Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 12:17
Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline

Upcoming racing sim to be offline only; online driving planned for next year.

At a press conference held during the first day of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony and Polyphony Digital have announced that Gran Turismo will hit Japanese shelves on December 3, 2004. A North American and European release is currently targeted for December 14. Additionally, it has been announced that the upcoming version of Gran Turismo will not have an online racing mode. That functionality is planned for a new Gran Turismo game, tentatively planned for release in 2005.

We' ll have more on Gran Turismo 4, including impressions of some of its newly-announced B-Spec mode, very soon.

By Staff -- GameSpot

< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 9/24/2004 12:18:01 PM >
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 15:13
Fine by me. I don' t give a fig about online play, and so long as you keep it in 2004, I' m happy.
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 16:23
LOL.Thats just sad.They announced the game like 2 years ago and said it will be online and now they get rid of online mode.

Stupid Stupid sony.But ill still check the game out.

And i will never get my PS2 online anyway.
fathoms

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 16:42

LOL.Thats just sad.They announced the game like 2 years ago and said it will be online and now they get rid of online mode.

And how is this any worse than announcing a game 4 years ago, constantly promoting it as the " best RPG ever made," only to have it be released and find out it' s not even the best RPG on the console, let alone ever made?

' cough' Fable ' cough'

Between that, Brute Force, Blinx, KotoR, Morrowind, and Ninja Gaiden, all games that saw 1-3 years delays, the DelayBox is the king of missed release dates.
< Message edited by fathoms -- 9/24/2004 5:29:42 PM >
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 17:23
The delays are so the developers could make the games even better...well, that' s at least what they say...

Online play is over-rated anyway...I enjoyed playing Mech Assault online, but only for a short time. Live! is nice to have, but some of us have a lot going on in our lives (family, bills, etc.) and cannot really spend enough time to justify it' s cost.

For me, it wasn' t the game...it was that most companies make a single-player experience that more fully satisfies the gamer without having to go online.

The game should be satisfying without online play being added into the equation...otherwise, why would you even want to play the game with someone else? To bore and/or annoy them to death?

fathoms

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 17:33
DaRoosh: Delays to make a game better are part of the business, and don' t bother me. Delays that span several years because the publishers simply want to jack the hype through the roof annoy the sh** out of me. Yes, they may be spending that time to make the game better, but if that' s the case, don' t shove it in my face a good two years before it will be ready.

Ninja Gaiden, for example, was originally scheduled for the Fall of 2002, and it finally came out more than two full years later. The game turned out to be spectacular, but why was it on the COVER of OXM in 2002? Does that make any sense? That' s the kind of thing that irks me.......
fathoms

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 17:34

Online play is over-rated anyway...

And I agree 1,000%.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 24, 2004 23:21
While I couldn' t care less about online (I am going to cancel my Xbox Live when it runs out), I would really like to see some " in-game" shots of GT4. All of the pics that have been released are external (not player' s POV) shots of cars. Some of these pics are in resolutions WAY higher than the PS2 can produce, so they are obviously (and intentionally) deceptive. I want to see what I would see if I played the game, as I played the game. I don' t give a rat' s ass what the replays look like. Now that a date is announced, they should have finished enough of the game where they can actually take real screenshots.... unless they are hiding something for some reason.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 25, 2004 00:36
I like online play for the competition. I guess it' s one of those things that people are going to always be split on. There are things about online play that are tiresome, such as the idiots that you can find on almost all of the servers that every online game is running on right now...you know who you are. For me however, I' ve had more good experiences online than not.

As to the no online mode in GT4...disappointing to say the least for an online player. It would have added depth in a racer that have no been seen yet on a console. It' s not going to hurt the sales of the game as it' s got a big fanbase. That' s what I think anyways...
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 26, 2004 18:40
I' m not bothered at all by this. To me, it just says that they want this game so perfect that they would rather hold off the online mode until they had time to make it worthy of their name. I was never really that excited about online racing in the first place, though.
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 26, 2004 23:32
i am sooooo glad that i did not bought me that internet adaptor ! becouse the only reason for me to take my ps2 online would be gran turismo 4 ! and now they take it away. what a big dissapointment this is. lucky there are a few good racers comming on xbox, and they can go online.
Russian Mobster

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 26, 2004 23:34

And how is this any worse than announcing a game 4 years ago, constantly promoting it as the " best RPG ever made," only to have it be released and find out it' s not even the best RPG on the console, let alone ever made?

' cough' Fable ' cough'

Between that, Brute Force, Blinx, KotoR, Morrowind, and Ninja Gaiden, all games that saw 1-3 years delays, the DelayBox is the king of missed release dates.

As for Brute Force that game was ok.It was everything they said it was if not better.Blinx was tight.
Fable is the best RPG on XBOX,and its one of the best RPG' s ever made.I have KOTOR and FABLE makes it looks like shit.

What do u think is the best RPG ever????(dont give me what the critics say because they say what they are paid to say)
fathoms

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 27, 2004 03:39
Russian: I' m very glad your opinions are immutable laws of fact. Most critics that write the reviews you read (I' m talking online, here), aren' t paid a dime. And logically speaking, all we' re talking about here are Xbox games, so why should MS care which game of theirs scores higher than the others?

Fable can' t touch KotoR in 99% of all reviews written. Most everyone agrees. Blinx was not " tight," it was mediocre and hardly worth playing. Brute Force was reputed to be the best action game ever made, and it could hardly be classifed as good.

I' m guessing the only RPG' s you' ve played in your entire life are all on Xbox. Why? Because all you care about is Microsoft, all you own is the Xbox, and I dare say it' s the very first system you' ve ever owned.

Not every new Xbox game is godlike, not every new MS product is better than everything else, and " the best RPG ever made" is just as subjective as anything else. See, here' s the thing- you don' t know a darn thing about any games outside of the Xbox. Therefore, you have zero foundation to compare and contrast. You can sit here and laugh at GT 4' s lack of online play (which will show up in 2005), while it will probably destroy any racer on Xbox anyway, online or no (and that is ALSO an opinion).

Until you can prove to me and everyone else here that you have some sort of knowledge that extends beyond the Xbox, I really won' t consider your words to be worth reading.
< Message edited by fathoms -- 9/27/2004 3:49:30 AM >
Russian Mobster

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 28, 2004 04:33
First off XBOX is the last console i bought.
I have PS1,PS2,Dreamcast,N64,GBA,GB pocket,and i have a top of the line PC.So dont tell me i dont have other systems.

I have DOOM 3,Far Cry,all of the Age of Empire Games and all of The Command&Conquer games for PC.
I had FFX for PS2 the i sold it because it was total crap.

I liked GTA3 and VC,GT3 was ok but still boring and those 2 hour races were total bullshit.

MGS1&2 are still some of my best action games.Shenmue is 1 of my best RPG' s.Tekken 3 and Tag tournaments are still some of the best fighting games out.

Zelda and mario are THE BEST Adventure series.

I will get.
PS2: GT4,MGS3,GTASA maybe some other games as well.
GAmeCube: The new zelda game.
I will buy the DS and the PSP.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 28, 2004 05:26

I liked GTA3 and VC,GT3 was ok but still boring and those 2 hour races were total bull***.

Dudeness! You should try LeMans 24 Hours for the Dreamcast (the PS2 version was ass-quality compared to the Dreamcast) and do the 24 hour race. Yes, it takes 24 hours in real time. The sun goes down and eventually comes back up again. You can thankfully save at pit stops. I did the full 24 hours. I loved that game. My girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas oh so long ago.

I have Fathoms blocked, but I assume he told you that you don' t own any other consoles than the Xbox? That is awesome! I hope Fathoms can tell me which systems I own. If he does, quote him so I can read it.
fathoms

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 28, 2004 14:53
Russian: Then why? WHY? Why are all your posts hyping Xbox stuff? There are other discussions going on around here, but you never join in unless it' s Xbox related.

You' ve really got to explain this to me. Why only pipe up when it' s about one system? There are LOTS of old-school gamers in here, if you hadn' t noticed...
Russian Mobster

RE: Gran Turismo 4 gets a release date, goes offline - Sep 28, 2004 17:15
Its just that i injoy more games on XBOX then other consoles.I played doom3 and far cry for about 6 hours each and i got bored of it.The only games i really injoy on pc are strategy games(Red Alert,Age Of Empire,Commandos)

Other consoles have good games but for some reason i only injoy them for a little while then i never play them again.There are games that i got for XBOX that i didnt injoy for long(Brute Force,GTA3&VC,True Crime).

But the majority of games that i really like are on XBOX.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll