Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nintendo Continues to dominate US market
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 15, 2007 10:03
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=al_jVeWnhvSA

In this Bloomberg report Nintendo' s two new consoles continue to out sell rival consoles by a significant margin.

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co. extended the lead of its Wii video-game console over Sony Corp.' s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.' s Xbox 360, selling more than 338,000 machines in the U.S. in May.

Sony sold 81,600 PlayStation 3 consoles and Microsoft sold 154,900 Xbox 360s, according to data compiled by NPD Group Inc., a research firm in Port Washington, New York. Nintendo' s Wii has outsold the competition since it was released in November.

Sales of game consoles grew 79 percent to $221.4 million from the year-earlier period, while console software rose 31 percent to $274 million, NPD said. Nintendo had the most popular console game with ``Mario Party 8.' ' Sony' s new machine continued to struggle in software sales, failing to place a single game in the top 10.
Sony' s older PlayStation 2 outsold both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, with sales of 187,800 machines.

Activision Inc.' s ``Spiderman 3' ' for the Sony' s PlayStation 2 was the second-ranked console game, while Nintendo' s ``Wii Play,' ' which comes with a remote control, was third, NPD said. The top game for Microsoft' s Xbox was ``Forza Motorsport 2,' ' in fourth place.

I know people here hate seeing these NPD numbers (& the Japanese sales numbers which i delibrately not post since the Japanese market is ' no longer relevent' ) only because Nintendo leads the charts but it does put into question many of the claims put here by members stating that Wiis popularity will drop soon after its release. Its been 7 months and as the article states the Wii has & continues to outsell its rivals since it was released. Looking at the sales figures for the past 7 months from Japan and the US i have not seen any sign of Wiis popularity dropping. Considering that there is no real AAA exclusives on the console these results are nothing short of spectacular. I can only imagine the sales once the AAA exclusives start to drop. Is i time to drop the Gimmick talk?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll