Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force???
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 04, 2003 05:46
My friend was playing it earlier and he told me all about how sucktastic the game was supposed to be. However, I just had to play the game for myself, so I went out and rented it.

I admit, when I first started playing the game I was sorely unimpressed. I was ready to call this one of the most overrated games I’ve ever played. The first two levels were incredibly boring and I was thinking about returning the game early.

Fortunately I was smart enough to continue playing on a little further. I’m currently up to the level where you get the sniper and honestly – the game’s fun.

The game has some problems with the aiming that still pisses me off, but it’s nowhere near as bad as my friends made it out to be, and nowhere near as bad as some of the slack other posters have been giving it.

It’s not, “Make ya forget Halo ever existed” good, but I’m starting to believe this is a title that is “Worthy of that Fifty.”

It was boring at first, but I only had that one person to choose from. Now that I can choose from all four I absolutely love switching between players on the fly and deciding what is the best tactic to get past the next crop of enemies.

I could sit here and further nitpick the game apart (like those horrible cutscenes, and this craptastic storyline), but I’m enjoying the game and that’s all that matters.

I had a friend who was heavily into Conflict Desert Storm, so I think he might like this as well. And depending on my own cash flow, I might be picking this up after the rental.

Now I’ve said my piece about the game, what about you?
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 05, 2003 02:05
Haven' t played it yet. All 15 copys were sold out at my locla movie rental place. I wasn' t to happy. I did rent Ghost Recon though and that game is pretty fun.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 05, 2003 16:28
I had this game pre-ordered, and I picked it up last weekend. I play most of the way through the game, and then returned it.

It' s not that the game was bad; it was actually quite good. It' s just that I knew I' d never play it again once I had beaten it, and it just wasn' t all that much fun to play. I can' t really explain why. It seemed to be like your typical, generic third-person shooter, without too much added to it.

Given the sheer amount of hype surrounding the game, I guess you could say I was disappointed I didn' t find a keeper in Brute Force. But I AM glad that I played it (well, most of it), and I would definitely recommend a rent to those that may be interested.

I basically agree with GameSpot' s review of the game (7.6), although I would lean closer to an 8.0....maybe.
Rampage99

RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 05, 2003 23:28
I will never trust a Gamespot review of an Xbox game.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 06, 2003 04:54
Brute Force = One of the best games on the ' Box

The game is absolutely great IMO.

It jumped from being utter crap during my first go around -> Kinda so so -> Man this is pretty damn good -> OMG! I can' t get enough of this freakin' game!

There' s just something unique about Brute Force that seperates it from the rest of the crop. On the surface the game doesn' t seem like much, but the deeper you go the more you get sucked in.

I was never big on strategy type games, so I wouldn' t like a pure strategy game (can' t remember the prefix of those), but Brute Foce offers this special blend of realtime strategy and flat out action.

There' s just something about games that require you to use strategy that suck me in easily. When I get past a level I get that sense of accomplishment that you can only get when you know you got past it using skill and skill alone.

It' s really hard to describe the type of gameplay Brute Force has. It' s like Conflict Desert Storm but shwaaay better. Before Halo, I didn' t like FPS. And just like Halo, Brute Force has made me like this genre as well.

I would suggest to anyone who' s thinking about quitting early because the game isn' t everything you hoped for to at least give it another chance. The game' s awesome.

No doubt it has some rough edges, but it' s not enough to keep it from being one of my fav games I' ve played on the ' Box.
HELLBENT

• Total Posts : 58
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 06, 2003 06:00
Man-o-man..... For me Brute Force is a mixed bag. If I had to sum up my feelings on the game I would have to say I love, like and hate the game altogether.

Love:
-Cool concept of controlling and elite squad with individual special powers.
-The environmental effects displayed in some of the stages.[buzzing insects, volcanic ash blowing in the wind, passing clouds in the sky reminicint of Oddworld.
-Badass weaponry.
-Flint. Sexy cyborg that would just as soon shoot you!
-Brutus' s Vengar special. Reminds me of the Predator.
-Hawk' s special. Predator like invisibility is always cool!

Like:
-The way they implimented the control of the squad. With the D-pad and that little squad icon in the corner you could take control or issue commands to any member of your team at a moments notice. Really, really cool!
-The overall atomosphere of the game just feels good. Not great. Not horrible. Just good and solid.
-Halo like controls. Virtually identical in fact. Come to think of it the game menus are damn near the same too! Maybe this is why the game was delayed? They saw that they were making a stinker of a game in Brute Force and figure what a better way to recusscitate a dead game than to infuse life into it with aspects of the best Xbox game to date.[multi-player is included here, but I havn' t had a chance to play that part of the game yet.] Just a thought......
-Tex is a pretty decent character. Kinda standard, but cool none the less.

Hate:
-Despite the loooong ass delay, this game still feels rushed and incomplete in some areas. The concept of the game, as I mentioned above, I really like.[oops LOVE its in the love category]. Anyhow despite the cool concept it doesnt feel fully realized. It doesnt have an epic feel. It leaves you wanting and expecting more.
-Hawk' s special. Despite its coolness, its too short to be of any real use except except quick peek-a-boo reconniscence(however the hell you spell it). When you consider that a lot of enimies stay hidden until you are actually seen, Hawk' s spy runs are pretty useless cuz they cant see you. So when you run into an area that you thought was safe, you get ambushed by a bunch of guys that werent there before.[swamp level is a prime example]
-Level design is really horrible IMO. With the squad aspect of the game they could have really exploited it to the fullest with clever level design. They didnt. Trying to be stratigic in this game doesnt go well. When you try to position your sniper for some prime long distance kills it doesnt go well because the enemy can spot you from a mile away! What the hell is the purpose of a sniper with a supposed cybernetic advantage that gets spotted before she can aquire her target?! Its better to run in a pack with Flint and Hawk with snipes and Tex and Brutus in special mode and just run and gun. Strategy out the window......

If you look at my love, like, hate list, a few of them are kinda in different categories, so it looks like I contradict myself at times. However this aspect just reinforces my claim that this game needs more refinment. Even though this game was miserably delayed, it needed to say on the drawing board a little longer.

So if you take my love and my hate and they cancel each other out, then I guess they average out to like. Yes, I LIKE this game. But I expected so much more.......
< Message edited by HELLBENT -- 6/6/2003 6:02:56 AM >
Rampage99

RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 06, 2003 16:41
So you are saying it is worth a rent?
HELLBENT

• Total Posts : 58
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 06, 2003 18:31
Absolutely worth a rent! You have to at least play long enough until you assemble your entire squad of 4 members. After that play at least 4 missions in, then make a judgement call on the game. Brute Force is not a bad game at all. Its a really good game that could have been great IMO.
drew93084

• Total Posts : 114
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Jun 09, 2003 04:07
you have to keep playing and let it grow on you

not a complete flop like Cubies want to make it
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Nov 13, 2003 13:42
Brute Forced pissed me off when someone called it a " Halo Killer" . After playing the game I had to play Ghost Recon for 3 hours to get the eye burning yo stop. The game was so boring it made solitare look fun again, it' s sound sucked more than the original GB, and the graphics made my eyes bleed as much as Splinter Cell (but not in the good way splinter cell did)
Rampage99

RE: Who here likes, who here loves, and who here HATES Brute Force??? - Nov 13, 2003 19:51
HAven' t seen this thread in a while. Well, I ended up playing it and it was in no way a " Halo Killer" . Far from it infact. It was " good" at best. Nothing really stood out. Even though graphics were crisp the enviroments and enemies were bland and repetitive. Overall I wasn' t to big on it.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll