Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Revolution - The Speculation
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Revolution - The Speculation - Dec 31, 2005 16:33
Nintendo guru Shigeru Miyamoto says more secrets of the next-gen system will be unveiled next year, in reference to the controller. All has not been told, we know that much, but what are they planning?

What would be the best way to play Metroid Prime 3 using the Revolutions controller, knowing that ' other devices' will be able to connect to it akin to the analogue stick in the nunchuku combination. Looking back at one of Nintendo' s less than succesful attempts at innovation, the Virtual Boy, i wouldn' t be surprised to see them put out some kind of visor so we can see what Samus sees, instead of using a tv. The option to play like that would add tons more atmosphere to games!

Now i was surprised to see Nintendo opting out of making the Revolution HD complient, it still doesn' t seem to make much sense. If the Revolution is to be 2x as powerful as the Gamecube, at least, then surely the games would benefit from being displayable in hi-def. They must have a reason.

Some of the gaming worlds biggest developers have expressed a lot of interest and confidence in Nintendo' s latest machine so anyone ruling the Revolution out of their next gen gaming purchases are just daft. But i really want to know what people think could be coming. This is by far the most coy they have ever been regarding a new console, we know they' re hiding something, but what could it be?
< Message edited by Adam Doree -- 3 Jan 06 12:16:51 >
Nitro

RE: Revolution - The Speculation - Dec 31, 2005 18:54
Ah, here' s what i' m referring to, quotes by the men themselves ...

“I think maybe if I could do anything, I would make it so you don’t have to sit in front of a TV and play. If you could have a machine that you just plugged in and played inside a virtual world that - would be just great.” (Shigeru Miyamoto)

and...

“It’s convenient to make games that are played on TVs,” he said. “But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn’t the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I’ve always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that.” (Shigeru Miyamoto)

and from Nintendo President Satoru Iwata when questioned about Revolition...

“We invented the current way a console is played - in front of a television and holding a controller - but maybe that image will change.” (Satoru Iwata)

Check out - http://www.playbomb.com/2005/11/02/20/miyamoto-hints-virtual-gaming-future/ for the full article.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 01, 2006 15:57

But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn’t the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I’ve always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room

Hey I had no idea Shigeru was into huge plasma screens that much :)
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 02, 2006 01:20
Are we in for real VR gaming? Of course not. It' s way too early to be talking about completely immersive VR that' s actually cheap, user friendly and doesn' t take up huge amounts of room.

What Miyamoto is talking about is his life-long goal, it will come in little steps over the next few decades, not all at once with the revolution. Personally the idea of wearing a samus helmet/visor while playing a game seems a little stupid to me. I don' t really want to look like an idiot when I play my games. They' d have to integrate a HUD into a pair of rather sleek, small sunglasses in order for me to wear them willingly - and that' s probably not going to happen soon.

The Revolution will change some aspects of gaming but don' t expect them to be completely earth shattering.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 02, 2006 02:57
Well I' m pretty sure it will have a much bigger impact on gaming than that.
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 2 Jan 06 11:13:57 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 02, 2006 10:33
Sony has patented technology that can deliver virtual reality but they haven' t started development yet, if they ever will. It' s pretty old news, about a year or so but it' s still intreresting. Maybe PS4 or PS5 will use this technology to some extent.
But I fear such technology will be quite expensive at least the nearest 10 years or so. But then, Sony clearly shows with the PS3 that they aren' t afraid if making expensive products.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 2 Jan 06 18:34:41 >
Nitro

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 02, 2006 17:17

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Sony has patented technology that can deliver virtual reality but they haven' t started development yet, if they ever will. It' s pretty old news, about a year or so but it' s still intreresting. Maybe PS4 or PS5 will use this technology to some extent.
But I fear such technology will be quite expensive at least the nearest 10 years or so. But then, Sony clearly shows with the PS3 that they aren' t afraid if making expensive products.

Actually Sony patented a kind of VR tech that stimulates your senses (taste, sight etc). That was WAAAAAAY back in 2003.

It doesn' t have to be PROPER VR though, just a visor of some sort. VR tech is supprisingly affordable now and Nintendo tried something similar with the Virtual Boy years ago. It could definatley be done.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 02, 2006 23:14
There' s a huge difference in VR being done, and VR being successful. The Virtual boy is not a good example of successful VR.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 02, 2006 23:25
VR is vague
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 03, 2006 06:02
If the Rev actually DID use VR technology then we' d experience very obvious problems, anyway. One being the fact that it will be more powerful than the Virtual Boy. If Vitual Boy caused so many mental problems(huge headaches, etc.) just imagine what the Rev could do!

Also, if it did use some kind of visor then it would be dangerous to play in an unsafe environment: ie. in a small room. These are fully 3D worlds we' re talking about here people!

It will need time, but perhaps Ninty could find a way around these problems.
Nitro

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 03, 2006 07:28

ORIGINAL: Marink

If the Rev actually DID use VR technology then we' d experience very obvious problems, anyway. One being the fact that it will be more powerful than the Virtual Boy. If Vitual Boy caused so many mental problems(huge headaches, etc.) just imagine what the Rev could do!

Also, if it did use some kind of visor then it would be dangerous to play in an unsafe environment: ie. in a small room. These are fully 3D worlds we' re talking about here people!

It will need time, but perhaps Ninty could find a way around these problems.

Virtual Boy was years ago now and VR has advanced in leaps and bounds. I agree that it ' could' cause minor problems, but probably nothing more than what listening to your iPod for a couple of hours would do. I definately thing it' s a possibility.

What i don' t get is why your bedroom etc... would become an ' unsafe environment' , i mean we' re not talking holodeck type stuff here. A visor used in conjunction with the ' nunchucku' configuration of the Rev controller would suffice. You would have to move anything but your hands. Unless i missinterpretted (spelling*) what you were saying...

I think it' s something only Nintendo could do properly though, i would be sceptical if something like that was announced by say Sony or Microsoft. But Nintendo' s May announcement will have to be as ' shocking' (exciting) as the controller one. It' s obviously going to be something BIG, and i' m praying for VR. If done right, it could change everything game related. But perhaps it IS too much to hope for...

What does everyone else ' expect' them to announce?!
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 03, 2006 11:12

What i don' t get is why your bedroom etc... would become an ' unsafe environment' , i mean we' re not talking holodeck type stuff here. A visor used in conjunction with the ' nunchucku' configuration of the Rev controller would suffice.

Oh never mind. It' s just, what I envisioned is that in something like Metroid Prime 3, for instance, Samus' movement could be controlled by your own movement and that her arm cannon could be used by the controller. Although, to do that people would have to jump all around their room or whatever.
ginjirou

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 04, 2006 05:53
VR is overestimated. But if it could work somewhere it would be in the arcades. There you could build a big room just for this purpose.
But I would prefer VR the Matrix way. Just sit in a futuristic chair and after a couple of minutes you go like " I know kung fu"
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 04, 2006 06:28
...woudl' t you be worried about shoving a HUGE jack into your head?...
ginjirou

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 04, 2006 11:23
I guess that would be a downside but it still beats going to the dentist.....
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 04, 2006 15:48
I don' t think Nintendo are going to announce something like VR! too early still and I don' t think the gaming community is ready for it yet. It would be cool tho to have jut a visor instead of the TV. That would be really cool, and it would be the first step. Majikdra6on, u said u don' t expect MS or Sony to do soemthing like a VR. Actually, I know Nintendo has always progressed, but I wouldn' t be too surprised if in the coming years, MS or Sony does soemthing like that, I mean they have deep pockets, especially MS. Time will tell...
Nitro

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 05, 2006 06:39

ORIGINAL: KiLLeR

I don' t think Nintendo are going to announce something like VR! too early still and I don' t think the gaming community is ready for it yet. It would be cool tho to have jut a visor instead of the TV. That would be really cool, and it would be the first step. Majikdra6on, u said u don' t expect MS or Sony to do soemthing like a VR. Actually, I know Nintendo has always progressed, but I wouldn' t be too surprised if in the coming years, MS or Sony does soemthing like that, I mean they have deep pockets, especially MS. Time will tell...

Yeah, with them being the biggest corporate entity on the planet. I see your point. AND i definately like the idea of just the visor instead of fully immersive VR, i think you' re right saying that it would be the first step. But do you think they would? Or could?
]GaNgStA[

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 06, 2006 12:51
I think Nintendo should partner with Morpheus or at least Trinity since Neo is such a MS lover.
kutaragi tried it once with PS2 but I guess it didn' t work out after all :)
Nitro

RE: Revolution - The Speculation...ARE WE IN FOR REAL VR GAMING??? - Jan 06, 2006 14:19
Err...

OK!

The Matrix ruled buit it' s sequels sucked ass!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll