Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 00:34

According to reports out of Europe, Sony Computer Entertainment UK sales director Kevin Jowett has left the company just weeks before the Euro launch of the PlayStation 3.

According to Next-Gen Euro media partner MCV, Jowett resigned to pursue other undisclosed opportunities outside of the games industry. The European launch of the PS3 is set for March 23, with product already on the way from China.

Jowett had been sales director since 1998, and has worked on retailer allocation of PlayStation hardware.

MCV said that Jowett’s departure would be a “blow” to Sony’s UK operations, citing a “leading games buyer” who called the timing of the resignation “absolutely incredible.” The buyer said that the move could disrupt retailer negotiations regarding the PS3 launch.

The buyer added, “Obviously, Sony is a big organization and there will be people there who can fill Kevin’s position. But this can’t be helpful to them.”

At last week’s D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas, SCE Worldwide Studios boss Phil Harrison confirmed that there would be 1 million PS3 hardware units available in Europe on launch day.

Sony had shipped 2 million units total in North America and Japan as of the second week of January.

LINK

*cough* Bernie Stolar *cough*
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 06:18
You' re spot on, although was he pushed as our friend was?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 08:06
But Bernie Stolar was a multiple offender, and an idiot. This guy just seems to want to get out.
Nitro

RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 17:22
Whatever the reason, leaving just weeks before the biggest console launch ever after the companies troublesome past year just plain looks bad. Especially after KK was reassigned not so long ago.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 18:06
I don' t want it to happen. But with all this negativity surrounding the PS3, I can' t help but feel that the PS3 is going to seriously flop, sometime down the line.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 22:40
Y' know, if they hadn' t shaken up the European launch as much as they have, I would have disagreed with you, but there just doesn' t seem to be much good news for them these days. Like, at all.
Nitro

RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 22:43
I still maintain that a DVD equipped machine would have been better.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Playstation UK Sales Boss Quits - Feb 14, 2007 22:50
They could have released the smaller games on DVD, then bumped up to Blu-Ray. ala-PS2. That worked for them last time.

I think that if the PS3 had gotten off to a good start, then Blu-Ray would have really taken off, & I still think it will. But I don' t think that PS3 will be as much of a factor this time, especially since there' s a competing media already on the market.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll