Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Post E3 Wii: Has the flood of games begun?
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
Post E3 Wii: Has the flood of games begun? - Jul 25, 2007 08:35
I stumbled on a very interesting article regarding console exclusives announced after E3

From Gaming Target -

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=7252

With all of the announcements and unveilings of E3 2007 a growing memory, the aftermath of the video game industry’s biggest showcase has made the Exclusive Arms Race enter a brave new world.

The king is dead! Long live the Wii!

Yes, the Xbox 360 is no longer the leader in exclusive titles for the first time since we began tracking them in October of 2006. Nintendo’s little white behemoth has pulled ahead after a stellar E3 where nearly every major (and minor) publisher pledged plenty of support for the system. So what does the current exclusive landscape look like? First, we will go over the rules for those that have yet to read an Exclusive Arms Race article and then we will dissect the list, which includes a whopping 37 new titles for the Wii.

Read the eligibility rules on the page to clarify how they compiled the list.

Let me explain, i realise that most of the thirdparty exclusive titles for Wii listed will more then likely be crap (as i might add, are a significant quantity of 360 and ps3 titles). Its very unfortunate. But i never said the Wii would win because of AAA thirdparty exclusives only, Though this would be desirable (its still not out of the question yet). I said it would win if it got a flood of games, similar to the flood of games the ps2 got as it rose to dominance. This article makes me wonder if this flood has already begun. While we Wii owners wait in hope that thirdparty developers throw the Wii a fricken bone Nintendo can adequately cover the AAA department with its solid stable of franchises.

By having more games the Wii has more variety. Having more variety gives consumers more reason to buy the Wii.

heres some more quotes for you

But for all of these slight additions over last month, the Wii has proven to be the new king of the exclusive. Now, it would be dishonest to somehow imply that Wii exclusives like Ultimate Duck Hunting, Furu Furu Park, Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour and Action Girlz Racing match up with some of the games that dot the Xbox 360 and PS3 lists. It’s also wrong not to acknowledge that many non-exclusive third-party games that are coming to both the 360 and the PS3 will never make it to the Wii in any form, so the Wii loses out. But it’s not hard to connect the dots and see that publishers have flipped their perceptions of the three consoles and their console identities are beginning to take shape.

&

The PS3 now has the small, dedicated fanbase that is selling almost solely on the strength of its first party releases (taking over for the GameCube). This means the Xbox 360 has officially moved into the market leader position (move over PS2) as the console that gets nearly everything along with a large helping of exclusive major third party titles and budget releases. But the Wii does not fit into the “quiet second place” the original Xbox did.

The strong sales of Nintendo’s console mean it will quickly pass the Xbox 360 in terms of market share. And the system’s lo-fi graphical capabilities will guarantee that the budget releases will continue to flood the system (likely further increasing the quantity of exclusives). But the sheer number of games that are in development for the Wii (even if most are budget titles or minigame compilations) will fuel system sales, which will fuel more budget releases, which will create an endless loop of sales. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata thinks this could push the Wii to even greater sales heights than the PS2.(currently sitting at 120 million sold worldwide and counting). If that happens, expect to see more exclusives that will appeal to a segment of gamer (the so-called “hardcore gamer”) that might currently feel neglected by the Wii.

< Message edited by Terrak -- 25 Jul 07 1:15:01 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message