Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 07:31
Gear.IGN

Sony has announced today that it will cut the price of its BDP-S300 stand-alone Blu-ray player by $100. The formerly $599 player will now carry a list price of $499. Sony representatives told the Associated Press the price drop was a response to declining manufacturing costs and increased demand for Blu-ray players.

One more jab in the right direction for a PS3 price cut, if only to stay competitive with their standalone player.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 08:00
This is totaly crazy as it always was, a blu ray for 500$ while the ps3 is just 100$ more... can we conclude that the ps3 as a console worth only 100$ ?? and who in fact bought blu ray players for 900$ while leaving the ps3 at a 600$ ?? i don' t fucking understand this pricing strategy nor i can understand people who bought these players... the right price for the blu ray player should be no more than 400$.

so suppose that ps3 price will be cut to saay 500$ or 550$ ?? again why in hell would i buy a blu ray player ? is just because i ONLY need that for movies so i won' t give a damn about that " bonus" which is the ps3 ?? but for 100$ more i can use ps3 not only for movies , but also to surf the web, see my videos , pictures, a " console" and much more to come...

please tell me again why would i buy a blu ray player for 500$ and leave the ps3 for 600$ , the situation will be worse if they cut ps3 price.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 09:41
dont forget about the ps3 20gb [which is discontiued] but none the less it was 500.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 09:48
Aren' t the standalone players suppose to be better in quality?
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 10:06

Aren' t the standalone players suppose to be better in quality?

it better be, that' s the leaast they can do, that deal is crap

dont forget about the ps3 20gb [which is discontiued] but none the less it was 500.

this is embarassing
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 13:41
Consoles are subsidized, the PS3 more so than any other console before it. Console manufacturers make truck loads of money with the games so they can afford to lose money on the hardware, and they should. Although if Sony is pushing their luck when they lose hundredds on each PS3. For this reason I' m not convinced that we' ll see a price drop for the PS3 immediately after the prices drop for BR players.

One of the reasons BluRay and HD-DVD players are so expensive is in addition to the R&D, new laser diodes you also need a beefy proccessor in the HD players to proccess the high bit rate video and sound. I read that some early Toshiba HD DVD players had a Pentium 4 and a gig of RAM. So these things are like mini computers. Once the research and development is paid off and specialized proccessors get cost reduced the prices will go down.

This pretty much explains why the BluRay player in the PS3 and the HD-DVD add-on is cheaper than dedicated players. It' s because the PS3 and 360 already have the proccessors to decode the data off the disc. That and the fact that they' re mass produced by Sony and MS at cost.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 05, 2007 14:05
Taking into account they buy parts in MASS, a Pentium 4 would cost them like $30 max, a gig of ram.... probably slow ass generic ram cost them $50 at most.

$80 does not equal $999 (initial price these players came out at) there is no way the diode costs $919
< Message edited by emofag -- 5 Jun 07 6:06:17 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 06, 2007 04:20
No, but they were quite pricy. It doesn' t add up I know, but you know how much corporations love to lose cash for the consumer.

I' m still predicting a $100 price drop coupled with an advertising blowout sometime in the winter months.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: BDR Player Price Cuts, PS3 to Follow? - Jun 06, 2007 04:35
Well in the case of BluRay they had a lot of R&D. New factories had to be opened just to prduce these new laser diodes, early adopters are paying for the factories. Combine that with relatively small addoption rate (early in the game) you get high prices.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll