Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS2 first out and The last supported?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 01, 2006 22:45
Ps2 is the oldest of the current gen consoles, everybody knows this, two years later [or there abouts] gamecube and xbox came. Now the gamecube is basicly dead and M$ wants to drop the xbox becuase its a financial black hole, and Ps2 is still going strong, we even have some great titles to look forward too like God of war 2, FF12, Guitar Hero 2, Yauzka, okami, Bully and some others.

This is a great sign for the ps3, even if it is expensive, it Will last you, just like its older brothers ps2 and ps1.

So you still playing the Ps2?
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 1 Sep 06 14:45:22 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 01, 2006 22:56
I' m playing PS2 - I' m waiting for Okami and FF12 now.

But you' re wrong if you think Sony is so good in supporting their systems.It' s easy to prolong succesful console cycle.They wouldn' t bother if Xbox sold better than PS2.

Nintendo did a much better job in this when they had N64 - it was terribly unsuccesful , but quality content was delivered till the end - while it wasn' t often it was very nice of them - Sega did it all wrong with Saturn and Japan said FUCK YOU when they released DC.

So to sum it all up - it' s the advantage winners posses over competition.You don' t change or replace your succesful product.

Considering that first 2 years of PS2 were totally insignifficant and pointless, I' d say that only now has it showed it' s strong stamina.

These are no small games that are still coming and as alway they are PS3 launchtitles at the same time (if you haven' t played them on PS2) - these are very smart moves that Sony' s been mastering for 2 generations now

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 1 Sep 06 14:58:31 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 01, 2006 22:57
Microsoft may have stopped Xbox production but developers are continuing to support it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 01, 2006 23:45

Microsoft may have stopped Xbox production but developers are continuing to support it.

Sure, with port after port after multiplatform release. I haven' t seen anything great solely coming out for Xbox lately. Which in my opinion is okay, if they want to drop it and start focusing on the 360, that' s just fine with me. I' ve got a 360, and not an Xbox, so in the end, the only Xbox thing that concerns me is being able to play Psychonauts.
]GaNgStA[

RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 00:57
it' s hard to talk about xbox being alive next to PS2 which gets FF12 soon and Okami and God of War 2 later.That' s what I call support.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 1 Sep 06 16:57:48 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 02:04
The 360 has been out for nearly a year now which is why focus has turned away fromt he Xbox. Sure there are a bunch of great PS2 titles still coming out this year but will there be a year from now when the PS3 has been out for nearly a year? Your post is rather flawed.
Nitro

RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 02:43
Sony have ZERO choice to support the console, it' s the only thing that' s bringing in any money.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 02:44

Sega did it all wrong with Saturn and Japan said FUCK YOU when they released DC.

I think Segas biggest mistake was to give up on the Genesis/Mega Drive in order to focus on the Saturn alone. The Genesis was doing great in the U.S. at the time.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 02:46
Yup ... Obviously Sony has to support the ps2 till the ps3 comes out ... Lets see how much sony support ps2 when ps3 comes out ...
Nitro

RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 02:51

I think Segas biggest mistake was to give up on the Genesis/Mega Drive in order to focus on the Saturn alone. The Genesis was doing great in the U.S. at the time.

Genesis did fine. The market was split pretty evenly worldwide between Genesis and SNES.

Sega fucked up by working on and releasing the Mega CD. That and Saturn ensured they would fail. While developers LOVED the Dreamcast the publishers HATED it and saw Sony as being much more marketable.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 04:38
The dreamcast was the first next gen console in!

As maj says the Saturn wasnt killed by its own failings alone it was killed by dodgy peripherals and add ons for the megadrive / genesis. Primarily:

Mega CD / 32X / Activator etc...

..and they lost the publics confidence completely.

It didnt help Sega of America' s bullish ways, which primarily wanted to continue the genesis with the 32X add on - up against sonys PSX (how stupid was that in retrospect) and until the very last moments refused to fully acknowledge the Japenese product the Saturn.

The Saturn actually shares a lot of the same charecteristcs as the PS3 while im thinking about it!
< Message edited by musashi -- 1 Sep 06 20:39:49 >
kaoru

• Total Posts : 96
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 05:22
Sony will still have support for its PS2 current-gen, even if the PS3 is already out, top notch developer will move on it' s project to the next-gen.
Right now there is a lot of PS2 games that is gonna be out by years end anticipated title like
FF-Xll,GOW2 and mutiplatform games like NFS-Corbin Mortal Kombat-Armaggedon, and the list goes on and on.....
So the PS2 will end up close to it' s older unit, better developer team move up, while lower developer team stay, it dosent matter if North America/Europe discontinue to develope titles for the PS2, Japan developer will still keep up.
PSone has a very long life cycle debut since Dec.1994(Japan) and by 2004/5 Sony calls for no more production wich the life spanding over10+yrs. The PS2 will probably last another 9yrs until the PS4 is announce(if Sony manage to reach its goal), thats when Sony will cut off it' s production.
I am still playing my PS2(not the slim-line) and I' m playing it more then my Xbox360, beside I already have enough for the PS3, the hard part is getting one by launch.

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 07:25

PS2 titles still coming out this year but will there be a year from now when the PS3 has been out for nearly a year? Your post is rather flawed.

I am just saying how its good of Sony to contionue to bring great titles to the ps2 and not just ' next gen' them right to the ps3. Like everybody was expecting with god of war 2 before it was announced on ps2.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 11:53
I think Sony' s going to try to keep the PS2 going as long as they can, and that' s a very good strategy. I even forsee a console redesign in the future, ala-PSone.

Cost-wise, that puts them in almost direct competition with the Wii for the lay-consumer.

PS2 still has a couple of years as a viable console.
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 2 Sep 06 3:59:00 >
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 15:05

ORIGINAL: nekkid_monkey

I think Sony' s going to try to keep the PS2 going as long as they can, and that' s a very good strategy. I even forsee a console redesign in the future, ala-PSone.

Where have you been the past couple of years?

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200409/022.asp
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 16:12
FF12 was finished like 6 months ago, ps2 is dead, it has a few titles that are being translated over (like ff12) and one or 2 more decent games coming up, and thats it.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 2 Sep 06 8:13:14 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 16:31

The 360 has been out for nearly a year now which is why focus has turned away fromt he Xbox. Sure there are a bunch of great PS2 titles still coming out this year but will there be a year from now when the PS3 has been out for nearly a year? Your post is rather flawed.

If PSX is any indication , PS2 won' t die after PS3 is released.There are 100mln consoles and some devs just can' t ignore it.

It' s true that those expected-to-be-AAA titles are the last , but it' s going to last for just a little longer.

Like I said - it has nothing to do with Sony being future proof
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 2 Sep 06 8:31:48 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS2 first out and The last supported? - Sep 02, 2006 21:42
i don' t play my ps2 as before, mainly because i' m usualy uptodate with games releases, and it' s been really long since i didn' t see a very interesting game , the last big game i played was resident evil 4, after that nothing interesting (still playing suikoden V just cus i' m a fane and i' m determined to beat it like the ones before).

however i' m really glad about ps2, sony really develivered, everybody would think that ps2 will be dead by the ps3 launch, but it' s not ...
we have Okami, final fantasy 12, yakuza , yakuza 2!! god of war2, rogue galaxie , xenosaga 3, those are certainly big titles ... but to think that ps3 will do the same isn' t quite a good thinking.

sony still supports ps2 not because out of their policy but because simply ps2 is a very popular consoles, there are million households that own ps2, and thus supporting it will defintly make them money ... it' s like killing two bird with one stone, making big money and having a very good image.

nintendo can' t obviously do that with the gamecube (the last big game is zelda which is release on the wii as well)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll