Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 8 versions of Windows Vista
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 21, 2006 09:50
Wow, i knew they were going to offer diffeent versions, but 8?! Isn' t that overkill?

(note that the " N" releases are those which do not include Media Player and have been announced to comply with European directive and the anti-competitive ruling against Microsoft that forces a version without the bundled software)

1 - Windows Starter 2007
2 - Windows Vista Home Basic
3 - Windows Vista Home Basic N
4 - Windows Vista Home Premium
5 - Windows Vista Business
6 - Windows Vista Business N
7 - Windows Vista Enterprise
8 - Windows Vista Ultimate

Now according to Microsoft, the two you really need to look out for are Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate. The former will feature Media Center elements including an extender functionality for Xbox 360 owners and the latter will include everything from all 8 verisons.

Should be interesting. I think the software is due sometime towards the end of the year, although i couldn' t find any specific dates.

It' ll be interesting to see whether PS3 will be able to work with Vista the way 360 will. If not, then will Microsoft be risking losing people to other OS providers?!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 21, 2006 10:11
And they all have a very strict built in DRM (digital rights management) scheme that may bite them in the ass. We' ll see.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 21, 2006 20:44
I wonder what Apple' s Mac OS X Leopard will be like - since Vista has done a lot of things to catch up with Tiger edition and Leopard is coming out somewhere around Vista' s launch.

Did you know that you need a HIGH END PC to use all features of File browsing and so on in Vista? - The AERO browsing (copied from apple Aqua heheh) needs a high end GPU.

Shouldn' t they make OSes that actually need the lowest possible hardware usage?
(especially since they are made for other aplications to run)
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 21, 2006 20:57
fukk vista!!1
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 21, 2006 21:10
MS will defo have thought about 360 compatibility. Im returning an open verdict until there are more final versions available.

The media centre connect / extender / etc are all available for download for xp currently too.
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 27, 2006 08:19
When they say you will need a " high end" gpu, they mean anything that meets the direct x 9 standard, that means anything from geforce fx to radeon x1900, and most people already have this, or better.

But aero is not required, and if you don' t meet this requirment, windows vista will revert to " classic" mode, something akin to what windows xp already runs.

I think it' s high time we see a new windows, xp is getting pretty old by os standards.

And things have changed a great deal.

Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 27, 2006 08:26

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

Shouldn' t they make OSes that actually need the lowest possible hardware usage?
(especially since they are made for other aplications to run)

I agree. These bloated OSes are getting out of hand. The more RAM you have, the more they use! It' s rediculous! Of course, I won' t be using any of those alternate OSes. I' m just sayin' !
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 27, 2006 13:20
well, supposedly vista will be just a modified version of xp, more polished up, which is why you will need a kinda powerful PC. On the other hand, im not very technichal but from what I' ve read, WinFS is what will make Vista complete, as it was intended when it was codenamed " Longhorn" . But we' ll see that only in 2007, supposedly 6 months after the release of vista, but I don' t see it coming for at least 8 months after that. They' ve been extending the release of WinFS over and over, I' m guessing they are taking their time with it, and I sure hope so. If WinFS is what they make it out to be, I' ll be happy cuz that would make PCs work more efficiently and therefore, faster.

Yeah 8 versions, WOW!! It' s not really 8 but 6, cuz two of them are for EU like Majik said. Ill definitely be getting the ultimate, but man is that gonna cost. fuck it, ill just download it and wait until WinFS comes out and get a vista with Winfs included (like xp incl SP2).

now office 2007 should be something to wait anxiously for apparently. Paul Thurrot, the dude that has the windows supersite is really excited about it. Apparently MS is changing office from ground up. Even the looks of it. I only use MS word, so im only excited about that. Ill get some more news on it, but now I have to go to sleep.
< Message edited by KiLLeR -- 27 Feb 06 0:24:00 >
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 27, 2006 14:51

fukk vista!!1

Yeah, actually fuck windows and fuck Bill Gates. I' ll never pay for a windows operating system.
< Message edited by Game Junkie -- 27 Feb 06 6:51:52 >
KiLLeR

RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 28, 2006 06:42
so then u should say fukk mac os too, cuz it' s based on windows anyway. and it' s more nubified, in my opinion, and not that I don' t like it, so don' t get the wrong impression.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 28, 2006 06:44
Fuck you, and fuck them, and fuck EVERYBODY that' s got a problem with Mike Lowrey.

I love that film!
KiLLeR

RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 28, 2006 13:15
fukk the police, fukk the police, fukk fukk fukk fukk the police, yo fukk ' em! (Jay and Silent Bob: Strike Back, sick movie, don' t ban me for liking them)
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 28, 2006 13:19

so then u should say fukk mac os too, cuz it' s based on windows anyway. and it' s more nubified, in my opinion, and not that I don' t like it, so don' t get the wrong impression.

The Mac did it first , Gates is the copycat , although a VERY successful one at that.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Feb 28, 2006 13:57
just for the record I' m not a mac fan, infact I' ve never even touched one in my life. I just hate the way MS does buisness.
KiLLeR

RE: 8 versions of Windows Vista - Mar 01, 2006 13:46
i hate the way all companies to business. when apple reaches the top, you' ll hate them cuz right now they' re the underdog, so they can' t fuck around like MS does.

yes terry, my bad, but that was my idea, they are similar to each other. And yeah, Bill is better at marketing im guessing.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll