Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Eternal Darkness Sanity effects
DJ Sack

• Total Posts : 10
Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 15, 2004 19:15
If you' d rather not read these as your playing the game then go away now. If not enjoy

Im just finishing off the war chapter now and this game is doing my bloody nut in with the sanity effects. Hearing a character muttering to themselves, fine i can handel that, the camera tilting, meh.

But going through a door being confronted with zombies, going back through the previous door so i can heal in safty only to be confronted by 4 Big huge fuck off beasts who are right next to the door is just not FAIR! And then as one nearly kills me it switches back to the previous room i had just entered. Stop messing with my HEAD!

Hearing the screams and cries of a woman in the room next to you. Now that worries me. Hearing wind chimes, werid and slightly spooky.

But having my character fire off random bullets all by himself in random directions is not funny! Just as im about to save my game, having the Game slowly delete them and then show up the intro logo is NOT funny either. The controller has been removed, yes thats clever, even if your using a wave bird. Having blood drip down the walls, meh. Having werid knocks okay thats cool.

But having your character shrink into the ground, i thought it was a bug.

God i hate this game so much, i though sanity effects would be a gimmick, but no they do your head in, scare the hell out of you and make you question your own sanity at times. Really they do. And many are so well done.

I want more games with sanity effects!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 17, 2004 12:14
Sounds like a cool game. I haven' t played it, or heard that much about it for that matter. Would you reccomend it?
deadmeat

• Total Posts : 63
RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 20, 2004 20:35
Rampage,

Sorry for trying to ressurect this thread. But, I' ve been trying to post at some " gaming" sites and not just exclusively xbox LIVE sites.

Eternal Darkness is a very slick game. If you have a GC, then, I would recommend this game. It is pretty cool.

The story is really a collection of smaller short stories or chapters. You play as one of several different characters that uncover the entire story.

Very interesting game.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 20, 2004 22:11
If you want to kind of get the experience of that game for a bit cheaper then I have to suggest reading any of H.P. Lovecrafts books of short stories. He is still one of the masters of horror, and he' s been dead for years. Basically the whole game of Eternal Darkness was inspired by his writings. If anyone is interested I' m sure I can get some of the stories into this thread, just to give you a taste of what Eternal Darkness would be like.
deadmeat

RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 20, 2004 22:45
Just to let you know how " uncultured" I am, I was not aware that Eternal Darkness was based on some literary work.

But, I guess everything has its origins.

Maybe I should try reading.................maybe not.
Rampage99

RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 21, 2004 04:13
Well I don' t have a GC so I won' t be getting it any time soon. The thing is, with such a tantalizing price tag, the GC really taunts me. I just don' t see enough AAA titles that fit my gaming needs. I' m just keeping an eye out for more good games on the system.
yoshimitsu15

RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 21, 2004 04:17
Let me see if I can find a site that has some of Lovecraft' s work on it...
yoshimitsu15

RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 21, 2004 04:30
Here' s my personal favorite, as it' s related to where I live.

http://www.netropic.org/lovecraft/whisperer.aspx

The overall jist of the story is this farmer finds some piece of block, with symbols he' s never seen before on it. He eventually get' s a man to come out to him to view it, but then things start to go wrong. Dogs end up dead...trees are thrown over the road trapping them at their house...and this weird buzzing/flapping sound is heard at night at the edge of the woods. It' s quite the lengthy story, if you would rather read a smaller Lovecraft tale look for either The Outsider or The Terrible Old Man. Although I have to say that this story is far superior to most of his tales, and is not surpassed by any.

Also, you may have heard of Reanimator or From Beyond, both of which are Lovecraft stories and the movies do neither the justice they deserve. After reading Reanimator and actually watching the movie...I was pissed off at how much they changed. Anyways, I' m too hardcore Lovecraft, lol. I hope you read it.
< Message edited by yoshimitsu15 -- 3/21/2004 4:30:48 AM >
Rampage99

RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 21, 2004 04:34
I may check it out. Thanks Yosh
DJ Sack

• Total Posts : 10
RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 21, 2004 13:22
Its a great game, you' d be wise to get it, as its at a pretty cheap price and made by the same people who have just released MGS:TTS. I did a review on it at my site www.casuallyhardcore.co.uk too.
deadmeat

RE: Eternal Darkness Sanity effects - Mar 21, 2004 14:32
Yoshi:
Now that you mention Reanimator, I do recognize the name. (I actually have a couple of Reanimator movies).

Rampage:
Here are some games for GC that are pretty good. (I' m sure you are aware of most already, but, these are some of my favorites)

1. Eternal Darkness
2. Resident Evil 0
3. Metroid Prime
4. Rebel Strike
5. Super Mario Sunshine
6. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (I don' t have it, but, it was one of my favorites on PS1. If you didn' t get a chance to play it, now is the perfect time. I might even go out and buy this game.

I' ll admit that I don' t own as many GC games as Xbox or PS2 games, but, for 99 bucks, it' s not too bad for some really fun games. (hopefully, I' m not leaving out any other games that I own)

DJ:
I would also recommend Eternal Darkness. It was a great gaming experience.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll