Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ancient sea monster discovered
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
Ancient sea monster discovered - Aug 18, 2004 15:53

Ancient sea monster discovered in Manitoba
Last Updated Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:41:38 EDT

MORDEN, MAN. - Scientists working near Morden, Man. have unearthed a prehistoric marine creature – one of the largest fossilized creatures ever uncovered in the province.

Last summer, amateur paleontologist Joe Brown stumbled upon bone fragments in a field near Morden, about 100 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg.
The plesiosaur discovered near Morden is expected to be twice the size of this one in the Morden Museum.

" It was unexpected out in the middle of a field," said Brown. " I thought that the whole area had been totally dug up and recovered with soil, but those cows are amazing!"

Brown uncovered the breastplate of a plesiosaur, a sea creature that swam about 65 million years ago in a sea that covered most of Manitoba.

Paleontologists from the Morden Musuem are now excavating the site. So far, they have dug about one metre deep, unearthing other large bones including vertebrae, ribs, teeth and jaw fragments making up about half of the creature' s skeleton.

This kind of stuff always amazes me.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message