Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 I have a sickness...
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
I have a sickness... - May 13, 2004 20:50
So, there I sit, with Champions of Norrath still unplayed, Disgaea: HoD untouched for over six months (last check: 45 hours, and still haven' t really scratched the surface), and 90% complete on Silent Hill 3, Tenchu: WoH, and Rygar. So far this year, I have managed to play and beat Final Fantasy X-2, Ninja Gaiden, Max Payne 2, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2, Prince of Persia, and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, but I' m still behind. Furthermore, I desperately want to get Onimusha 3 and Bond: EoN, plus a few more games I need to add to my collection (The Mark of Kri, ICO, NFS: Underground, etc.).

So with all of this, what do I do? Dive back into Disgaea? Buy Onimusha 3? Start CoN? Beat any or all of those games that are just about done but not quite? Nope.

After three years of resisting the urge, I started up a new game of FF VII...and this will be my fourth time through. I always have this urge with FF Tactics as well, but after 500+ hours in FFT...well, I suppose I can put it down for a while.

I try to keep a 90% " played ' em, beat ' em" ratio in my collection (of the 90 total games I have over various platforms, about 81 of them have been beaten), but that ratio is in jeopardy because of my weakness. LOL Anybody else experience this problem?

Oh, and btw: FF VII = GREATEST RPG EVER
< Message edited by fathoms -- 5/13/2004 8:51:47 PM >
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: I have a sickness... - May 13, 2004 23:29

FF VII = GREATEST RPG EVER
I amy be inclined to agree with you on that one.

I can' t say that I share in your weakness....well, perhaps I do. I will frequently tandem play an rpg type game, usually with my brother. We each have our own file, but we will play together, so one of us (usually me) get' s left behind. So then I finish the game with him, and usually do not have the desire to go finish it off for myself. So some where out there are memory cards with half finished games.
fathoms

RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 12:59
That' s one thing I' ve never done. The only RPG I really play two-player with is the Baldurs Gate: DA games (which are insanely fun). FF, I' ve always considered to be a one-man sport.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 15:02
My problem is that I keep buying new games before beating the older ones so I have a bunch of games only partially beaten or some not even played once yet

I just can' t find the time, but I will.....oh I will
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 18:37
I usually get the new games. Think about the plus side: if there is ever a shortage of new good games you can go back and beat the older ones.
RavenShadow

RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 18:52
Doesn' t have to be a shortage of good new games
The main factor is the shortage of cash haha
immortaldanmx

RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 19:05
Yep. Especially when my parents dont give me money because " You made a " C" . That is not Acceptable" LOL.
RavenShadow

RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 19:07
My parents haven' t given me money in a long time
A C? oh no haha
4 years of university and I only had two C' s in my first year
immortaldanmx

RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 19:10
I got a C and ended up grounded until next mid term. Needless to say, no more Cs, ever.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 19:19
I' ve got a massive pile of unfinished games and far too many that I haven' t played for more than a couple hours.

I' m not quite sure how I' ve ended up in this position. Too much money? Games being cheaper than they' ve ever been? Not enough time? Probably a mixture of those three factors to be precise.

Anyhow I think a clearout shall be needed once univeristy finishes for the year.
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: I have a sickness... - May 14, 2004 20:02
I have a problem too, i get so many games and never beat them all, out of all the games i have, i only have beaten about 60% oif them. I usually play online gmaes the most, so i' m more motivated to beat the game to use the unlockables online.
HELLBENT

• Total Posts : 58
RE: I have a sickness... - May 15, 2004 13:19
You aint alone. Im curious though-for all those that have a pile of unfinished/like new games what is your age?

I distinctly remembering when I was a kid, I had all the time in the world to play games and no money. (which would signigicantly reduce this phenomenon)

But now I am a 30 old guy with a full time job MY OWN DISPOSABLE INCOME, attend night school, worksout, takes juijitsi-kickboxing classes, MARRIED, 3 YEAR OLD SON, and bills up the wazoo. (This scenario significantly increases this phenomenon) Oh yeah, you have to add my never ending love of videogames to the equation as well!!

So anyhow:

-For those of you with this " problem" how old are you?

-For those of you that do not have this " problem" how old are you?
fathoms

RE: I have a sickness... - May 16, 2004 00:48
HELLBENT: I' ll be 26 in August. I work full-time as well, as the Operations Manager for a medical communications company. The pleasant salary, coupled with the fact that I' m single, allows me to have WAY too much money to spend on games. Thankfully, in a massive effort to save for a house of my own (I currently rent an apartment with a roommate), I try to save as much as I can, and I really only buy about a game a month; maybe two, if one of them is a cheap used one. I can' t wait to own a house...by the end of this year, I should have about $15,000 put away free and clear, and after 2005 (a car payment-free year; my car will be paid off by December), my savings should be around $25,000. Renting sucks; MUST own.

I also weightlift three times per week (an old addiction that began with my uncle and father...it' s worse than nicotene or alcohol; I can' t stop if I wanted to), and I play tennis and basketball throughout the warmer spring and summer months. I still have much more time than you do, though; I' m sure of it.

Anyway, I know what you' re talking about. When we were younger, we had endless amounts of time to play through our games not just once, but again and again. On top of which, we had to wait a LOT longer for great games back then. In the 8-bit and 16-bit days, we' d be lucky to see one or two must-have games per month. Now, with all gaming platforms included, it' s more like 4-7 per month. So, more games, more money, less time.........it all makes sense.

Still, I' m proud of the fact that of the 82 games I have for PSOne, PS2, Xbox, and PC, I think 73-75 of them are completed. I just recently have been facing this problem. I' m not including old NES, SNES, and Genesis games either, but I' m SURE that almost all of those have been beaten.

To top it all off, we tend to remember great old games that we loved to death. Then we get nostalgiac, and we want to play them again. Why the hell do you think I' m back into FF VII?
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: I have a sickness... - May 16, 2004 05:57
I am with fathoms and the nostalgia thing. That' s the reason i am a third of the way through FFVII on the PC.

I am 22 and I was remeniscing, seeing as I no longer have a system of my own (grad school is expensive). THe majority of my playtime was in my summer months when all i had to do was work (man, the good old days). I miss quasi-disposable income.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll