Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 18, 2004 12:44
I personally like Risk and Stratego, but recently have turned my eyes toward games like the one mentioned in the article below...

What' s your fave strategy game?

Kessen III comes to America

Third entry in Koei' s real-time strategy series to cross the Pacific in early 2005.
Koei announced today that Kessen III, the latest in the publisher' s real-time strategy series set in historical Japan, will be released in North America sometime in the first quarter of 2005. Produced by Kou Shibusawa, whose previous work includes most of Koei' s seminal military strategy series from Romance of the Three Kingdoms to Nobunaga' s Ambition, Kessen III continues the series tradition of adding action-oriented gameplay and massive battles to the strategy formula.

As previously reported by GameSpot News, Kessen III will feature major changes to the franchise. Players will step into the clogs of legendary warlord Oda Nobunaga as he attempts to unify the Japanese mainland. More action-oriented gameplay will accompany a new nonlinear stage selection, an officer and troop deployment system, and the ability to equip officers with a selection of more than 450 different types of weapons and armor. Additionally, two hours of cinematic sequences will tell the game' s story.

By Chris Kohler -- GameSpot

fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 18, 2004 17:29
I really only like turn-based strategy, just because I think it provides the time necessary to deal with the insane number of options that are presented to the player. Phantom Brave, the third installment in the fantastic " trilogy" that began with Disgaea, was said to be " the deepest strategy game ever made." It' s those kinds of things I really like; it' s why FFT is my favorite game of all time.
IORI YAGAMI1211

• Total Posts : 185
RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 19, 2004 15:35
I agree with fathoms. i LOVE FFT and Vandal Hearts. dont get me wrong, i like Age of Empires and Age of Mythogloy, but i love turn-based strategy. besides turn-based games have better story lines. i mean how many times are they going to make the same game over and over(Nobunaga and his many,many,many games about the same time period)
fathoms

RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 19, 2004 18:14

besides turn-based games have better story lines.

Absolutely, positively.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 20, 2004 02:58
I never particularly cared for Kessen. That type of stategy game belongs on PC. There is just too much to do for one controller. On the PC, my favorite strategy games are the Total War games.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 24, 2004 05:16
I really like strategy games but haven' t played many.
Final Fantasy Tactics would have to be my favorite though
It is maybe the only game I played through more than once
fathoms

RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 24, 2004 06:01
Raven: I don' t know if you' ve played them, but besides the strategy/RPG' s on the PS2 (Ring of Red, Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Dynasty Tactics, etc.), here are a few PSOne strategy/RPG' s that I thought were great:

Vandal Hearts II- VERY good, much better than the original, almost three times as long, and a wonderfully unique approach to the genre.

Saiyuke Journey West- Tough to find, but still one of the best. This has great design and a great story, and it' s also loaded with a lot of cool side stuff.

Hoshigami- Not as good as the other two, but definitely worth picking up if you can find it. It' s long, deep, and contains a decent story.

yoshimitsu15

RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 24, 2004 07:40
I liked the Arc the Lad collection, but I' ve heard it' s kind of hard to find as well.
fathoms

RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 25, 2004 05:51
Yeah, Arc Chronicles was good, but it takes an IMMENSE amount of time, and isn' t quite as spectacular as I would' ve hoped. The Arc for the PS2 is is okay, too, but again, nothing all that great. Lunar (although not a strategy/RPG) is a much better Working Designs franchise, IMO.
yoshimitsu15

RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 25, 2004 07:53
Well if we want to get down to Working Design franchises...Grandia is it for me. It' s got a little strategy, but nowhere near Arc or Lunar (haven' t played that series though). I still think that Grandia' s battle system is the best of all RPG' s out today.
ultimaknight

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 25, 2004 12:46
I would say Final Fantasy Tactics and the Warcraft series are the best for me. Also the best strategy game, even though some people would disagree, is Counterstrike. It' s a first person shooter but if your in clan wars then you have to be strategic.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Strategy Games...Your Favorite(s)? - Oct 25, 2004 17:03
I find strategy games take far too long to get into. However I have played a few with Saiyuki probably being my favourite.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll