Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Resident Evil 4
Preacher

• Total Posts : 70
Resident Evil 4 - Mar 27, 2004 00:21
God, am I glad they' ve actually done something to the Resi mould. If there' s one game series that' s improved very little over time besides FIFA, it' s resi.

So why have they chosen to completely retool Resident Evil now? Why couldn' t they have improved it from title to title? Resident Evil one was a revolution, absolutely no doubt. But every game after that and leading upto Resident Evil 0 has been plagued by the same problems over and over again: fairly rigid controls, poor AI (even for zombies) and the worst abuse of back-tracking known to gaming.

So ok, Resi 4 is a new setting, with a new control system and a choice of play perspectives. The big problem is, I' m just in two minds as to whether anyone cares anymore. Capcom are the absolute worst for milking franchises and to be honest, even if Resi 4 is a totally new game in every single sense, I feel that the franchise has been stagnant too long for anyone to care, save the most rampant of Resi fans.

Just wondering if there were any Resi fans on the forum who want to contest this opinion. If so, feel free and let' s get the ball rolling.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 27, 2004 03:21
I' ve played all the PS versions of RE and the DC version of Code Veronica. True, the series is basically a reiteration of the same formula and infact isn' t that scary other than a few moments that really get your heart pumping. I personally don' t mind seeing series drawn out as long as they stay good. Sequals can be good or bad. If it' s just a rehash it has a strong chance of sucking. If the original was good from the start though the formula may still be good as long as a new story/characters/graphics/control scheme is implemented to some degree.

I actually feel this new RE may attract some more attention due to the movie sequal coming out this summer I believe. The movie may draw people into it.
Preacher

RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 27, 2004 06:23
The first Resi movie actually wasn' t that bad, even if it did have nothing to do with the storyline of the game. It was directed by Paul Anderson (Who I believe is also doing the sequel), who directed the shockingly half-decent Mortal Kombat...but not the sequel, Mortal Kombat annhilation, possibly the worst movie ever made....ever.

The only thing is, I don' t know whether the film needs the game to bring in an audience or vice versa. I just hope Resi 4 lives upto expectations. I expect the film sequel will, given Andersons track record.
< Message edited by Preacher -- 3/27/2004 6:26:41 AM >
Rampage99

RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 27, 2004 14:30
Resident Evil the movie didn' t follow the story line of the first game because it wasn' t meant to. It was meant to show how the virus actually started.

The game and movie may not rely on eachother, but really all they can do is help eachother unless one turns out completely horrible (which I kinda doubt).
Preacher

RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 28, 2004 12:29
I just realised Resi Evil: Apocalypse director is also handling Alien vs Predator, which technically is another movie based on a game (or the dark horse comic book series, whichever you like I suppose).

If you' ve not seen the Resi evil apocalypse trailer, check it out, it' s a cool pastiche of every other facial beauty ad ever.
Rampage99

RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 28, 2004 14:04
I saw some extra footage of the movie(RE:A) and I was a bit dissapointed to see that the main girl and Nemesis get into a kung fu fight. Nemesis is supposed to be a massive lumbering beast with a big ass rocket launcher, not a huge ninja
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 28, 2004 14:35
Then theres the whole scene where Nemesis and Alice team up.

I' ve played every RE game excluding all of those FPS esque games and Nemesis (basically watched someone play through the whole game). I still like the series but there were something things that needed to be changed. The biggest would be the controls...perhaps a control scheme similar to Devil May Cry, just without all of the flashy moves.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 30, 2004 17:05
I' d just like to say that the RE movie SUCKED.

I' m done.
Rampage99

RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 31, 2004 02:57
[:' (]
santo

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Resident Evil 4 - Mar 31, 2004 04:51
Yeah, the movie did suck... at least the sequel looks a *little* more promising.

As for RE4, it definitely looks like the best game in the series to date. Maybe trading zombies for angry townsfolk will pay off.
< Message edited by santo -- 3/31/2004 4:51:30 AM >
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: Resident Evil 4 - Apr 04, 2004 17:15
Resident evil 4 looks great! new cameras and stuff.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_residentevil4_4.aspx

The trailer shows it all. Awesome!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread