Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Bad news about Blu-ray.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 11:31

Blu-ray makes unexpected, three-way DRM choice for high-def DVD

Scott M Fulton III

August 10, 2005 - 13:18 EST

Hollywood (CA) - In an announcement last night, the Blu-ray Disc Association, led by Sony, representing one of two competing high-definition DVD formats, stated it will simultaneously embrace digital watermarking, programmable cryptography, and a self-destruct code for Blu-ray disc players.

The BDA statement is unprecedented not only because its solution to the nagging problem of digital rights management is to embrace every option on the table, but also because Blu-ray appears to have developed its own approach--in some cases, proprietary--to each of these three technologies. Knowledge of this impending fact may have been what tipped movie studio 20th Century-Fox last week to throw its support behind Blu-ray, in a move that experts believe balanced the scales in Blu-ray' s ongoing battle with competing format HD DVD--backed by a forum led by Toshiba--to become the next high-def industry standard.

The digital watermarking technique, which will be called ROM Mark, is described in the statement as " a unique and undetectable identifier in pre-recorded BD-ROM media such as movies, music and games." " BD-ROM" is the proposed writable version of the Blu-ray format. Little else is known about ROM Mark at this time, except that the statement describes it as being undetectable to consumers. This is noteworthy in itself, since a previously heralded watermark applied to first-generation DVDs was notoriously defeated by someone writing over it with a permanent marker.

One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was Blu-ray' s embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of " self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM " update" that would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless and until it is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming. The Blu-ray statement noted that certain elements of AACS have yet to be formally approved by the BDA.

The third part of the announcement that is perhaps most surprising, is Blu-ray' s adoption of a third DRM technique that appears to embrace some of the ideals of one of the technologies that had been considered, without actually licensing its methodology or its existing tools. The BDA statement introduces what it calls " BD+," described as " a Blu-ray Disc specific programmable renewability enhancement that gives content providers an additional means to respond to organized attacks on the security system by allowing dynamic updates of compromised code."

BD+ appears to be Blu-ray' s version of a concept previously under consideration called SPDC, which enabled the method for encrypting a disc' s contents to be included on the disc, rather than on the EPROMs of the disc player. One of the perceived failures of first-generation DVD was that its encryption mechanism of choice, called Content Scramble System (CSS), was spectacularly defeated, with the result being that the industry was forced to permanently and irreversibly support a now-worthless encryption scheme. With SPDC, new encryption algorithms could be adopted as old ones are cracked, enabling successive generations of high-def DVD to be stronger than earlier ones.

Two months ago, the HD DVD Forum considered a coupling of AACS with SPDC. But a scientifically accurate though politically imbalanced white paper released by the creators of SPDC technology, Cryptography Research, Inc. (CRI), soundly rebuked alternative DRM technologies, and thus may have unintentionally played a role in SPDC' s falling out of favor with the original supporters of CSS, some of whom were HD DVD Forum members. The Forum rejected " AACS+SPDC" for undisclosed reasons, leading many to speculate that Blu ray would respond by embracing SPDC.

However, as SPDC was originally discussed, there would only have been one encryption standard in use throughout the industry at any one time. According to yesterday evening' s BDA statement, BD+ would follow SPDC' s core principle, but instead allow each content provider to utilize whatever encryption standard it sees fit at the time. " With these enhancements," the statement reads, " content providers have a number of methods to choose from to combat hacks on Blu-ray players. Moreover, BD+ affects only players that have been attacked, as opposed to those that are vulnerable but haven' t been attacked and therefore continue to operate properly."

This last sentence is important, because one key objection that experts raised to the pairing of AACS with SPDC was the possibility that, once the single SPDC encryption scheme was broken, AACS could trigger a signal to all players using that encryption scheme, rendering all discs that use this scheme unplayable, perhaps prior to a system upgrade. The BDA statement appears to distance itself from the CRI approach to SPDC, perhaps to calm consumer fears that entire libraries of perfectly legitimate content could be rendered useless due to someone else' s illicit activities.

The CRI white paper, incidentally, distinguished SPDC by contrasting it with other DRM techniques such as watermarking. " Although some progress is being made at improving robustness and efficiency," the white paper states, " we are not optimistic that a practical and secure public watermarking scheme is possible." Such comparisons may have worked against SPDC' s eventual adoption by Blu-ray in method as well as in principle.

On behalf of the HD DVD Forum this morning, Toshiba' s advisor to the Forum, Mark Knox, released a brief statement: " Today' s announcement by the BD Group should not confuse anyone," states Knox. " HD DVD' s content protection system provides the highest level of advanced copy protection to meet content owner' s needs and the rigors of consumer demand." Knox goes on to say that AACS--which now singularly forms the crux of HD DVD' s DRM--is the most advanced such scheme yet devised, and that HD DVD' s own membership continues to back that approach.

" We will continue to promote further penetration of the format," Knox added, " while simultaneously seeking ways to eventually realize a single format that delivers optimized benefits to all concerned industries and, most important, to consumers."

Tom' s Hardware Guide will present an in-depth analysis of the Blu-ray/HD DVD format combat Thursday morning in its Business Reports section. There, we' ll speak with industry experts, including one prominent media pioneer, in examining how the participants in this struggle may actually have always been planning for its eventual resolution, and what form the fruits of that resolution may take.

source- http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050810_131820.aspx

Definately not liking the idea that I put in bold...
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 11:34
NOT COOL! Like I want to chance that because of a scratch on my disc it fails security clearance(could happen theorhetically) and my blue Ray player turns into a smoking cigar!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 11:50

One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was Blu-ray' s embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of " self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM " update" that would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless and until it is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming.

DUDES that' s friggin AWESOME!1!! I CAN' T wait to get my box zapped over " hot box" Pay-Per-View recordings!
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 11:55
whoa that is freaky. Well i am now glad Nintendo and MS stuck with normal DVD' s.
Rampage99

RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 13:25
The whole thing about frying your drive and disc is sucky as hell but you guys are missing the even bigger problem. They are saying in order to play a Blu-Ray disc your Blu-Ray drive MUST be connected to the net. That means you can' t play the movie or game unless the system is actually connected to Sony. Jeeze... I thought having a core system and a premium package was splitting the userbase.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 16 Sep 05 21:27:25 >
Gawst_Smeva

• Total Posts : 10
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 14:20
Not only is this frightening, but highly impractical. I do not think the self-destruct property will be part of the design of the PS3. Think of all the problems possible that would not be the fault of the owner. Imagine the amount of anti-BR technology that would result of such a silly concept. PEOPLE burn CDs and occasion a buyer accidently buys a bootleg over the internet (used DVDs) and imagine how sucky it would be to not know and whamo! The internet connection always present, renders anyone without internet access (it does exsist) unable to play. Hopefully things will change.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 14:24
And i didnt think we needed more reasons to dislike sony!!!
Rampage99

RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 15:57
More bad news...
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/70-to-80-ps3-games-123184.php

Oh and even worse... no link but rumors at my school from staff that are developers are saying the PS3 will be $500. GAH!!!
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 17:50
Wow, pure Genius. Lemme give a cookie to the person who thought of this.

the PS3 will be $500. GAH!!!

I' ve been hearing this rumor as well. Sadly, I' m not surprised.
mxpx182

RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 18:37
I can' t wait for it to release to 500.... Terry knows why!!!
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 18:41

Hehe...true. That goes against what Terry believed that it would only be $299.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 19:06

I already emailed Adam about the umm you know what this morning .

If I were smart I' d wait until Sony gives an *official* pricing for the PS3 before jumping the gun but I' ve never been such and a part of me is kinda anxious to wear my brand spanking new Ricky Martin avatar with pride . What was it again? One month with the Rickster?
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 17 Sep 05 3:07:14 >
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 16, 2005 20:46
I just realized that article is like a month old.
mxpx182

RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 17, 2005 01:04
1 month it was! I' m not completely discounting the chance I' ll be sporting a mary kate avatar, but it' s looking less likely!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 29, 2005 03:22
WOW I knew it could be something like 500 (hope it' s not more) but games 70 - 80$?
WTF?
For what? Games that look worse or the same as my 50$ (some 60$) X360 games?
The thing is we' ll have hard times when next Final Fantasy or MGS shows up...

I think PS3 can' t match X360+Revolution Combo - and it costs almost as much :)
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 29, 2005 16:07
I' ll give my prediction AGAIN! PS3 will be delayed either until the end of 2006 or until early 2007. It will retail at $599. Just before the Christmas season of 2007 they will discount it to $499.

Blu-Ray AIN' T CHEAP!!
Aku_San

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Bad news about Blu-ray. - Sep 29, 2005 18:19
That SUCKS!!!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages