Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far??
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 11, 2006 23:47
Does anyone else think the gameplay that we' ve seen so far from Gears of War looks really boring?? I was watching the conference gameplay vid just now:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/3708

Well I was hoping Gears would be the first intelligent game for 360 (bar oblivion..), but so far it just looks like another run and gun shooter. They say it' s more ' stop and pop' , but really what' s the difference? No change of pace, just run to the next concrete barricade and shoot. It all feels disjointed, your shots feel unsatisfying from any range but point blank, and the main character seems to get shot a lot and just go ' ow' ! All this they seem to want to make up for with non-stop loud noises and explosions, but that just numbs the brain after a while..

The conrete barriers seem to be the main aspect of the gameplay. They' re all over this demo and they were in the last gameplay demo I saw (the one at the gas station at night). It seems the only thing you have to do as a player in Gears is run to one, hide behind it, pop up and shoot until enemies are dead, go to next area and repeat steps 1-4. It almost feels like playing Time Crisis, only with a joypad instead of a light gun (and no timer!).

I mean the official trailers have all looked so cool so far, which makes me think this is going to be one of those games with amazing art direction, but where you have to trudge through mundane gameplay just to get to see the next cutscene and story.

I dunno about anyone else, but atm I' m hugely upset! [:' (]
< Message edited by choupolo -- 11 May 06 16:26:23 >
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 00:06
The gameplay does look a bit too simplistic, but could be quite fun.

At least the visual style has improved since the builds in the past. Now it' s not so much of another Unreal 3 shiney engine game. However I find it all feels a bit too lifeless and generic for me.

However I do think the game would benefit from some faster paced section rather than the stop start nature of things. We' ve already got Ghost Recon and Call Of Duty for that. Maybe they' ll be more variety in the final game.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 11 May 06 16:08:32 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 01:47
Gears of War is the best game at E3 that I' ve seen period. Graphically the best. Gameplay looked great (behind closed doors... actual play test). It' s quite possibly the best game I' ve ever seen. Oh, and they gave me a Gears of War face plate which is my favorite thing I' ve gotten so far. It even tops the free MP3 player I got at the Nokia party.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 01:48
isnt it having framerate issues? i wateched a few videos beofre and it wasnt running so fast.
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 02:05
I have seen plenty of games that look better designed graphically and I thought
Gears was going to play better than what they have shown.

I would say not the best game of the show by far But maybe it plays better than it
looks it does.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 02:24
I didn' t think it was boring but I was a bit worried about it being compared to call of duty and ghost recon but I think it should still hold ground when it' s finished.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 02:36

Gears of War is the best game at E3 that I' ve seen period. Graphically the best

U havent seen MGS4, Lost planet and THE best looking graphics of any game so far: the Crysis, Crysis Really shows up the lot where as graphics and physics are concerned.

Gears of war did look really boring TBH, and obviously had framerate problems (and it runs only 30fps, whereas Lost planet runs 60fps)..

I think the best looking 360 game is Lost planet, that looks awesome in every department.

< Message edited by f3hunter -- 11 May 06 18:47:55 >
C*Dub

• Total Posts : 86
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 02:47
I am looking forward to it and I thought it had a good showing at e3, not the best but in no means boring. I do think along with Kyo.k that it would be nice to see it more fast paced rather than stop and cover but thats just my preference. I am hoping the plot is as good as I am hoping it will be.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 02:56
I liked the Gears of war video the gamplay looked reall cool i think if gears of war can pull off killzone Gameplay then hell gears of war would be hell of a game. but i wanna see that run up type of game play that would be cool i guess well see huh
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 03:10
Gears of wars gameplay is stay behind cover and shot,i did the same thing in GRAW and loved it.

To put a chainsaw into a locust will just make me cry :)

So to answere you,i dont agree at all,i and all other xbox360 owner think it look amazing.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 03:14
I think it looks great!

Im feeling agressive, better go!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 03:15
it' s gameplay is shooting enemies so it may look bad , but if it' s fun it' ll rock

The level we saw was all so grey and boring , but among other levels it won' t feel like that at all
choupolo

RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 04:16
Thanks for the replies. Maybe it' s just me then. It' s possibly just not my type of game, and if tonnes of people enjoy it, then that' s fair enough.

I just mean GoW is being hyped to be 360s game of the year by many, and it does have so much potential (which is why i' m upset about it). But I thought the first thing to go in the next-gen would be ' gameplay corridors' where you just duck and shoot, run, duck and shoot over and over again, with no change of pace.

Tbh, I thought GRAWs and CoDs single player gameplay suffered the exact same drawbacks, and I didn' t really enjoy those games that much either (GRAW multiplayer was mad fun though!). There have been loads of shooters in the past that have just been about shooting people and simple objectives, but nonetheless have still been fun. I think what they did right that Gears looks to do wrong here though, is create the illusion of freedom, with ' open' level design and choices of action.

Maybe the full game will be more varied like you guys said. I just got worried when I saw two parts of the game with exactly the same action going on.

I' ve got no problems with the visuals however. The framerate is dodgy atm, but the art direction is inspired, and the whole premise/story is interesting. It' s just a shame the gameplay isn' t ' geared' (sry) to let you explore it all and take it all in.

Gamespy seemed to like it though, and by the sounds of it the multiplayer is more fun at least.

http://uk.xbox.gamespy.com/xbox-360/gears-of-war/707559p1.aspx
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 05:37
Gears of war is not about next-gen gameplay,it looks more like a visual orgasm!!!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 21:19
Dodgy framerate?!

Maybe that has something to do with the bad quality video' s you' re watching. It' s steady and over 30 at all times. This game is gonna kick soime serious ass!

choupolo

RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 22:27
I suppose it could be the video, you' re right. I d/led the ' hi-res' one from gamevideos. It' s smooth most of the time, but just skips in a couple of places when going into new areas.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Gears of War gameplay looks ultra-boring so far?? - May 12, 2006 22:34
But how is the video encoded?! It might not be synched properly, especially if it' s a cam.

I' ll check the video out for myself!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message