Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is it worth it?
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 03:21
I have recently had the urge to start a DVD collection but can' t bring myself to do it.
Is it really worth it to spend the money on something you might watch a couple of times and then put away. I myself enjoy collecting almost anything but I like to collect things I will get good use out of so I am hesitant to start spending a bunch of money on a bunch of DVDs I will watch once or twice and then put it on the shelf. Once you watch a movie once or twice do you really feel like watching again over more recent movies?
Maybe my view would be different if I didn' t have to worry about money. Personally I would like to have a collection of DVDs but I don' t think I have the financial status at this point to invest in it.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 03:53
I will only buy a movie if i know the rewatch value is high. I don' t ahve cable of any form, so my dead hours are filled with movie watching. So, as that goes I have 150 movies and 50 odd dvd' s to date.

To alleviate cost, i will usually pick up new releases as previously viewed, and a lot of my collection is buying old classic movies that i love.

My problem now is, do I upgrade my VHS collection to DVD?
RavenShadow

RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 04:07
That may be another one of my problems
I usually don' t have a lot of down time because I am almost always keeping myself busy so I don' t usually have the time to sit down and watch movies

150 VHS to DVDs? Now that would be pricey
Could maybe get bundles on ebay, either way if they are older movies they would be cheap
But cheap x 150 = still expensive
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 15:12
I know the pain, I hate buying DVDs yet I love having them. They are just so expensive, getting a decent movie collection can end up costing more than a thousand bucks. There are other things I would like to do with a grand
RavenShadow

RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 17:02
Could always get them off ebay
But when building a collection you also have to watch for special editions and all that mentioned in the other thread
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 18:17
oh its def worth it, you kiddin me?? mine is def getting larger and its not even too much money if you spread it out corrrectly. if you really dont want to do it, try netflix or somethin...depends on if you WANT the movies, or if you just want to watch them.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 25, 2004 20:19
^ very true

Net flix + dvd burner = financial solution
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 26, 2004 03:33
Hollywood Video is where I pick up most of my DVD' s. They run these deals, 3 for $25, and have some really good movies. I do have an obsession with tv series DVD' s. I started with Family Guy, now I have In Living Color, and the Office...very addictive those are.
RavenShadow

RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 26, 2004 14:50
I like the TV series like simpsons, family guy and futurama
I do have local Hollywood video but they aren' t offering any good DVDs from what I' ve seen
I am more interested in acquiring newer DVDs than old classics so it makes it a bit more expensive
As I mentioned ebay sells some of the newer DVDs for pretty cheap so I might look into that some
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 28, 2004 00:17

I do have an obsession with tv series DVD' s. I started with Family Guy, now I have In Living Color, and the Office...very addictive those are.

I agree! I started off with Smallville back in May, then moved onto CHEERS, I recently got the complete Buck Rogers episodes, moving onto the Knight Rider series, also getting Friday The 13th the series. Really developing an obsession for TV series. Next when I can scrounge the money together I wanna get the Six Million Dollar Man complete episodes as well as Spectreman and Ultraman.. I WISH they would release The Man From Atlantis on DVD already, I want all of the episodes.
matthayter700

• Total Posts : 25
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 28, 2004 11:53

Is it really worth it to spend the money on something you might watch a couple of times and then put away.

In that case, a rental would do fine. Heck, sometimes I rent and re-rent movies that I want to watch about half a dozen times!
otaku

• Total Posts : 195
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 28, 2004 19:33
While I feel fine spending £40 odd on a game I most can never justify £10 on a DVD, espescially when I have Sky Plus where I can record films on TV, and anything that really does appeal to me I see in the Cinema. I only have a small TV at home which futher discourages me folking out £10 when I dont have the equipment to do the DVD justice!
RavenShadow

RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 30, 2004 04:24

In that case, a rental would do fine. Heck, sometimes I rent and re-rent movies that I want to watch about half a dozen times!

Renting does seem to be the most logical decision but for myself, I enjoy collecting things and enjoy the thought of the movie being mine and I can have a nice DVD case to put up on the shelf with the " others" and make it all look nice
RCOrcutt

• Total Posts : 27
RE: Is it worth it? - Jun 30, 2004 04:55
It is so worth it. I myself just got my 67th anime dvd and i re-watch them at least once every 6 months.
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: Is it worth it? - Jul 06, 2004 06:42
to date, i own no dvd' s, lol . I have 2 problems : 1) no dvd player (vhs & cassette & cd player only) 2) I have no money to buy dvd, i' d rather watch at friends house, theatres and spent $$$ on other stuff, like new computers, games, food, accesoires.

that' s about to change a bit, i' ll get the xbox dvd kit, then i' ll start owning dvd' s
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Is it worth it? - Jul 06, 2004 06:54
With the price of movie rentals today, if you rent something more than 2-3 times you' ve pretty much spent more money on borrowing the movie than to own it :)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll