Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Terabyte Me
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Terabyte Me - Sep 05, 2004 01:05

From Teamxbox:
Japan-based Optware Corp. has announced it had achieved successfully the world' s first recording and play back of digital movies on a Holographic Versatile Discâ„¢ (HVD) with a reflective layer using Optware' s revolutionary Collinear Holography.

Recording holographic page data on a rotating transparent disc has been reported before. Such discs, however, are foreign to the conventional optical discs. Lacking the servo information, they do not seem to have a commercial viability. On the contrary Optware has proposed Collinear Holographic recording on a hologram disc the structure of which follows conventional optical disc, i.e. preformatted disc with a reflective layer (disc with servo information).

Holographic recording technology records data on discs in the form of laser interference fringes, enabling existing discs the same size as today' s DVDs to store as much as one terabyte of data (200 times the capacity of a single layer DVD), with a transfer speed of one gigabyte per second (40 times the speed of DVD). This approach is rapidly gaining attention as a high-capacity, high-speed data storage technology for the age of broadband.

The Japanese company plans to commercialize the technology in the first quarter of 2006 and use the technology for enterprise applications, offering 200GB Holographic Versatile Discs and reader/writer players that will cost about $2,700.

The only way I can see this benefitting the console industry is MMORPG' s being released on a single disc and not having to be installed to a huge harddrive.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Terabyte Me - Sep 05, 2004 01:46
Could you imagine Final Fantasy 23 being put on that thing? One CG cutscene would last 3 days!!!;-)
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Terabyte Me - Sep 05, 2004 02:05

One CG cutscene would last 3 days!!! ;-)

I thought they already did.

j/k
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Terabyte Me - Sep 05, 2004 16:47
Games rarely use the full capacity of single layer DVDs as it is, and when they do they always have gratuitous amounts of FMV. This technology really isn' t that big of a deal to video games right now, in my " never wrong" opinion.

The best place this will be used is for uncompressed movies in HDTV! Compression sucks ass. Why have compressed when you can have FULL QUALITY? Ah I think I' ll buy that D-VHS machine anyway to go with my new HDTV!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll