Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 MMORPG & Gaming Addictions Anonymous
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
MMORPG & Gaming Addictions Anonymous - Jan 07, 2006 17:45
In 2005 I had to battle with one of the most crippling addictions I' ve ever faced in my life. It left me with no spare time and caused constant friction between my girlfriend and I. I' m not ashamed to admit; I was addicted to a MMORPG. The game in question is The Matrix Online. So in some kind of Addicts Anonymous meeting I though I' d ask if you' d ever been actively addicted to a MMORPG or any other game for that matter... so much so that it started causing ' problems' .

I' m being a bit dramatic with my suggestion but it' s defiantly a game I' ve spent the most time playing in a short space of time. I was on it so much I stopped posting here for a few months!

I' ve also tried WOW but felt myself being pulled in and decided I didn' t want to commit my life to it so I could advance.
< Message edited by whatabout_paul -- 8 Jan 06 23:22:35 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: MMORPG Addiction - Jan 08, 2006 08:05
I' ve never gotten the addiction, thankfully. I played a couple of MMORPGs, but they did nothing for me. The ones I played were Ultima Online and Guild Wars.

I hear that WoW is very addictive, and was tempted to give it a try, but I have resisted thus far. I' m actually glad one hasn' t been released for the Xbox (yet). I don' t think I need anything like that in my life right now. I need to get off my ass and get things done as it is!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: MMORPG Addiction - Jan 08, 2006 09:28
I havent been addicted to a MMORPG, i only played WoW, but my time to play was cut down by having a needy girlfriend, and then in may she gave birth to my daughter. Was i single, i would be in raid groups every single night, now i dont play anymore!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: MMORPG Addiction - Jan 08, 2006 09:41
mmorpgs should be sold like cigarettes, with warning signs on the side of it. Instead of having ' Smoking will kill you slowy' it should be something like ' mmorpgs will kill your spare time' or ' mmorpgs seriously reduces your chances of you ever having sex again'

Thankfully i never " played" one. But i would not fall before it, I am strong!. Anyway you have to pay monthly fees, you stupid crazy people.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: MMORPG Addiction - Jan 08, 2006 10:00
In china,your only allowed to play 3 hour per day via a mmoprg.
No joke,its in the law now.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: MMORPG Addiction - Jan 08, 2006 11:00

In china,your only allowed to play 3 hour per day via a mmoprg.
No joke,its in the law now.

Actually thats only a part truth. You can play 3 hours, after which the game willl half your level, and after 2 more overs, it will set you down as vitually a level 1. Every MMO developed has to have this feature to be legal.

After a pause of 5 hours, your character will return to the original level!
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: MMORPG Addiction - Jan 08, 2006 15:20
Of course in China and Korea they are way bigger on MMORPG' s and games have become a major sport. It' s scary to think someone could die from sitting in front of their TV for too long just playing a game. I joke about playing a game to death but the most I' ve ever done on The Matrix Online was play until the early hours of the morning and crawl to bed realising the time at 5-6am. When something like just playing too long is a problem I think the government is right to limit the amount of time you can play.

I' ve changed the topic title to try and encourage some discussion on games in general.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: MMORPG & Gaming Addictions Anonymous - Jan 08, 2006 15:48
Wasnt a MMORPG that got me, twas Ghost Recon 2 over Xbox Live...

It was more about the people with whom I played tho. We meet up around the same time in the evening setup a private room, and its just great fun from then on. And since its friends only, we dont have to deal with the normal annoyances that come from playing on Live at any random place. The first night we all met up I think we went and played from about 8pm-6am... Most of us dont have that kinda time anymore but we do cram in a good 3+ hrs a night. Almost the same group of ppl from the first day Ghost Recon 2 came out and we all even migrated to GR2:Summit Strike.

Since however, this is in the evenign only, it doesnt often interfere with the rest of my life. Work is steady (tho I am tired somtimes), chickapoo88 only occasionally gets annoyed, but being a gamer herself she understands. Oddly enough some of these ppl seem like better friends then the ones I deal with in the outside world...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll