Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p?
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 06:48
For the 360 as well?? Why Sam, how busy you have been..

For those that are 1080progressive hogs...

Just wanted to deliver the news..

(First link is page 1 and the second link is page 2)

Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:32
Yeah, but is de-interlaced 1080i " true" 1080p?!

Now i need to buy a 1080p display. I knew this would happen after i bought a 720p HDTV. I take it they still don' t do 1080p LCD flatscreen yet?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:36

I take it they still don' t do 1080p LCD flatscreen yet?

There' s LCD 1080p, It' s the plasma 1080p' s that weren' t around untill just now. Maybe I misunderstand though, how flat are we talking? Like, the freakishly small slim model type jobbies, or are you just saying LCD?
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 18 Oct 06 23:36:28 >
Nitro

RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:39
Flat.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 18 Oct 06 23:39:36 >
464cpc

• Total Posts : 52
RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:44
nop
the 360 cant support 1080 p only 1080 i
only ps3 can support it but who can afford such a tv eh ?
Nitro

RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:47

ORIGINAL: 464cpc

nop

No, 360 will support 1080p after the Fall update. Perhaps you should have followed the link.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:49
Alright, no I don' t think they' ve gone flat yet. Honestly, I don' t really care much about 1080p though. I' m happy with 720p on a nice TV, or just running stuff off of a 22' ' pc monitor.

nop
Uhhh... that would be no. Just in case you weren' t aware, Microsoft announced 1080p via download. So, sorry, but what you thought of as Sony' s huge ace-in-the-hole is pretty much thrashed.

Edit: dang, you beat me to it. I wanted to quash some rumors Majik!!! I never get to quash rumours!!![:' (][:' (]
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 18 Oct 06 23:50:03 >
Nitro

RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:56

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Edit: dang, you beat me to it. I wanted to quash some rumors Majik!!! I never get to quash rumours!!![:' (][:' (]

I' m the King so i get to quash rumours all i like!!!

That being said, perhaps you' d like to be the official rumour quashing closet monster?!
464cpc

RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 07:59
sorry man but i just couldnt give you the link anyway read it and tell me whats
happening here..........

in the world of high-definition displays 1080p = 1920 x 1080 progressive scan. It isn' t algebra, it just looks like it. Videogames have made the jump to High-Def, but understanding all this resolution, HDMI, HDCP, AACS, ICT and other techno babble is actually more confusing than your average equation. Even after you' ve got your terms sorted out, a good deal of the HD experience with next-gen gaming systems is subjective. What is a better way to see the game -- 720p or 1080i? Which is a better television type for playing games -- CRT, LCD, Plasma, or projection? With the amount of money involved in setting up a nice home theater for enjoying this new generation of gaming, it' s no surprise that people want to make sure they' re getting the best experience possible. Our own Gear Guru Gerry Block has a long running series of great HDTV Q&As that answer a lot of questions the average gamer has. Be sure to look into that if any of this stuff leaves you scratching your noggin.

At this year' s Tokyo Game Show, Microsoft announced that its fall update would add 1080p support in games and movies, giving the new console what is currently the highest grade of High-Definition resolutions. At the same conference, Sony announced that both versions of its PlayStation 3 will now have HDMI 1.3 support.

The other connections capable of carrying an HD signal (and the only ones currently supported by the Xbox 360) are Component and VGA. Both are analog connections, which means that they can' t support HDCP / AACS. They are also subject to interference if the cables run too close to masses of power lines. The really big problem with Xbox 360' s lack of HDMI support, however, is the that only a limited number of 1080p-capable HDTVs can accept the signal via analog inputs.

What does this mean? Basically, HDTVs use a fair amount of circuitry and processing power to decode incoming signals before displaying an image on the screen. Because HDMI has long been planned to be ' the connection' for HD signals, most manufacturers have built 1080p HDTVs that are only able to accept 1080p via HDMI. Consequently, only a few 1080p capable HDTVs support 1080p signals via Component connections, which are generally restricted to 1080i. A few more 1080p HDTVs will accept an analog 1080p signal via VGA, but often only with the addition of a VGA-to-DVI dongle. To put it simply, trying to work with 1080p without HDMI is very difficult.

his will leave many folks in a bit of a quandary. There are very few HDTVs that accept a 1080p signal through anything other than HDMI. The best signal that many of these 1080p displays are able to accept via analog connections is 1080i, which is de-interlaced by the HDTV' s internal circuitry to convert it back to 1080p. This is essentially exactly what these displays would do when accepting 1080i from the 360 right now. It seems Xbox 360' s new 1080p prowess may not amount to much in practice.

Microsoft: *updated* Yes, the Xbox 360 has the necessary internal bandwidth between CPUs and graphics processors to move a full 1080p image.

IGN: There are very few 1080p native HDTVs that accept 1080p via Component connections. The signal will only come in as 1080i and be de-interlaced back to 1080p. How is the 360' s new 1080p support, in practical application, going to be any different than what was already possible?

Microsoft: We can offer 1080p support through both the VGA connection and the Component connection.

IGN: Could Microsoft theoretically release an HDMI dongle-cable like the various other cables already available for the console? Is the current 360 hardware able to output a digital signal, or is it restricted to analog?

Microsoft: Xbox 360 supports HD Component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD ready TV on the market today. That' s not yet true for HDMI. We are watching the market closely and will continue to evaluate our solution, in the face of consumer demand.

***Updated 9/28, 2:15 PM PST***

IGN: Can the X360 send out a digital signal now, or ever?

Microsoft Xbox 360 currently doesn' t include a digital out connection for video. Our platform is flexible enough to allow support of a digital connection in the future should we choose to do so. When the Xbox 360 was being developed HDMI was nascent and with our current connections we support what the overwhelming majority of consumers have available to them. It' s important to note that the market penetration of 1080p displays is in the single digits. Regardless, for those early adopters who have displays and projectors that support 1080p over VGA and component we have a solution and it is a free upgrade for them. We are watching the market closely and will continue to evaluate our solution in the face of consumer demand, but have no announcements regarding additional cables or connections.

Microsoft' s current response doesn' t yet explain how the company can rectify its claimed support of 1080p with the fact that the 360 doesn' t support the connection (HDMI) that will actually allow most 1080p HDTVs to display the signal. While the VGA solution may work for a minority of 1080p HDTV owners, we' re left wondering if Microsoft is promoting this new 1080p capability primarily to blunt the onslaught of the PlayStation 3, which supports HDMI and 1080p.

Back in the days before the 360 launched, Microsoft stated that HDMI wires for the Xbox 360 would be released " when the market called for them." If the Xbox 360 is really going to be a 1080p machine, we' re pretty sure the market is calling for HDMI wires right now. The next question is whether Microsoft will hear it.
Nitro

RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 08:18
That' s from IGN.

Basically, Microsoft are adding 1080p support for all games. If it' s a game that doesn' t natively support 1080p then it' ll be upscanned from 720p. If it natively supports 1080p the the console will output it natively.

That' s what Microsoft are saying. It' s actually not that simple.

There are issues with the console not supporting DVI or HDMI and therefore not passing a digital signal. Since there are virtually no 1080p tv' s that accept a 1080p signal though component it means that your' re stuck connecting via VGA or a VGA-DVI adapter.

That aside there' s a further problem. 360, regardless of how Microsoft put it, doesn' t have the required bandwidth to pass a full 1080p image. What the scaler chip will do is de-interlace a 1080i image to 1080p. Yes, you' ll get a 1080p image, but it will a) will require additional processing power, and b) will more than likely end up with noticable artifacts as a by-product of the scaling.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 19 Oct 06 0:19:58 >
464cpc

RE: My name is Sam Fisher and I am in 1080p? - Oct 19, 2006 08:32
thanks for clearing this up.
somehow i feel more relief now............
i agree obi one

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message