Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond
Spacepiston

• Total Posts : 164
PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond - Sep 06, 2003 20:54
In case you dont know yet, Battlefield 1942 is hands down the best game of its type ever made. (applies to online play only) Anaylists have reported that 1 out of every 4 people who play this game online is addicted. I would agree. If you dont then your in denial. Apparently it currently holds the #1 position (even over EverCrack) as the most addictive game on the market.

So, now that we understand just how great the game is...we can also agree that the expansion packs are worthless. As is the single-player mode. But many mods are being developed for free on the internet. The best and most popular by far is Desert Combat.

Desert Combat is BF42 brought into the modern day. All vehicles and unit types are updated, and in my opinion better. Many new maps have also been created, but the core of the game is still played on the existing maps. Another great feature is that its fully incorperated into the original game, and you can play either a game of regular BF, or without even reloading switch to a mod game.

Nothing beat the thrill of the Hum-V, or the challange of fly the choppers. I used to think that Desert Combat was more unbalanced then the regular game, but after playing through an entire tournament and several patches it has become more fun and balanced then the regular game.

Which brings me to our final addict stronghold; 21st Century Warefare! This is definitely not for the casual player, or the slightly addicted. 21CW is Tournement style play with a command structure. You play in a division and have a rank. You follow orders or your ranking officers will admin-kick you out of the game, and then ban you from the servers and forums. Also all-chat is strictly forbidden. Typing in general is heavily frowned on. Each division (about 500 members) uses a program called " Teamspeak" which through the use of your microphone and speakers allows you to keep in touch directly with your company, division, and commanding officers.

Battles are held for 12 hours straight about twice a week. You dont have to attend the entire 12 hours, but some do. Most people play a few hours when they can. The servers hold 25 from each team, so if more of yoru division shows up you have to wait in a " watiing room" for your commanding officer to give orders to join the game. It seems annoying, but its not too difficult and I never waited more then 30 minutes.

The objective of 21CW is to conquer the opposing forces by battling over a series of maps for control...sorta like RISK, accept instead of rolling the dice you play for 12 hours.

This is a totally free tourney. The only catch is you have to stay active, and practice occasionaly with your division, or you will be removed and/or not allowed to play a particular battle. The servers are not public, andyou can look forward to some pretty fun team-style fighting. Its nothing like the public servers, and nobody dis-obeys orders. Play with some of the best: www.21stcenturywarfare.net The 3rd campaign is next, ranks are being filled now.
Spacepiston

RE: PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond - Sep 13, 2003 20:34
What resolution do you run your BF42 at? 1024X768? With 4X Anti-Aliasing?
I do...no problem with the ati 9700 pro, or should i say the " modded 9500"

Peace!
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond - Sep 14, 2003 13:18
Me no play PC games because PC' s no love me.
MuteCity

• Total Posts : 159
RE: PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond - Sep 16, 2003 22:28
I' ve been trying to get into BF1942 for awhile now, playing the demo on and off, and its really not my bag. I like the idea of huge maps and vehicles, but in the case of BF1942 I' d rather play Enemy Territory. This game seems more in your face, bullets flying passed your head, non-stop action. BF' s pace just seems slower to me. Also not that it matters much, but I think its graphics are less than spectacular. I guess I like instant gratification in shooters, not driving halfway across a huge map to get it.
< Message edited by MuteCity -- 9/16/2003 10:29:09 PM >
Spacepiston

RE: PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond - Sep 17, 2003 03:03
The demo hardly does the game justice. The graphic quality is dictated by your computer' s ability to display high resolution, high detail, filtering and anti-alaising ability. Not to mention that 50 player lag free fighting can be quite entertaining.

The maps are big, which is great. Your not supposed to walk across them. As a matter of fact that would be plain boring in many instances. Either you fly or you drive.

Now in the case of regular Battlefield, the vehicles dont go very fast..but it all has to do with the average PC' s ability to support the game and the developers market preference...obviously they want as many people playing it as possible and thus the game is designed to run on a variety of machines.. But Desert Combat mod uses fast moving hum-v' s jets, and helicopters. Not to mention the special forces unit, mortar, and heavy assault. Its alot more fun. Lets not for get that SCUD missle launcher!

If your looking for a cookie cutter FPS then this isnt the game for you..but for everyone else it probably is.
MuteCity

• Total Posts : 159
RE: PC GAMING: Battlefield 1942 & Beyond - Sep 17, 2003 07:07
I just built a computer, high detail and such isn' t a problem. Anyway, perhaps the demo doesn' t do it justice, but it should help convince you to purchase the game. Ever gave Enemy Territory a whirl ?:) I like it because it implemented an experience/skill system, and is objective driven, instead of capture the flag. But essentially its still defending and attacking, can' t really get away from that. Definetly needs more maps though.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll