Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 CELL boosted from 3.2GHz to 6GHz
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
CELL boosted from 3.2GHz to 6GHz - Jan 07, 2007 10:51
Just as i was leaving for Canada, KK came out with another believed-to-be nonsense rambling about Sony' s plans for PS3 upgradability citing " a standard AV component sized box with a more powerful power supply unit, anti-shake insulator, twice the main memory, and 2x HDMI to split sound and video output." as a possibility.

LINK

He' s mentioned it before, talking about how PS3 is a computer and could potentially be upgradeable like a PC. It' s an interesting prospect but it could have an undesirable impact if core hardware components in peoples machines were different. It' d mean that games would - like PC games, have to be scalable. " Oh, you want better textures?! Well then you need more RAM..." and ' minimum system requirements' could be a reality for games later in the consoles life. Y' know, kinda like Nintendo did with N64 and the memory expansion pak.

Now Sony have developed a 6GHz version of CELL and there is a possibility that it could be used in PS3. The fact that it uses a 65nm solution instead of 90nm is interesting as both PS3 and 360 currently use 90nm and Microsoft will be switching to 65nm later this year as a way to address heat issues.

LINK

Now this wouldn' t happen any time soon but if PS3 gets a 6GHz chip and possibly more RAM, or at least somehow have it' s RAM allocated better (which would cause further problems for developers as separate instruction sets would be needed) it would have serious advantages over Xbox 360' s currently superior actual hardware performance.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 7 Jan 07 2:52:36 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message