Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My GOD! When will they learn?!? *spoilers*
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
My GOD! When will they learn?!? *spoilers* - Apr 07, 2003 16:17
Okay, so I’m playing Zelda: Wind Waker, right? It’s an awesome game. The sea searching gets real old real fast. And I still don’t think it’s better than Ocarina of Time. But overall Wind Waker is an awesome game.

So I’m almost at the end, right? Just collected the eight pieces of the Triforce Shards. Ready to head back to Hyrule and face big bad Ganon himself. Worked my happy ass up the little trail to Ganon’s castle, walked inside, looked around, and expected this HUGE dungeon to unfold before me.

First door I enter and what do I realize?

THAT THEY’RE MAKING ME RE-FIGHT THE PHUCKING OLD BOSSES!!! :mad:

I don’t know about you cats, but I am SO tired of working my way through an awesome and original game only to see the developers throw in the same lame concept at the end. I saw that first boss, turned off the game, and told myself I’ll come back to it later.

Every Mega Man game I’ve played has done the exact same thing (really can’t remember if Ocarina did it to). And frankly, I think it’s dumb now. When I blow 20, 30, 40 hours on a single game, I want the final boss to feel like an award. I want something big, over-the-top and something that’s going to do the game justice. After all, Wind Waker has some very well thought out dungeons.

So I expected Ganon to be the same. That they were going to throw at me when of their *best* dungeons, look at me, laugh, and tell me to try my best. But making me re-fight all the old bosses just feels – cheap. Yes, that’s the word I’m looking for. Re-fighting the old bosses is just cheap.

The *quest* to Ganon is what I love. I love the challenges of getting there. I love surpassing those challenges. I love going through the dungeons. But guess what? Beating up on the old bosses I’ve already beaten (and beaten quite easily), ISN’T a challenge. It’s no longer part of the quest. It’s not even new.

In many ways I think it cheapens Ganon, because the quest to Ganon is over. Now I feel that the old bosses are just a sad way to lengthen the game. Once I get to Ganon’s castle I want a continuation of this quest, this quest to find and defeat *new* challenges. But if that quest turns into *old and defeated* foes, I can’t see it as part of the quest. More like, *just in the way.*

That’s why I say it’s cheap. Because once I do get to Ganon, I’m not going to care as much to fight him. I’m so tired by all the previous losers that Ganon just becomes an obstacle to the end credits and not the, “OMG!!! It’s GANON!!!1!111!” feeling that I hoped to have.

I’ve sat through the “Re-Fight The Boss” games before, and I so wish developers would come up with something beyond this tired concept.

/Rant

P.S. I wrote this BEFORE going through Ganon’s entire dungeon, so if the game flips it up on me, I don’t know. So calm down if I’m wrong and say your flames politely.

But honestly, after playing Wind Waker, I think I already know what’s getting Game of The Year. I can’t think of one single release to even hope to challenge it. Perhaps Fable…. if it ever comes out.

The One, The only One
- The Lotus One
otaku

• Total Posts : 195
RE: My GOD! When will they learn?!? *spoilers* - Apr 12, 2003 22:22
When I finished the game in December there are three things I wont forget.

1) The 1st time you enter Hydrule Castle - and everything that happends untill you leave it!

2) The Broken " Hero Of Time" Statue

3) The final boss!

Ok - I finished it last year - but now its out in English I have to say this is probably the Best Game of the Year! (IMHO anyway!)

I havent even taken the seal off my free Prime from the M.Prime event, maybe I should sell it?
< Message edited by otaku -- 4/21/2003 11:19:04 AM >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message