Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised)
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 28, 2006 19:17
Some time ago Kutaragi said they want to incorporate the next gen HDMI into PS3, the problem was that it wasn' t finalised at that time.

Right now it' s been finalised , it' s called HDMI 1.3 and supports 48 Bit Colour Palette and it is in PS3 specs as of right now
-in comparison 360 is 24 bit.

Another thing is that, while you can decode DD truHD and DTS HD (next-gen surround formats) on your receiver with toslink cable - those formats will be carried in their native form only through HDMI 1.3 - which means PS3 has another edge over 360 - uncompressed surround sound.

At least now you see why they need blue-ray for games.

I may be a Sony hater but I love good hardware and this sweet little twist in PS3 specs is very nice.

While it means nothing today - this could be a huge thing for PS3 in the near future.(HD TVs supporting it will come out in Q4 2006)

Here' s a great and in-depth story from the one and only I G N :)

http://gear.ign.com/articles/715/715311p1.aspx

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 28 Jun 06 11:25:33 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 28, 2006 20:04
Core package doesnt support HDMI,and you cant upgrade to it,ever.

So you cant develop for HDMI above 24-bit in mind.
Also..

While most current-generation HDTVs do not have the capacity to display such an expanded color pallet, the recent advances in LCD technology announced by eCinema and AOU will bring such capabilities to market as early as Q4 2006.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 28 Jun 06 12:14:17 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 28, 2006 20:25
Wow, so LCD' s will finally rival the display quality of CRT' s. Impressive...

This means ZERO to the average consumer. Firstly, the TV' s required to display 30, 36 and 48 Bit colour (and it wasn' t stated exactly WHAT Bit the PS3' s HDMI 1.3 will support) won' t be available until March next year at the earliest. I don' t know where IGN got their information but Toshiba have said March 2007 so i guess that would be more accurate.

So since there are no TV' s that support up to 48 Bit colour and it also requires buying a flat panel display. Pricey you would guess.

I posted about HDMI 1.3 in the ' Everything Else' forum more than a week ago. This is old news, but...

It' s also quite possible game developers will not venture into 36- and 48-Bit color, as the HDMI-lacking low-end PS3 would not be able to support them, unless developers can scale the color pallet easily on the PS3. This may limit the actual benefit of HDMI 1.3 to the PS3 to Blu-ray movie playback and nothing else

As Quez already noted, since the lower end model doesn' t have HDMI, it' s unlikely games will use more than the current 24 Bit standard and so this has ZERO effect on us. This is only worth noting if you have high hopes for Blu-Ray and don' t have a HDTV yet.
]GaNgStA[

RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 03:54
and then there' s the next gen sound with it
Wolfjack

• Total Posts : 36
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 04:12
HDMI1.3 is going to mean precisely nothing to the average consumer.

Sony were making a big deal about the quicker reading speeds of Blu-Ray, but that didn' t mean much either because the rest of the hardware doesn' t even demand it.
]GaNgStA[

RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 08:16
I think it' s quite the opposite - while HD resolutions and specs and HDMI 1.3 are pure magic for mainstream user, they are the selling points.

He hears about some numbers and stupid things and he believes that PS3 is the future and you will live eternally thanks to it.

Another thing is that HD and HDMI 1.3 isn' ttargeted at avarage user at this point.

PS3 can pump uncompressed 5.1 surround sound and 48bit colour palette through one cable.It could mean nothing , but it could mean a lot too.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 08:27

PS3 can pump uncompressed 5.1 surround sound and 48bit colour palette through one cable.

Stop pushng this. You (we) have no idea what the PS3 cable will be capable of. HMDI 1.3 will be split into 30, 36, and 48-Bit colour and not only doesn nobody know what Sony will use but nobody even knows whwther GAME developers will venture outside the already in-use 24-Bit pallet.
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 29 Jun 06 0:27:28 >
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 08:36
Now we talk about the premium package,that will cost 800 USD.
And we have no idea if developer gonna implant something that only works on one package.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 29 Jun 06 0:36:17 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 10:29
While the average consumer may not reap the rewards of 48 bit color, or the new HDMI standard, it is refreshing to see something positive posted about Sony. (not by fanboy n00bs that is) Not that they deserve it or anything, but bashing them get' s a little boring honestly.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 10:43
boo!
Dyack

• Total Posts : 61
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 12:52
Definetly not an advantage by any stroke of the imagination.

#1 The cheaper model doesn' t support hdmi at all.
#2 Even if they decided to take advantage of the color pallete how much of a difference will it truly make? All one need do is look at Viva Pinata, Blue Dragon, Kameo and many other games out there to realize we are just fine right now as far as colors go.

Is someone going to look at the Xbox360 then the PS3 and say look at the ps3' s colors lets go buy that? In most cases the majority of people wont even be able to tell if something is using 24 or 48 bit colors

It gives the ps3 no serious advantages because in the end the cpu still has to do its job and the gpu as well needs to do its job. If the ps3 gpu isn' t capable of outperforming the 360 gpu then a color palette wont change that. To be honest the biggest impact HDMI 1.3 will have is movie playback a gamer doesn' t care one way or the other. I don' t see someone not buying Halo 3 or Ninja Gaiden 2 because of its color palette. Sure it affects games, but not enough to help the ps3 beat the 360 like some people might assume.

Also yea HDMI 1.3 on the ps3 is definetly good news for a change, but ultimately will it have a serious impact on the games?
< Message edited by dyack -- 29 Jun 06 4:54:20 >
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 18:24
.....wasn' t there some sort of big deal about colours during the sega v nintendo days?... ...something about the Snes being able to produce double the amount of on-screen colours over the Genesis?..

...anyway, i don' t know if there was any difference between x-box and PS2 games in regard to onscreen colours, but the vassssst majority of PS2 games always looked murky and washed-out..... ..compared to xbox and gamecube titles.... ...which (along with the jaggies) did put me of a lot of their games.....

....even the fantastic port of Resi4 suffered badly from muddy tones and hues.....
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 19:42

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

...anyway, i don' t know if there was any difference between x-box and PS2 games in regard to onscreen colours, but the vassssst majority of PS2 games always looked murky and washed-out..... ..compared to xbox and gamecube titles.... ...which (along with the jaggies) did put me of a lot of their games.....

....even the fantastic port of Resi4 suffered badly from muddy tones and hues.....

So so true I thought it was probably my eyes failing me. The way I look at it though is that if the ps3 outdoes the 360 they' ll be a huge uproar about how it ' ' pwns' ' an all (even though I the xbox was more powerful than the ps2 heck even the gamecube held it' s ground) and even if the 360 is proven more powerful graphic wise and the rest there' s still gonna be reasons people come up with to get the ps3 so I think it' s gonna be what people feel more comfortable with, most interesting and flexible library and exciting online content.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 19:53
I always thought the murky grey and washed out colours on the PS2 made
it look unique from the other consoles... Although it looked dull, it gave it its own
characteristic, I particularly like MGS2...
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jun 29, 2006 19:57
To be honest mgs2 was good i' ll give it that.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jul 01, 2006 21:28
...actually, to be fair, the PS2 finally seems to be producing the visuals that we all expected waaaay back when it was first launched, on a regular basis....

....God of War, Black, Tekken 5, Okami, Final Fantasy XII...

....it' s like other people out side of Kijoma' s crew have finally figured (or been bothered) how to produce worthwhile visuals on it.....

...shame we had to wait five years for it though...
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 to have one significant advantage over 360 (if properly utilised) - Jul 01, 2006 21:52
But now you mention games like ff12+God of war 2 that isn' t even out in USA/EU yet...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll