Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ringu
Spacepiston

• Total Posts : 164
Ringu - Feb 14, 2004 04:29
I decided to rent " Ringu" in place of " The Ring" when I finally decided to watch a scary movie alone in the dark. In case you dont know, " Ringu" is the orginal 1998 Japanese release of what is better known as the Hollywood remake " The Ring" .

Well I heard that the original was still the best so it seemed the logical choice. The dvd is in Japanese with English subtitles. No extras. Notin.

I have always been fascinated with Japanese culture so this was more enjoyable for me then perhaps it would be for people who dont like foreign flicks.

Anyway, on to the movie:

I found it very entertaining. The first 10-20 minutes definitely made me uneasy. The meat and potatoes of the movie was good with few scares, followed up with some good scares right towards the end. The story itself is actually pretty interesting with a neat little twist in the end. Overall the quality of the movie was very high, with a good picture and sound. The acting was convincing enough and the story was detailed. Perhaps there were a few holes in the plot here and there..but compared to alot of movies it holds its own.

I would not buy this movie but I would recommend it to anyone as a good renter. I dont know how much better or maybe worse then The Ring this movie is having not seen the Ring, I guess you will have to figure that out for yourself.
momo

• Total Posts : 14
RE: Ringu - Feb 16, 2004 20:33
i really like the ring trilogy (yes theres more!)
the second movie is slightly different but follows the same path pretty much, it has a bit more humour, most people dont notice it though.

the american version is very long, and actually steals some of the japanese sequel which is confusing- the americans plan to have a sequel too.
it is well directed though, its just too slow for an american movie.
Preacher

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Ringu - Mar 23, 2004 20:13
Ringu 1 is fantastic. Ringu 2 is as good if not better. Ring 0, whilst interesting, isn' t a horror movie per se, rather a prequel charting the formative years of Sadako.

The Spiral, which is actually the true sequel to the original Ringu, came out at the same time but faired poorly at Japanese cinema' s and gave way to Ringu director Hideo Nakata' s sequel.

As for the American remakes, well....not a fan to be honest.
CapnCrunch311

• Total Posts : 285
RE: Ringu - Mar 24, 2004 00:47
I saw The Ring before Ringu so when I watched it (Ringu) I got kind of bored because the remake is so much like the original. If I saw Ringu first I' d of probably liked it more. I had no clue about sequels (to the Japanese version) so maybe I' ll check them out sometime (if I can find them... damn you Canada!!! ).
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Ringu - Mar 24, 2004 14:54
The Ring was a pretty good movie. Kinda twisted and kept an erie feeling the whole way through. The ending kinda bugged me though. The kid said that that his mom shouldn' t have let her out. Why? Is she going to attack people that watch the movie? It' s not like she wasn' t tormenting people anyway while she was down in that well. The ending just didn' t make much sense but whatever.
jars

• Total Posts : 148
RE: Ringu - Mar 27, 2004 01:42
In tradition of ancient Japanese legends.. it' s her anger and torment while she was in the well that continues on in the tape.

Other than that, the main message of the movie is, " promote piracy!"
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Ringu - Mar 27, 2004 03:23
I understand that her anger and torment is what caused the tape, but what did the kid mean when he was freaking out about releasing the girl from the well. It' s not like she wasn' t killing people even when she was trapped in there.
Star Tekkie

• Total Posts : 97
RE: Ringu - Mar 30, 2004 16:45
perhaps he figured she' d kill more people if released from the well..

I' ve seen the Ring, haven' t watched Ringu.. don' t know if I could bring myself to do so.
Watching the Ring once is more than enough, lol the occassional movie will freak me out, I guess that does make it a good thriller movie.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Ringu - Apr 08, 2004 00:20
I saw the ring and thought it was ok. Not as scary as I expected.
I want to see Ringu since that does look scarier.
I did not know that there were sequels to Ringu. What are they called (ringu 2 and 3)?
RavenShadow

RE: Ringu - Apr 09, 2004 19:54
I will be watching Ringu tonight along with The Amityville Horror
Also might be watching a couple other horror movies.
I' ll let you know what I thought of them after I see them
RavenShadow

RE: Ringu - Apr 10, 2004 05:45
Ended up not watching Ringu
Watched cold creek manor, Amityville horror and the rundown
Amityville was lame, I was told it was the scariest movie ever. So not true it wasn' t scary at all.
cold Creek Manor was a suspense/thriller, not bad, slow and boring though
The rundown was good. Lots of good action scenes and some comedy (and who doesn' t love Christopher Walkin haha)
< Message edited by RavenShadow -- 4/10/2004 5:47:41 AM >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message