Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 $500 bundle lacking features.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 16:48
hello all haven' t been here in a while. I have some news about the PS3 which is not good and makes me not want to get one even worse. read this

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149552.aspx

E3 06: PS3 specs tweaked, 20GB version stripped down
Features on Sony' s console vastly different than last year; system now has one Ethernet port, less HDMI ports, four USB ports, no controller vibration.
By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted May 8, 2006 8:29 pm PT
When Sony announced the PlayStation 3 at last year' s E3, one of the most impressive parts of the machine was its specs. The console was a gearhead' s dream with three Ethernet parts, two HDMI ports, six USB ports, and a host of other features. Many wondered how Sony could pack so much into a sleek box and still price the system competitively.

How things have changed in a year.

According to the latest specifications released by Sony, the PS3 now only comes with one Ethernet port and four USB ports. Also, the lack of a second HDMI port means that the dual-screen setup running 1080p function that was shown off last year is no longer a possibility.

The PlayStation 3 will come in two configurations, one will have a 20GB hard drive and the other will have a 60GB hard drive. However, losing 40GB isn' t the only downgrade with the 20GB version. The 20GB version, priced at $499, will not have Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash inputs, Wi-Fi capabilities, or any HDMI output.

The new motion-sensitive controller, included standard in both the 20GB and 60GB models, will lack a feature that was present in the PlayStation 2' s DualShock 2 controller--vibration. Citing the new " six-degree," a statement from Sony says " vibration itself interferes with information detected by the sensor."

The removal of vibration could also have something to do with the lawsuit won by Immersion Technologies, which sued Sony for copyright infringement based on the rumble feature in PlayStation controllers. Microsoft faced a similar suit, but settled out of court.

How lame is that? which means after much ciritizism Sony gave MS for having 2 consoles a pro and a core they are doing the same thing after stating they won' t and also wouldn' t do a world launch.

I already have a HD-DVD player and a Xbox 360 and buying a Wii sorry sony.

They need to be last and be humbled and forced to rethink things. Maybe hire some actual creative peopel who think of new things and not just copy everyone else.

sorry all you sony fans i just don' t like how sony is run and i have had bad experiences with sony crap.

Plus paying $600 for a sony product at launch is rediculous seeing how they always have problems.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 17:46
The thing that gets me with them though is how they ' ' offer two' ' options but it' s so clear as to which they are forcing you to get for one thing will the 20gb even have enough space to play blu ray games second no memory sticks come with it along with other minor things.
They claimed they stripped down the machine and took some stuff out so therefore why is that not reflected in the price (imo). Sony is loosing face and the mask' s are falling, if I want a motion sensing controller i' ll get the wii, I already have an online service (and triggers) that does it' s job and very well at that so no need for another the only thing that seem to be different from their competitors in this generation is ' ' blu-ray' ' which I plan on buying a hd-dvd player anyway...so they really have nothing I wan' t.

Another thing to add quite funny how they even copied microsoft' s guide button in the middle of the controller (even that).
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 9 May 06 10:40:25 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 18:54
*Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud*

That is the sound of nails being hammered in!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 19:07
Yeah make sure those nails get stuck real good!
This has got to be a joke. No controller vibration and they actually made a motion-sensitive controller. Unbelievable.
The $499 version seems very stripped down so to me the official PS3 price is the more expensive one. Whatever that was ($599?) but it' s more than what I' m willing to pay.
I' ll wait for the price drops but the question is if the PS3 will last that long.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 9 May 06 11:15:13 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 19:28
Ginjirou for us Swedes i looked at the euro price and made it into swedish,basically the cheapest will cost us 5000 kronor,while the expensive one will cost 5700 kronor.
Ofc then we even havnt included our social wessel gov heavy taxes that is the worlds highest,or atleast amongs...

could be over 6000 kronor...
Now that is not fun when the premium cost 3700 here in sweden,and in some places 3500 kronor.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 19:32
Holly mother of god! that means it will be over 5000kr here in Denmark too, thats just fucked up!
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 19:34
But that is the european price,one euro is worth 9.3 svenska kronor,while one dollar is worth 7.7 svenska kronor.
ginjirou

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 19:46
6000 kronor or more? Haha! What kind of stupid moron would pay that much?
I' m personally going to beat the crap out of every single person who buys the PS3 at launch!
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 19:52
I would assume that the shops would stay at 5000-5500 kronor cause noone will buy othwersie.

I will wait on look on the pricing...
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 20:10
Another nteresting thing is how come they didn' t show devil may cry and motor storm but instead a looooongggggg video of Gt-hd?. Anyway I think they' ve lost it and completely foucsed onthe blu ray format than anything else how willing are people going to be to purchase a gaming machine that you can watch hd movies on now and again, if you retained the gaming components it shouldn' t be that price and blu-ray is going to sit dormant for a while because no one I know is that fanatic about watching movies in hd, or games being made for it. And the cheaper version I think is another rip off because the only thing it' s useful for straight out of the box is playing movies (imo). Anyway i' ll leave them to it.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 09, 2006 22:22
hahaha! can i watch?

And what about having triggers with actuall feel like the saturn / dc / xboxes surely if they were going to rip of a feature they would have done that at least?

I hate driving games on dualshock you cant decellerate say by 10% or 20% effectively, its all of nothing... yuk...

I want som einnovation with the ps3 please! oh, am i too late?
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 9 May 06 14:24:02 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 01:03
Here is my prediction the PS3 wil sell ok because of the hard core sony fanboys at first but the average joe will mostly likely not want to pay that much and just get a 360 and a Wii so in the US Nintendo and MS will take the fight for the lead and possibly european markets it may go back and fourth and be close. Japan is a different story Sony has owned Japan for so long with the PS1 and PS2 i am hope sites do new polls to see how Sony fairs now. Most likely Nintendo will steal the market in japan seeing how they don' t care about the 360 all that much.

I work at best buy and have seen how cheap people are and there is no way people will pay $600 and buy games and accessories.

I think the 3rd party companies will see the response from viewers and could switch to the 360 and wii.
ginjirou

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 01:06

ORIGINAL: Phoenixxx1974

I work at best buy and have seen how cheap people are and there is no way people will pay $600 and buy games and accessories.

If you' re a cheap bastard that work in a cheap store, you get cheap customers
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 01:12
i' m far from being a cheap bastard i buy way to omuch shit to be cheap like a HD-DVD player for $500, a 71" 1080P samsung DLP HDTV on discount for $3800, and cables that cost $100-200 each. Not to mention spending tons on movies and games.

I like best buy it' s a cool store and one of the better jobs i have had :-)
if you have worked fast food you know what i mean. I get to work with games and tell and talk to customers and friends about games which is what know and like
:-)
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 11:06
20 GB version would be about $782, plus duties and some rounding off, I estimate about $800 at least for the 20 GB bundle =/ And bloody hell! No memory stick!? No vibration?! What century are we living in here!?

60 GB, I estimate to go well close to a thousand, prolly at magic number $999 if they want to do a mega bundle to include a free game or something =/ But heck, it' ll take more than that to get people to fork out a thousand!

This is news to me, so the PS3 basically is ripping off features from the 360 and the Wii, and in some ways, totally being worse because of they mesh it up.

Motion-sensor controller means we can' t get vibration Is Sony trying to chew into whatever potentially ' exclusive' games for the Wii that Nintendo could get with its controller, or are they just trying to give a big 1-up to Nintendo over there? Same thing with that guide button, though I' d love to see how they' re going to do this. Did they demonstrate it? If not, imagine freeze-ups in mid games when you press it...I doubt the PS3' s capability of handling a feature like that because it' s so obvious a hastily created copy of the 360' s feature, which has been in development from the beginning!

What else, what else...usinga marketing strategy exactly like the 360s, except at least even in the stripped down version, the 360 gives you what you paid for, and most of the extra stuff given in the Premium package aren' t even essential but very nice MS markets it just right to both those on a budget, and those who want to have an expensive but chocked full bundle.

Sucks than, that Sony reduces specs on the machine in general [:' (] With a stripped down version at no bargain price

Makes you wonder, is Sony scared of taking a great loss on this? How exactly are they going to ' sneak in' the Blu-Ray into households when I have to pay $800 bucks for the ' cheap one' in the first place ? Blu-Ray discs would run up to, what, $90 (in Singapore dollars btw) a piece?

I' m not sure, I think I' m ranting; but I never thought that Sony was such a knock-off.

I was never much of a Sony supporter, but I always thought they had good strategies, I gave them that. But the PS3 makes me rethink it =/
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 11:12
guys if you don' t want to pay the extra cost from your country why not import one of ours? the PS3 is suposed to be region free unless Sony lied about that too and just used it to try and give it more hype. They better keep that function is people are going to pay that high of a price. But even ours is $600 for the pro-like one.
vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 11:17
I' m not a cheap customer. Far from it. However, I know when I' m getting pwned for my money. I' ll wait.

PS3 fanboys are loyal only to Sony, therefore it is conclusive that they have saved money in their accounts solely for this console. Need I say more?

Ugh. I want one for the RPGs. I need my RPG fixes. What pure, unadulterated trash. That is a despicable move by Sony. My respect for that company is going down the drain with the politicians. If I ever do buy that console, it is because the RPGs compell me. In other words - definately not at launch, hell no! Maybe not even within a year.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 11:21
here here vdig that is my only reason why i bought a PS1 and PS2 was for final fantasy 7 and Fantasy X then got onto Kingdom hearts and the ratchet and clank series. BUt i totally aggree with you for me RPGs are my main reason to buy one.

I long for the return of thr SNES days when we had so many good RPGs to choose from. I don' t care for FPS and sports which are the 2 biggest and seems to me the only genre' s the xbox cares about and the 2 biggest genre' s in the US i am more geared the japanese taste in games. I like Puzzles, platformers, and RPGs.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 11:28
Agreed, I only got the Playstation because of the library of games, and then, it was only because of Final Fantasy. And not much else =/

I would' ve aimed for the Nintendo 64 if it wasn' t for the fact that it was easier to get and more PS titles

Besides, I' m waiting for Lost Odyssey. FF be damned!

' Region-free' , heh, I SERIOUSLY doubt it That' s basically giving a thumbs up to pirates everywhere =/ Like real if people aren' t going to stop buying pirated games just because they can play supposedly any region. It just means one less hurdle for pirates to crack.

Btw, Xbox 360 has already been succesfully cracked. The piracy shall began on the next-gen consoles very soon...
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 $500 bundle lacking features. - May 10, 2006 11:31
sony said they want to be region free to deter peopel from buying mod chips because they hate mod chips so they are makign it region free to be able to import games easily without the need of a mod chip. WHich i thought was the first time i agreed and thought wow that is really smart and made sense.

I read about the Xbox 360 crack but the hackers said it is so compex that they wil not spread it around and said it' s not even worth it.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message