Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Arcane languages
PeyloW

• Total Posts : 64
Arcane languages - Feb 25, 2003 16:46
Oh well, why not post a little something about my new found interest; arcane languages and especially Old Norse! Old Norse was spoken in Scandinavia from approximately 500 AC to 1300 AC before splitting up in more distinct language branches. Old Norse is a Germanic language with close relations to Anglo-Saxon (Also called Old English), close enough for any Scandinavian and Englishmen to speak on a daily basis without more trouble then more exotic dialects today. Which makes it ever more interesting for the Scandinavian and english Danelaw connections, but on that one could write a book on its own.

Why not just write something in Old Norse and then take it from there:
Ek heitir Peylowr, ok er Swenskr. Ek kveðja þau.

Ek - I
heitir - Is named/called
Peylowr - Object in sentences and subjects of is/name and other " equals too" verbs when declining gets an -r added to itself.
ok - and / as well
er - am/is/are (Yes all in one)
Swenskr - Swedish, same as for Peylow with the -r.
Ek - I already tolt you that one.
kveðja - greet / polite hello
þau - you, for three or more persons of mixed sexes. If you are all men it would be þá and all female are þær. Proper pronouns are quite hard to memorize as you have the basic " I, you, he, she, it" (Accusative) and " me, you, him, her, it" in english, but old norse decline them strongly for plural both for only two and for more then two (English plural of I=we, Old norse has I, we(two), and we(more then two of us)). Oh well you get the point.

Ð/ð character is called eth and pronounced like th in there.
Þ/þ character (yes first one is capital) is called thorn and is pronounced like th in thin.

Oh well, now you should be able to tell people who you are, where you are from and hello like a proper Viking :).

And bonus to anyone who can translate this:
Ek heitir Fredrikr, ok á baug en eigi kniv. Olafr á kniv, hann vegr mik ok takr bauginn.
.BigRedMachine.

• Total Posts : 17
RE: Arcane languages - Feb 26, 2003 14:44
I can get a ways with that, but the problem is that my CPU isn' t showing the native characters. So I can' t see all the letters. It' s just showing a square.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll