Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development?
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Feb 27, 2003 19:16
I realize that MS Studios isn’t exactly considered the holy grail of game development. But to their credit, they have produced some amazing games throughout their time. However, all of MS’ best games seem to be/been on the PC and not the X-Box. With the X-Box, it seems that a lot of their software is heavily focused to attract a more mainstream audience as opposed to some more of the niche crowds in the PC market. Games like Whacked, Kung Fu Chaos, and a few other titles. And it’s not that I mind MS making mainstream games, it’s just that – they ain’t that good. So I was wondering, do you think MS should stick with making more mainstream games, or would you like to see them produce X-Box games similar to how they produce PC games, and that is much bigger and a lot more well developed?

I should clarify I' m talking about games made *only* by Microsoft itself (No buy-outs or games they just published. Games *MS* has made). So while Halo 2 is obviously going to be huge, it' s not a Microsoft made game. It' s made by Bungie who' ve existed long before the X-Box was even conceived. I should also clarify I' m not talking about advertisement dollars as well. Only game development.

So in regards to producing games for the X-Box; do you think MS should focus on mainstream games like Whacked and Kung Fu Chaos, or should it focus more on huge and well developed games like it does for the PC?

The One, The only One
- The Lotus One
Kabuki Magnifico

• Total Posts : 24
RE: Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Feb 28, 2003 04:14
Microsoft needs to publish/develope more RPG' s. They are the only system that is basically pretending like the genre doesn' t even exist. They need more than Morrowind and Fable, people like variety..
< Message edited by Kabuki Magnifico -- 2/28/2003 4:15:39 AM >
drew93084

• Total Posts : 114
RE: Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Feb 28, 2003 14:34
I' m guessing RPG' s and stuff like Splinter Cell

Sports is pretty much locked up by gay EA...I think SEGA is even about to drop out of that department

Anyway RPG' s ,action
Sonikles

• Total Posts : 14
RE: Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Mar 02, 2003 01:07
I don' t care what game Microsoft should focus it' s attention on. As long as they are making sure the game they are trying to appeal people with has good gameplay it doesn' t matter. I also think they need rpg' s to attract the consumers who are hesitant to purchase the xbox because its lacking in that area .
Eman1080

• Total Posts : 77
RE: Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Mar 02, 2003 04:12

ORIGINAL: Sonikles

I don' t care what game Microsoft should focus it' s attention on. As long as they are making sure the game they are trying to appeal people with has good gameplay it doesn' t matter. I also think they need rpg' s to attract the consumers who are hesitant to purchase the xbox because its lacking in that area .

I agree
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Mar 02, 2003 05:19
2 places they need a lot of work in: RPG' s and Sports. NFL Fever 2003 was horrible, and I mean horrible. It seems that the in house games from Microsoft always accomplish showing off some nice graphics but fall short almost every time in the gameplay area. Perhaps they should buy 2 companies that specialize in the areas they are weak in. Of course no one will feel safe with a " bought" company anymore since Nintendo and Rare parted.
Toast

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Where do you think MS should focus its attention when it comes to game development? - Mar 08, 2003 22:53
I feel that rather than making RPG' s themselves Microsoft need to get more out of their publishers. Continue working on the Japanese industry. As a company goal they need to focus on their internet infrastructure building it for " XBox Next" then bring a large variety quality of budget titles. Again shifting units. Then any holes in the XBox lineup should gradually drift away.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll