIRCS)
Disc Drive: UMD Drive (Playback only)
Profile: PSP Game, UMD Audio, UMD Video
Main Connectors: DC OUT 5V, Terminals for charging built-in battery, Headphone/Microphone/Control connector
Keys/Switches: Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)Analog pad, Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Left, Right keys START, SELECT, HOME, POWER On/Hold/Off switch, Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-, Wireless LAN On/Off switch, UMD Eject
Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor
Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control
Accessories: Stand, Headphone with remote commander, Headphone with remote commander and microphone, External battery pack, Case, Strap
E3 Prototype Exhibition: USB Camera for PSP, USB GPS for PSP, USB Keyboard for PSP
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 28, 2006 03:45

It takes over 6 minutes for some WWE game on the PSP from the time you turn it on before you can actually play the game

And I thought my Neo Geo CD was bad.

The initial load on WWE PSP is longer than it takes to load a new fight in Last Blade 2 with all the demo features on. Guess you have time to not only make a cup of coffee, but also time to drink it as well.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Load Time Hell! - Feb 28, 2006 05:51

Now does someone want to explain why the SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 has loading time?

Becuase everybody knew the snes was ulimately the inferior machine compared to the mighty Sega console, the master system.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll