Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PSP titles as good at the console versions?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 13, 2006 00:22
I don' t know about you guys but other than Wipeout Pure, Lumines and the recently released Street Fighter Alpha 3, i haven' t really been impressed by any other PSP games yet.

There are a couple of bigger name titles closing in fast now though and hopefully they' ll really push the envelope and try to make the loading times reasonable!

Splinter Cell: Essentials

From Russia With Love

Blade Dancer

Fight Night: Round 3

Monster Hunter Freedom

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 13, 2006 02:00
You didn' t like Ridge Racer or GTA:LCS? I think those games were great. Twisted Metal Head-On is worthy its name. Virtua Tennis world Tour is great simply because it' s Virtua Tennis. There are more titles I like as much as their consoles counterparts but they didn' t get a 10/10 average in their reviews so they don' t count.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 13, 2006 03:33
Monster Hunter Portable is one of the most impressive looking PSP games I' ve ever played. The overall graphics (character models & animations) are REALLY good and the sounds are equally as impressive.. From the pics I' ve seen of Monster Hunter 2 for the PS2, Monster Hunter Portable looks pretty much identical in the graphics department, but the only way to tell for sure would be to see the game in action..

Street Fighter Zero 3/Alpha 3 is also pretty impressive. The load times were BLAZING fast. I honest can' t imagine another current-gen disc based system loading the game any faster. But that' s from playing the import version, who knows maybe Capcom decided to increase the load times in the U.S. version just to screw with yall.

I' m no Grand Theft Auto fan but Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories is considered by many to be graphically superior to Grand Theft Auto 3 for the PS2, with quicker loads, less draw-in, smoother framerates, etc.

Gradius Portable is a very nice collection, and with the exception of Gradius Gaiden' s missing 2-player co-op mode, the games are carbon copies of the stuff from Gradius Deluxe Pack, Gradius III & IV, and Gradius Gaiden.

I was watching one of GameSpot' s video reviews a while back and the reviewer, Alex, basically said that NFL street looked pretty damn close to the console version and played really well as well.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 12 Feb 06 20:05:26 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 13, 2006 19:10
PSP=PS2?

that' s Sony' s words.For the most part the experience is nearly PS2 , but the visuals are not at that level (I don' t think that' s cause of the CPU lock).

No matter how you look at it - and while many including myself, think that DS has great games and many of them, noone can deny that PSP has some gems as well.

RR,Wipeout,Virtua Tenis,SFA3,Lumines,SSX and more ( I hate GTA )

What I think the really cool thing about it ,is it' s homebrew scene plus capabilities beyond gaming.

What I think sux - is it' s imitation oh home system that doesn' t work well " on the go" .

That' s why I' m a DS kind of gamer :)
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 13 Feb 06 11:14:05 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 13, 2006 20:23
I' m finally running a rudimentary snes emu on my PSP and I' ve been playing it more than ever due to the original final fantasies / mario sf2 etc..etc.. than any of my psp games.

But the problem isn' t technical - it' s a perception thing with the PSP. The hardware is fantastic. BUT.

Most people want fun innovative, almost light kind of games on the go. If your a heavy pc / console gamer at home you will get all the FPS / Arcade / etc.. action you want. When your on the go you want something different and as the majority of psp owners have another main console as well you kind of get the feeling that the titles are merely being regurgitated rather than redeveloped, even if the opposite is true.

GTA LCS is a pretty astounding achievement for such a small console, it certainly shows its potential in terms of draw distance etc.. Ok the game may not be everybodies cup of tea. But now no-one has an excuse not to buy it due to the Elaoder savegame homebrew connection!

I was feeling a bit down over the console as despite great features and some current games. There is no killer app that everyone is talking of as a must have. yet.. though there are some great games comming up for it.

Once the gps is out for it this year, there will be nothing it cant do. ut it' s time for the truly innovative games methinketh...
ginjirou

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 13, 2006 23:37
Where can I get this SNES emu you' re talking about?
Nitro

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 00:11
Links to sites where you can download that kind of thing can' t be posted on here.

Just google ' Snes9x Tyl' or check your messages for what i' ve sent you.
ginjirou

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 02:21
Oh, I thought emulators were legal... ???
Thanks for the info anyway .
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 13 Feb 06 18:22:51 >
Nitro

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 02:25
The specifics around the legality of such things is blurry.

It' s better not to post stuff like links though.

And you' re welcome!
]GaNgStA[

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 03:08
Emu' s are legal.

check www.PSP-hack.com or something like that

There' s nothing illegal in homebrew software and you can download it and play it anytime you want - you can even downgrade your PSP to 1,50 - it' s legal.

Illegal things are : playing roms on those emu' s and games ripped from umd
Nitro

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 03:19
Actually, the legality surround the by-passing of the software' s/consoles security.

It' s said that emu' s are legal and that you can own a single backup copy (downloaded or whatever) of a geme that you own.

The reason i said not to post links is because i' m pretty sure Adam already asked people not to in another thread.
]GaNgStA[

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 06:10
In that case ...

Listen do the Magic Dragon boys and girls. :)
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 14, 2006 06:46
emulation is completely legal as long as you have a copy of said emulator game. i have my entire Snes collection on backup. now emulating a UMD i' m almost positive, is illegal. and correct me if i' m wrong. but isn' t there something that says you can' t pop the little plastic cases on the UMDs? not owning a psp, i don' t keep up with these sort of things,

so bringing the forum back on track. i' m hoping that " My My Katamari" will be as good as it' s console predecessors. because if there' s one thing i hate more than anything, it' s a good franchise gone bad. Cough-Crashbandicoot-Cough Cough-Spyrothedragon-Cough, it' s a shame.
]GaNgStA[

RE: PSP titles as good at the console versions? - Feb 15, 2006 05:00
Now that' s one of those thinks I can' t undesrstand - I' ve been hearing how katamari rules so I got WE LOVE KATAMARI and played it fo quite some time , and I just don' t find it to be a fun experience.

I don' t get it what' s all the fuss about seriously everyone loves this game and I just can' t - it is impossible for me to enjoy it.

I don' t get it :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message