Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 16, 2006 15:45
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20556847-2,00.aspx

Some quotes from the article:

Laser vision ... Australian Dr Larry Marshall (L) and France' s Jean-Michel Pelaprat pose before the world' s first laser television, which they say uses less power, has more colour range and costs half the price of LCD and plasma screens

“If you look at any screen today, the colour content is roughly about 30-35 per cent of what the eye can see,” he said.

“But for the very first time with a laser TV we' ll be able to see 90 per cent of what the eye can see.

“All of a sudden what you see is a lifelike image on display.”

How about for gaming? Would for example, having a HD Laser TV in future be incompatible with current HD-ready consoles like the 360 and PS3?

Either way, I' m going to try to get a large-screen one to replace my projection TV (it burst into flames the next day [literally] when I played 4 hours of Xbox the night before)
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 16, 2006 21:26
PS3 supports HDMI 1.3 meaning 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths could be utilized.

Right now you get 24-bit.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 16, 2006 22:19
Yeah I made a thread about laser televisions the other day, people here seemed to be dissapointed that it was so much more advanced then LCDs. Still I would wait till the end of 07 before buying a HD tv, the market is going to make a lot of innovations in the next year and a HD TV is truely going to look like crap compared to the ones they will have a year form now.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Oct 06 16:34:29 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 17, 2006 10:00
I' m not all that thrilled about more color, if only because I don' t know what I' m missing. However, if it' s better for cheaper, that' s always a good thing.
Agent Ghost

RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 17, 2006 10:12
Imagine a TV with three times the colour as anything else while looking brighter and sharper, uses one quarter of the power consuption and the TV itself is half the price of LCDs of a comparable size.

Laser TVs aren' t just a little better, they will trample LCDs, LCDs suck and its about time the good stuff starts rolling out.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 17 Oct 06 2:32:39 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 17, 2006 10:29
Well everyone knows plasma TVs suck. Why don' t they compare them to DLP TVs? DLPs are the best 40" + TVs right now.
Agent Ghost

RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 17, 2006 10:32
Laser TVs are projection based like DLPs, of course Lasers will be better then even DLPs. Better then anything on the market to date. Laser TVs look more promissing then SED tvs in my opinion.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 18, 2006 00:29
so the plasma TV sucks? compared to what ?? how much does it cost again?
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 18, 2006 02:27

original: Abasoufiane

so the plasma TV sucks? compared to what ?? how much does it cost again?

Theyre more expensive and prone to " burn-in" similar to projections. As for price, I really dont know, but I do know that a DLP is w/ the new (TI) Chips inside are better in quality and cheaper in most cases.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 18, 2006 02:57

Imagine a TV with three times the colour as anything else while looking brighter and sharper, uses one quarter of the power consuption and the TV itself is half the price of LCDs of a comparable size.

I can imagine sharper, and I can definately imagine cheaper, but I can' t imagine the color thing, maybe I' m just broken.

Edit: Thanks Kikizo, the new avatar rocks!!
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 18, 2006 04:09
My biggest and only real concern is whether these lazer TV' s are going to be another fixed resolution display. In which case it doesn' t really offer anything much better than LCD or Plasma overall, other than at it' s naitive resolution.

Companies need to start looking more closely at how at CRT worked to produce multiple resolutions naitively without any scalling, and implement a similar method for use in flat displays. Otherwise we might as well just have a bulky tube if the technology is still the most flexable.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 18, 2006 04:53

Otherwise we might as well just have a bulky tube if the technology is still the most flexable.

Bulky tube monitors FTW!

It' s interesting, don' t get me wrong, but I tend to not be a huge early adopter, especially when it comes to relitavely expensive electronics. It' s the reason I' m not touching the HD war with a 10-ft pole.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 17 Oct 06 20:54:56 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Laser TV - Affordable and better alternative - Oct 18, 2006 05:16
Yeah, we had a thread about this garbage already. Welcome to last week.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll