Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New Study: Videogames makes you violent!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 01:43
IGN had a short article on the study that' s been made by Reuters
http://psp.ign.com/articles/747/747900p1.aspx
Here' s the full thing
Should we stop playing violent games? NintenDogs instead of Gears of War perhaps?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 02:12
Let' s see.. I' ve been playing video games for over 25 years, yet when I used to study Karate during my younger years, the two schools I went to said that I lacked aggression. Plus there' s also the fact that I have never gotten into a fight in life and I try to steer clear of conflict..

Given that I' ve been exposed to video games of ALL kinds for so long, it' s no wonder I' m such a violent bastard
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 1 Dec 06 18:13:41 >
ginjirou

RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 02:18
Maybe you play lots of " peaceful" games that er... neutralises the effects of the violent ones?
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 03:16

Let' s see.. I' ve been playing video games for over 25 years, yet when I used to study Karate during my younger years, the two schools I went to said that I lacked aggression. Plus there' s also the fact that I have never gotten into a fight in life and I try to steer clear of conflict..

...well put, Susan...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 04:30
Same here, I' ve been playing games as far back as I can remember, and I' m in martial arts, one that teaches you how to cleave people in two with 3-foot razor-blades, & I' ve never had so much as a suspension.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 04:49

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Same here, I' ve been playing games as far back as I can remember, and I' m in martial arts, one that teaches you how to cleave people in two with 3-foot razor-blades, & I' ve never had so much as a suspension.

Yes, but your name clearly states that you are " Hated" . This proves that, even if you are not inclined to violence, video games affect peoples opinions of you.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 04:51
They tried using a study like that to defend a law banning games in the US. Not only did the judge rule the law blatantly unconstitutional he also ripped apart the so called study and claimed it BS.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 05:06
These bloody Scientists with their bloody Surveys, Makes me want to take a bat to their heads!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 05:11

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Yes, but your name clearly states that you are " Hated" . This proves that, even if you are not inclined to violence, video games affect peoples opinions of you.
Yeah, Jack Thompson has a total grudge. I think I could take him though, that is... if I was violent.

I should probably restate about the martial arts thing. We aren' t taught how to cleave people in two. We' re taught how to get out of the way, or cause the opponent to spork themselves on our blades. Way more refined.
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 08:08

Should we stop playing violent games? NintenDogs instead of Gears of War perhaps?

NO! Although publicly all we see is studies that say violence in games makes us dangerous...apparently, there are just as many studies stating the opposite, that gamers are becoming more social as it becomes a more socially cool activity...

playing games = cool now
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 08:33
I must have been playing for close to twenty years now...and you wouldn' t like me when I' m angry

In all seriousness, there has to already be a few screw loose in the heads of people who are affected in this way.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 09:56
My final was based around this we were to form a question then form an answer from research.

Studies don' t prove jack-shit and to tell the truth this was the best piece of evidence I had.
Die_Hounderdoggen

• Total Posts : 275
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 10:37
VIOLENT!!? WHO' S VIOLENT?!! I' M NOT VIOLENT!! IF YOU CALL ME VIOLENT AGAIN I' LL F%^&$ RIP OFF YOUR HEAD AND $*^# DOWN YOUR NECK YOU LITTLE $%#&%%^#!!!
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 13:36
That would be influenced from duke nukem
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 02, 2006 19:12
I would post something inform and inciteful however I have to run my hoes to the brothal and then kill some rival gang members......opps I mean I have to agree with Calintz, if you are going to do something violent then that person is likely to already enjoy violence and have a very poor grip on reality...now where did I put that mini gun!!!!
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 2 Dec 06 11:13:15 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 03, 2006 20:06
Bullshit, I' m going to kill the next person to say that.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 03, 2006 21:50
Studies like this don' t prove anything. Anyone who' s had any kind of social science training will tell you that you can make the numbers mean anything, you just have to measure the factors that favor your opinion.

For example, in this experiment, why only two games? Why not a wider variety of games? Why were no kids measured after other, non-videogame related stimuli?

You can prove any point you want if you ask the right questions...that doesn' t make your point valid.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 03, 2006 21:58

Studies like this don' t prove anything. Anyone who' s had any kind of social science training will tell you that you can make the numbers mean anything, you just have to measure the factors that favor your opinion.

Yep, one of the first things you learn in Social Science is that there are lies, there damn lies, and there are statistics.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 3 Dec 06 14:05:10 >
ginjirou

RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 03, 2006 22:02
A great way of getting videogames banned in the U.S. would be if some scientist says that Saddam Hussein used to play lots of videogames.
And his and Usama Bin Ladens favourite friend to play against online was Kim Jong.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: New Study: Videogames makes you violent! - Dec 03, 2006 23:55
Hook the game almost made me drown once in a swimming pool:

The Shallow End was level 1

The Deep End was level 2 (Bearing in mind, I had NEVER EVER been in a deep
end before)..

It almost drowned my brother, and I had to keep tip-toe jumping through the deep
end to get to the Shallow End.... I never reached level 5 however, I chickened out
at 2..

I suck..

What does this have to do with violence? Well, I jumped out of the pool in my
swimming trunks (I was 9) and decided to go and play tennis bare foot on a
scorching hot tennis court, I don' t know what kind of ground it was, maybe clay.

It was torcher of self-inflicted pain and urm... being guilt-ridden for almost losing
my brother... He was saved by a South-African woman, who happened to know first-aid..
< Message edited by tIZ -- 3 Dec 06 15:55:28 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread